UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

07/08 Men's Hoop Schedulw

I know I shouldn't complain about the schedule, but my only gripe is that we don't have a great opener like Bucknell last year. I thought last years game and the sellout was a good springboard for the season. Any thoughts?

I would hope that we would have a great home opener at least every other year. Hopefully we reached the point where we are an attractive opener for another team. Therefore you can make another deal with a team like the one that we are now on year 2 of with Bucknell. One year UA gets a great home opener and the next year UA is on the road in a great college basketball environment.

Good point.

I know I shouldn't complain about the schedule, but my only gripe is that we don't have a great opener like Bucknell last year. I thought last years game and the sellout was a good springboard for the season. Any thoughts?

I would hope that we would have a great home opener at least every other year. Hopefully we reached the point where we are an attractive opener for another team. Therefore you can make another deal with a team like the one that we are now on year 2 of with Bucknell. One year UA gets a great home opener and the next year UA is on the road in a great college basketball environment.

I think we are attractive enough at this point to have this, and I think we should expect it from Coach and Dr. McElroy.

I think Bucknell, Central Conn., etc. Maybe Central Conn. for the '08-09 opener? Howie has built a solid program there.

I know that RPI isn't always an accurate measure for how good a team really is. After all, just look at UConn, who beat us by 30+ points last year, which finished the season with an RPI of 111. UA finished at 78.

Nevertheless, I can't think of any other decent measurement to guage how well our opponents rank from season to season. When I look at the out-of-conference opponents on last year's schedule (2007-08), I come up with an average RPI of 158. The RPI values in both comparisons come from the end of the 2006-07 season. For the coming season, the 12 opponents listed so far have an average RPI of 149.25. That's almost 9 points lower (better) than last year.

Yes, at first glance, playing against UConn and VCU and more exotic Utah and Utah Valley State looks more glamorous than this next season's opponents, but some of the new opponents provide more competition than Harvard, Brown, and Cornell.

I think the upcoming schedule shows the consistent upgrade to our schedule, and it certainly shows drastic improvement over the many teams that had RPI's of 320 and 330 that were on our first Division I schedules. We will have a great challenge on our hands at the beginning of the new season, as we learn to play without Jamar and Jason, but I have confidence that we will be ready to undertake the conference schedule of January and February.

I know that RPI isn't always an accurate measure for how good a team really is. After all, just look at UConn, who beat us by 30+ points last year, which finished the season with an RPI of 111. UA finished at 78.

Nevertheless, I can't think of any other decent measurement to guage how well our opponents rank from season to season. When I look at the out-of-conference opponents on last year's schedule (2007-08), I come up with an average RPI of 158. The RPI values in both comparisons come from the end of the 2006-07 season. For the coming season, the 12 opponents listed so far have an average RPI of 149.25. That's almost 9 points lower (better) than last year.

Yes, at first glance, playing against UConn and VCU and more exotic Utah and Utah Valley State looks more glamorous than this next season's opponents, but some of the new opponents provide more competition than Harvard, Brown, and Cornell.

I think the upcoming schedule shows the consistent upgrade to our schedule, and it certainly shows drastic improvement over the many teams that had RPI's of 320 and 330 that were on our first Division I schedules. We will have a great challenge on our hands at the beginning of the new season, as we learn to play without Jamar and Jason, but I have confidence that we will be ready to undertake the conference schedule of January and February.

Couldn't agree more!

As far as our home opener goes, Columbia intrigues me; we so rarely hear about their athletics as compared to the other IVY League schools. I would expect there to be at least some Columbia fans in attendance. I imagine that we will be playing them in Manhattan (Harlem) next season.

Couldn't agree more!

As far as our home opener goes, Columbia intrigues me; we so rarely hear about their athletics as compared to the other IVY League schools. I would expect there to be at least some Columbia fans in attendance. I imagine that we will be playing them in Manhattan (Harlem) next season.

I think there will be some Columbia fans there to support CBA grad Joe Bova. I hope the community and the students make this home opener as special as last years.

Its a great OOC schedule. I'm looking forward to it.

This may be a dumb question, but its not from the brightest guy. - will the announcement of a bracket buster game, if there is to be one, come at a later date, or does this announced schedule mean that there will be no bracket buster game in 07-8?

I think its a challenging OOC schedule that the team can do ok with...I agree with folks who think it prepares well for AE play....long summer ahead but ..we are looking forward to upcomin winter evenings at SEFCU...already re-upped my seasons!!!

PS...there was a comment somewhere about the possiblity of one additional game...so...it may get even better...does anyone have additional info on that???

Its a great OOC schedule. I'm looking forward to it.

This may be a dumb question, but its not from the brightest guy. - will the announcement of a bracket buster game, if there is to be one, come at a later date, or does this announced schedule mean that there will be no bracket buster game in 07-8?

I was pretty sure they picked the bracket buster teams much later on when they do the conference schedule. It'll be interesting to see who they pick this year. I thought someone said Lonergan turned down BB last year and I would think they would be first choice this year.

Here is the information that I found on Duke tickets:

"Individual Game Tickets:

... .

Single game ticket availability - to inquire about single game tickets for the 2007-08 season, please contact the ticket office the last week of September '07, to see if and when any single games will be going on sale. (919) 681-BLUE(2583) or Toll Free 1-877-375-DUKE(3853)."

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_...p;ATCLID=285379 (emphasis supplied).

Archived