UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Do you root for Siena

This question was been debated in the Varsity Club tent before the final home football game. Quite honestly, I was surprised at how many UAlbany alums and season ticket holders regularly attend Siena games and root for Siena as the "local" team, with the obvious exception of when we play each other. I think my position is well known - I root for Siena to lose every game and don't like to spend my money toward their athletic budget, so I generally will attend one Siena game every few years if it's a special occasion, like when Xavier was here.

I had thought that perhaps the feelings were generational and that we, who were students in the 60s and 70s when the rivalry was much more intense were more prone to my position, while younger fans, who did not grow up with the rivalry (at least on the athletic front) and at a time when the Siena basketball program was the best show in town were more prone to the other side. But, the Varsity Club conversation seemed to cross generational lines.

Anyway, it seems like it could be an interesting topic to discuss this week, so, what does everyone think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I root for them also, just not against us, and now, other AE teams. I've said before, I want both teamsto get in NCAAs in same year. I was around when the rivalry was intense, played against them in football. I go to Siena basketball games whenever there's no conflict with UA games. I guess I'm getting soft in my old age.

I will route for Siena if it makes it to the NCAA's any other time it is strictly UA.

But I will admit I wish both teams well because I like to see UA opponents strong, because when we win against them it just makes our program look better, and if we lose it just gives us a goal to reach the next time around.

I guess I've always enjoyed a good fight against a worthy foe.

You HAVE to root for Siena when you are not playing them. I walked to the armory in the late 50's and 60's to see them play and when I got to play aganist them it made the victories sweeter because of who they played. I know Siena and UA both say it isn't a rivalry BUT, when 8-10,000 people pay to see the game on Saturday---it isn't just another game---at least not to the OLDTIMERS!

Sorry fellow Danes I can not support and/or Cheer for $iena!!! The other day a student asked me who my favorite college team was... I replied to is question by saying, "you know that we go to a DI school right?!" he said no... I laughed and told him that he has one guess... Go DaNeS!!!" I'm a Great Dane for life and I'm happy to say that when I graduate in the spring I will be back in the fall for grad. school. :-) see you guys Saturday!

P.S. I heard a crazy thing the other day and maybe someone can clear this up for me. Someone told me that there's a player on Siena (some big guy maybe it's # 11) that was found by their coach when he was on vacation in Costa Rica (or somewhere down south) is there any truth to this?

alum73 you must be "getting soft" in your old age ...

I root for them also, just not against us, and now, other AE teams. I've said before, I want both teams to get in NCAAs in same year.  - alum73

i've taken too many "superior quality of siena basketball" digs from family members who are siena alums/athletes to root for them ... i can, however, understand the position stated by B9j2j6s (and i'm sure backed by all on the board), " ... I've always enjoyed a good fight against a worthy foe." ... tough not to hope they are at a high level each time we meet them ... it is all just a matter of where you draw the line

You HAVE to root for Siena when you are not playing them.  I walked to the armory in the late 50's and 60's to see them play and when I got to play aganist them it made the victories sweeter because of who they played.  I know Siena and UA both say it isn't a rivalry BUT, when 8-10,000 people pay to see the game on Saturday---it isn't just another game---at least not to the OLDTIMERS!

10610[/snapback]

You absolutely do NOT have to root for Siena Ever. Given the lack of class by a large part of the Siena fan base in the last 5 -to 10 years I see no reason to ever root for them.

If you root for Siena, you are actually doing any supposedly rivalry a disservice. Do Duke fans root for the Tar Heels? No, they do not. Do Xavier fans root for Cincinnati? Only if the competition is racking up DUI's by a coaching staff ... I think you get my drift.

That is like saying you can root for the Mets and the Yankees ... they're not in the same league, but you can't do that. It's just not right.

If you root for Siena, you're making UAlbany look soft and basically admitting that Siena has been the big dog in town for X number of years. Whether true or not, the attitude now has to be, 'I don't care about your past' (which, let's get real here, isn't that great anyhow, it's just been the only alternative in this area. They are and have been a good low-major team. It's just that UAlbany has been a good DIII or DII team for most of that time period.)

Especially in a city like Albany, there is only so much disposable income to go around - you should want all of that money going to the Great Danes. Otherwise, they will never reach their full potential.

Edited by DaneFan2k3

I'm a little torn by this too.

When I was in school Albany was DIII and Siena was in the NCAA and NIT, winning the MAAC etc. I attended every Albany home game that I did not have a conflict with, but as a basketball fan I attended a handful of the bigger Siena games each year. And, I have to admit, cheered loudly for Siena.

At this point however, I think I have overcome my "problem", and can root against Siena on most occassions. In a couple of years, after Albany has established its dominance, I will most likely hope they do well to make the rivalry a rivalry.

I'm also torn.

My stance toward Siena has gone through a kind of evolution. It may change again.

At first, I was very dead set against Siena. Not only did we have to battle the strong Siena basketball tradition that began in the 50's and was still going strong in the 60's and 70's when I attended "Albany State." Almost every Capital District fan would throw Siena's past success in your face, even when we were both Division III It made no difference that Doc Sauers's teams won a few more from them than they from us. Siena was always superior, but we Albany fans had a tough going sometimes in the eyes of the community.

I was not from the Albany area, but I ended up marrying a girl from the area - actually from Loudonville. (We are still very much married, by the way.) But I remember on one occasion talking about the Albany-Siena series with my in-laws when one of them stated that they preferred Siena because Albany Staters were "always dirty." I also did not like the image I saw of many Siena rooters at our common games where men were dressed in fancy suits and women in furs.

Needless to say, I was not very happy indeed. So for a few years after we got married, my wife was never allowed to mention even the word "Siena" in our household. (I'm usually not that controlling.) We had to refer to Siena as "that Loudonville school" or something worse. When we drove past the campus, I would even close my eyes - rather dangerous when you're at the wheel.

