UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Times Union story:

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=10/7/2007

a couple of key quotes that I found interesting:

Asked if he wants the rivalry to continue, Ford responded, "Only if I get 44 full scholarships," or Stony Brook's current funding.

Interesting. Albany fights SBU every year for recruits. The way its going right now, there will be a lag for UA in the next few years, as SBU will begin its ascent up the FCS ladder. We are stalled out right now and I don't see that changing much within 2 years.

I guess Fordie doesn't want to consider having to schedule SBU as a "play up" game, which I agree with. Its a tough sell to a recruit when you direct recruiting competition is a play-up game on your schedule.

I wasn't at the game, but I'd be interested to here what everyone thought? How was the crowd? Attendance reported was low, but was it accurate?

The count was accurate. Only about 200 from SBU, I don't know where everybody was for Albany. Weather too nice? Cleared out for the Columbus Day weekend?

I didn't stick around for the second half. The final drive must have been wild. Radio said Diaraujo got a 'very good spot' for 1st down at midfield.

Times Union story:<a href="http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=628049&category=SPORTS&newsdate=10/7/2007" target="_blank">

</a>http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=10/7/2007

Asked if he wants the rivalry to continue, Ford responded, "Only if I get 44 full scholarships," or Stony Brook's current funding.

Interesting. Albany fights SBU every year for recruits. The way its going right now, there will be a lag for UA in the next few years, as SBU will begin its ascent up the FCS ladder. We are stalled out right now and I don't see that changing much within 2 years.

This reminds me of two things:

1: $iena circa 1977 in basketball.

2: As much as Stony Brook is stupid for going to the Big South, I think that staying in the NEC is the worst for our growth in the long run and we should have gotten out while the getting's good. Why stick around a conference that holds us bad and stagnates our growth? Maybe going with would have been in our best interest...

Times Union story:<a href="http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=628049&category=SPORTS&newsdate=10/7/2007" target="_blank">

</a>http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp...sdate=10/7/2007

2: As much as Stony Brook is stupid for going to the Big South, I think that staying in the NEC is the worst for our growth in the long run and we should have gotten out while the getting's good. Why stick around a conference that holds us bad and stagnates our growth? Maybe going with would have been in our best interest...

holding out for the CAA maybe? if the stadium gets built we'll probably have more options

I don't mind being in the NEC so long as the NEC continues to expand its scholarship limit. If the playoff expansion happens and brings along a 50 scholarship minimum for playoff inclusion, the NEC has to allow 50 rides. If it doesn't then we need to leave as soon as we can find some place else to play.

I think we are moving forward, but without the stadium or major overhaul of University Field, we will not go anywhere.

We will be a better football team with 30 rides and a new facility then we would with 45 rides and playing in the current location. Those 30 scholarships will get better atheletes if we have better facilities.

It is not the NEC that is holding us back. We are not even offering the max scholarship $ that the league allows yet. The NEC has given us the ability to put together some kind of schedule. If not for the league - how many home games would we have now? What is holding UAlbany football back is the lack of any type of decent football facility. I do not believe that the long term plan is to stay in the NEC, but for now it is a good league for us and it appears that we will have a shot a the playoffs before the Brook does. Many of us have seen this program develop since Coach Ford came here in the early 70's. If you had told me 30/20/even 10 years ago that the type of stadium being discussed would even have come to the point of planning - I would have feared for your sanity. Patience - there are many things happening here/in sate govt/in the NCAA football/basketball landscape that will shape where the UA football program ends up. Even without a president - I am glad that the future of the football program is being guided by Dr McElroy and Coach Ford

Anybody know the attendance #'s for SBU game

Box score said 1,700+

The NEC is still OK for now, but even if they raise the scholarship limit, they aren't (except for maybe CCSU) our peer schools. For public perception's sake we still need to be aiming for New England flagship/ mid-Atlantic public universities.

Box score said 1,700+

The NEC is still OK for now, but even if they raise the scholarship limit, they aren't (except for maybe CCSU) our peer schools. For public perception's sake we still need to be aiming for New England flagship/ mid-Atlantic public universities.

UAalum72: Couldn't agree more!

Box score said 1,700+

UAalum72: Couldn't agree more!

Why then does it seem we rarely play our public peers, at least the ones in FCS? Are CAA-level schools too good for us at this point?

I know we've played Stony Brook, Maine, and UMass all in the past 2 or 3 years. I think UNH is the only FCS public New England/northern atlantic school we haven't played recently.

UNH is on the schedule, from what I hear from multiple sources, next season in Durham!!! URI would complete the deal, considering we also should consider New England and Mid-Atlantic as our peers; We have already played Delaware.

After that, I can't think of a local public we HAVEN'T played!

I believe the 2008 OOC schedule includes UNH, UMass and Delaware.... with Duquesne joining the NEC next year, that leaves one open date. URI or Fordham at Albany, would make sense and give us at least one home OOC game and one OOC game that we would have at least a 50/50 chance of winning.

Archived