UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Hosting the AE Basketball Championships in 2009!!!

This is terrific news...let's pack SEFCU and show that we are the best fans in A-E!!!

Also...I gotta believe an event like this needs alot of support and people to make it a succesful weekend...so if you can I suggest you offer to volunteer to help the Athletic Department in some fashion...this a great way to put a "smiley face" on U-A, SEFCU and the entire Capital District! Lets show our support!!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is phenomenal news...I think we all are relived we wont have to deal with the burden of a multiple hour car ride, along with gas, hotel expenses etc. This is great for the school and the program, not to mention the potential impact it could have on recruiting (You reading this Justin?) I am pumped...When can I buy my pass? lol

This is terrific news...let's pack SEFCU and show that we are the best fans in A-E!!!

Also...I gotta believe an event like this needs alot of support and people to make it a succesful weekend...so if you can I suggest you offer to volunteer to help the Athletic Department in some fashion...this a great way to put a "smiley face" on U-A, SEFCU and the entire Capital District! Lets show our support!!!

That's a great idea.

My original plan was to volunteer to empty beer mugs at the Across the Street Pub. Your suggestions sounds more productive and I'd be willing.

Looking forward to the "Destination Albany" shirts to be printed for next year's tourney. Like the "Cape" I want my all session pass already.

...When can I buy my pass?

I would hope with the season ticket renewal.

That actually leads me to a question...This is off topic from the discussion, but I don't know where else I would ask such a question lol. I'm still a student, and I go to every game, but it's a pain to have to wait in line for things like Opening night/BPG/Post Season Tickets with the fans who only go to 1 or 2 games a year...is there anyway for me to get priority on those tickets besides season tickets? I might end up getting season tickets if thats the only way, because a 4 hour wait in 20 degree weather for BPG isn't happening again this year lol. What about varsity club? Can i join that as a student? What are the benefits of joining? Answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

This is a whole different ball of wax. I would think season tix holders would get first priority...but not a guarantee of THEIR SEAT. Remember....this is an AE EVENT...not an Albany event. And tix must be bought by students...no freebies. Someone (my guess...SEFCU) will buy them and disperse.

I would call season tix people.

This is a whole different ball of wax. I would think season tix holders would get first priority...but not a guarantee of THEIR SEAT. Remember....this is an AE EVENT...not an Albany event. And tix must be bought by students...no freebies. Someone (my guess...SEFCU) will buy them and disperse.

I would call season tix people.

I think you're absolutely right, and my guess is that although our Box Office will be capable of selling the tickets and issuing them, UAlbany's season ticket holders won't gain any sort of advantage in buying AE Tourney tickets.

As far as I Rock the Cape's question, I think the best thing for you to do would be to not purchase season tickets (although one always should if they are so inclined!) but to buy individual game tickets for the games that you are interested in. I think with a Price Chopper Advantage Card (and/or your student ID), you might earn a discount on those individual tickets as well. So, if it were me, I'd purchase the individual tickets for the games you suggested -- i.e., opening night, BGP, etc. -- and get student tickets for the rest of the games.

Of course, when you buy individual game tickets, the tickets will be in sections other than the two student sections, but as long as that is okay, you should be fine. Moreover, if you approached the Box Office and inquired as to whether you could purchase student-section tickets for a couple games in question, I can't imagine them having too much of a problem with it since that would earn them revenue that they might not otherwise pull in beacuse of the fact that student tickets are free.

BTW, as a passing thought, I think it's great that students can go to the hoop's games for free. That's great of the Athletic Dep't, and I hope the tradition continues. I would love someday for some donors and/or sponsors (even if it's just a Varsity Club Fund, etc.) to provide funds for students to go to the Siena vs. Albany game for free. Even better would be an endowed fund for that purpose ... hehe.

Cape..

Up until this coming season, I was in the same situation as you. After the growth in student popularity of the games in the 2006 season, I didn't feel like waiting in line for student tix when I knew I was gonna be at every game, so I just decided to go ahead and buy the basic 'Reserved' seating season tickets. Usually it doesn't make too much of a difference (like for a lot of the games over winter break that you and I were at), but never waiting in line is nice (especially for the big games like you mentioned), and I'd just sit in the student section anyways. Plus, if you have a friend who's not from UAlbany come to visit, you can always get your free student ticket and get your friend in for free with your season ticket. This was the second season in a row that I did it.

And I'd definitely recommend the Varsity Club, as I'm sure most on this board would as well. It's nice to grab a bite to eat before every football and basketball game..would at least save you a meal swipe before each game. Plus, if facebook is correct (haha), you'll be able to enjoy the finer beverages at Varsity Club at some point next season, lol. You also sometimes get priority with post-season games and other 'big game' road trips. And lastly, you're donating to athletics, so it's a positive all around.

BTW, as a passing thought, I think it's great that students can go to the hoop's games for free. That's great of the Athletic Dep't, and I hope the tradition continues. I would love someday for some donors and/or sponsors (even if it's just a Varsity Club Fund, etc.) to provide funds for students to go to the Siena vs. Albany game for free. Even better would be an endowed fund for that purpose ... hehe.

The University has done this before. Residential Life and/or Student Success buys a huge block of them for students. The past couple years, they've sold the tickets to students at a subsidized price of $5 or $10 and then use that money as a donation to X charity cause.

Does anyone think that we can expect some improvements or modifications to SEFCU Arena for this coming season given that the America East Tournament will be held here? I'm not aware of anything planned, but maybe some small stuff will be done, whatever it may be ... .

Did anyone else see America Least's comment about Albany getting the Tournament next year?

While I agree with that blogger about the concessions (though I expect a lot of improvements in that category by the time the Tournament rolls around), I took issue with this statement:

"Albany is a upgrade over Binghamton, NY...but not by that much. That would be like asking me to decide between boning Betty White or Estelle Getty."

Is he serious? What criteria is he using to form that conclusion? Isn't that blogger also from Albany?

UA_MA_2000 - Take the "Leaster" with a grain of salt!!!

She/he likes to bust chops, especially when it comes to UA. Take his/her opinion as just that the opinion of one individual.

Bing and the real BU had much better facilities to host the tourney then UA.

It's Dr. Mc's job to make the tourney fan and family friendly.

Lets face the truth our bathroom facilities are minimal and of poor quality, our concessions are nearly non existent.

We have minimal chairbacks which make it tough on those who want to see all/most of the games.

What we should have is a deisre to host a fun event.

Archived