My wife and I moved out of the area, and it has been somewhat difficult to get to UAlbany games, but we have continued our tradition of supporting the team every year for the last 35 years or so from a distance. Perhaps the longer distance from the scene of hostility has made me less antagonistic.

Then Siena went D I, and I was mad that Siena was getting even more press, when they naturally deserved more press. Then I began to have a lot more sympathy for them when they had their successes in the 80's and 90's thinking that at least I am supporting Capital District basketball. I have never spent the time or money to attend one of their games, unless we were their opponent, but at least I dropped the hatred thing.

When we began D I, the antipathy against them rose again. We were - and probably still are - not receiving enough respect. Last year's victory, however, was a real revelation: both teams had claim to respect in this area.

When Siena lost its game last year to us, there were many posters on the Siena site - who after recovering from the initial shock - were actually really gracious to us. They appreciated the achievements of the team and all the work that Will Brown and others have brought to the program. That means, at least from the knowledgeable few of them, that UAlbany has achieved what I want from them: respect.

I understand the bad, bad feelings that many Albany fans have toward Siena, but I just cannot hate them any more. I will root for them, especially if they make it past the MAAC tournament. They still represent the Capital District and may make a link for us to the world outside Eastern New York.

My changed feelings toward Siena have not affected my intensity of feelings for the Danes when we go at each other. I really "get into" the games and will probably need medical assistance after I leave the game Saturday.

I guess I also want to see the day come when there is enough respect from Siena for us that many Siena fans will also support us in their thoughts and attendance at UAlbany games. I don't expect them to switch allegiances, but greater appreciation of the "other" Capital District program would go a long way.

I'm also torn.

My stance toward Siena has gone through a kind of evolution. It may change again.

At first, I was very dead set against Siena. Not only did we have to battle the strong Siena basketball tradition that began in the 50's and was still going strong in the 60's and 70's when I attended "Albany State." Almost every Capital District fan would throw Siena's past success in your face, even when we were both Division III It made no difference that Doc Sauers's teams won a few more from them than they from us. Siena was always superior, but we Albany fans had a tough going sometimes in the eyes of the community.

I was not from the Albany area, but I ended up marrying a girl from the area - actually from Loudonville. (We are still very much married, by the way.) But I remember on one occasion talking about the Albany-Siena series with my in-laws when one of them stated that they preferred Siena because Albany Staters were "always dirty." I also did not like the image I saw of many Siena rooters at our common games where men were dressed in fancy suits and women in furs.

Needless to say, I was not very happy indeed. So for a few years after we got married, my wife was never allowed to mention even the word "Siena" in our household.  (I'm usually not that controlling.) We had to refer to Siena as "that Loudonville school" or something worse. When we drove past the campus, I would even close my eyes - rather dangerous when you're at the wheel.

My wife and I moved out of the area, and it has been somewhat difficult to get to UAlbany games, but we have continued our tradition of supporting the team every year for the last 35 years or so from a distance. Perhaps the longer distance from the scene of hostility has made me less antagonistic.

Then Siena went D I, and I was mad that Siena was getting even more press, when they naturally deserved more press. Then I began to have a lot more sympathy for them when they had their successes in the 80's and 90's thinking that at least I am supporting Capital District basketball. I have never spent the time or money to attend one of their games, unless we were their opponent, but at least I dropped the hatred thing.

When we began D I, the antipathy against them rose again. We were - and probably still are - not receiving enough respect. Last year's victory, however, was a real revelation:  both teams had claim to respect in this area.

When Siena lost its game last year to us, there were many posters on the Siena site - who after recovering from the initial shock - were actually really gracious to us. They appreciated the achievements of the team and all the work that Will Brown and others have brought to the program. That means, at least from the knowledgeable few of them, that UAlbany has achieved what I want from them: respect.

I understand the bad, bad feelings that many Albany fans have toward Siena, but I just cannot hate them any more. I will root for them, especially if they make it past the MAAC tournament. They still represent the Capital District and may make a link for us to the world  outside Eastern New York.

My changed feelings toward Siena have not affected my intensity of feelings for the Danes when we go at each other. I really "get into" the games and will probably need medical assistance after I leave the game Saturday.

I guess I also want to see the day come when there is enough respect from Siena for us that many Siena fans will also support us in their thoughts and attendance at UAlbany games. I don't expect them to switch allegiances, but greater appreciation of the "other" Capital District program would go a long way.

10621[/snapback]

I hear you loud and clear, however I think D2k is actually on point with this. Duke-MD, UNC-Duke, Xavier-Cincinatti, sure, they all respect the other team because a foe who is strong make a victory over them sweeter. However, you will never see those fans openly rooting for the other team...ever. It is not plausible to want to see your rival succeed other than that they be a strong team when you play them (in both statistical records and competitive prowess.)

A strong foe is healthy for any rivalry.

However, a strong rival is not necessary for the rivalry to be great. A team can be down and the rivalry game will still be a tough game because of the emotion.

BOTTOM LINE: Every cheer, newspaper article, cent, and fan that Siena has is one less for us. You should all be rooting for one thing: THE CAPITAL DISTRICT TO REALIZE THEY HAVE MORE IN COMMON WITH ALBANY THAN SIENA.

You guys are funny. I respect UAlbany a lot and really respect Will Brown and what he's done with your program. Siena was down last year but we are quickly heading back to the top of the mountain.

Saturday should be a very good game. Albany has all of the pressure on them, as very few expect Siena to win.

I'll say this if Albany thinks this is an easy win then they're in for a rude awakening. I don't think Will Brown will allow that though.

Good luck this season except for Saturday of course!