UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Time to Prep for Next Year

I would agree with what you all are saying about the dissapointment of this season and the fact that had we beat RMU, we would have been looking at a co-championship and a very realistic chance at an outright title. However, that is not the case. That being said, had coach FOrd and Coach Macarthy felt that Dillella or Drew gave the team a better chance to win, those guys would have played. As much as danefan and everyone else feels they are experts, these coaches work with the players day in and day out for hours at a time. Blasinsky was named the starter a few years ago, played as a freshman and then Esposito worked his a$$ off and earned the starting job. At that point ESpo was given little money and Blasinsky was on close to a full ride. So, if there was any loyalty to one player one would think it may happen there. But it didnt, they started Espo bc they felt he was the best for the team. So, now, I am sure that if the coaches felt he was not doing the right things, he would be out of the game. From the stands it all looks like one guy, but the running game was non-existant, protection was awful and there was not enough time to go through a proper read progression. Again, danefan seems to be the expert, and if he says he played quarterback he would understand there is a progression and there is not much opportunity, esspecially in a Ford coached team for improvisation. So guys may be open, but that doesnt mean the QB is even looking at him.

Again, that all being said it is horrible the way the offense played at times. The running game has not been nearly what it has in the past and after Tim Bush, there is not much at WR. Drew Smith should have played more snaps, maybe not at QB bc he seems to be limited throwing the ball, but maybe WR as well. He could have had 5-10 at QB, 5-10 at RB, and 15-20 at WR. You could throw him screens and reverses. Mcarty was half the running back he was last year bc of the injuries and it esposed the weaknesses we had on the offensive line and our play calling suffered as well. Obviously reliance on the run made us predictable and once the run was not scaring teams, our limited passing game struggled. And 13 int is not the season I expected from the Esposito either. I think a combination of things contributed to his interceptions, but ultimately it falls on him to not turn the ball over. From speaking with coaches, I know his will to win and leadership ability which is why the team followed him to 2 straight titles. So, I think if Dillela could have given them a better shot, he would have played. I think the coaches know better then us.

Also, Danefan i heard you played QB here? What were your career stats?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like somehow I became the target of this entire thread, despite the fact that (1) I didn't even start the thread; (2) I've never professed to be an exert of any kind; and (3) I've never once called out Espo out with anything but my observations and the stats to back them up, which I though is what a message board discussion was about?

Hmm......

I'm not going to get in a personal internet argument with someone, but I will say this for myself:

I did in fact play QB at Albany.

My stats are not relevant to the conversation and if you actually knew me or read anything I've written over the past 3 or 4 years that I have been on here, you would know that I have never touted my stats as anything of an accomplishment. I played in a different offense, with a terrific RB and offensive line against teams that that were not good enough on defense to require us to pass. The running joke I have with the many folks I played with is that if there were a stat for handoffs, I would be the school record holder.

Once again, I'm not exactly sure how my personal stats or expertise became the target of this.

I'd like to take this opportunity to point out the purpose of a messsage board.....discussion. No one here claims to be an expert. We have our observations and this is a forum to express our opinions.

My observation is that one of the young QB's should get significant time at QB against Wagner. Sorry if that rubs some of you guys the wrong way.

Oh and BTW, I searched the old board when I joined to see what the discussion was about me when I played. Guess what, it was very similar to this and it was by a few of the same people on here now. I never saw anything wrong with that.

Let me be very clear on this for all to hear. I don't really care if anyone's feathers are ruffled over some of the comments made on this board in reference to #7. Frankley, I wish he were playing well. I wish the offensive line was better (as Dane 96 & myself have been pointing out since pre season & are also responsible for the loss agaiunst Robert Morris) I wish we had not lost the last two games we played as we were superior to both of these teams. I also wish we had a beautiful facility for these 17 Seniors to play in, but I deal in reality! The offense and the defense stunk the place out on Sat.

#7 is a winner I am sure. He is a good QB and he probably feels terrible about the season as much as anyone. He will be a fine young man when he enters the "real world" I have said in another post he is not the only culprit in this 2 game slide. If you are gonna play in a winning program as many of us have, then you gotta withstand the criticism.

I am confident he will play very well against Wagner and I fully well expect us to win going away. This is basically the same team that won last year with the exception of a linemanm or two missing. UA will be formidable for years to come. With that comes quality backups that will be able to step in for a struggling player.

I have never said to bench him. We only said that another up and comer gets a chance in a real game. I don't give a $iena who plays next year as long as we continue to get better as a program. For the record I think Smith will be the starter next year. BTW if I were related to DiLella or Smith or any of them I would be far tougher then most. Get over it. These current players arent the only ones to win a championship here, we have given as much with blood sweat and tears as they have so I am entitled to say whatever the hell I want. Oh yeah, one other thing, when you donate as much money as we all do then you have the right to bitch! Yes they are the best players the school has ever had and some are on scholarship so they are bringing the program to the next level and I love seeing it happen. IT IS NOT OK TO LOSE WHEN YOU ARE SUPERIOR TO YOUR COMPETITION, ESPECIALLY HERE @ UA!!!

You know how I know we are still small time? Because there are to many people get's their panties in a bunch over "feelings"....god forbid we say 11TD and 13interceptions IS UNACCEPTABLE from a senior QB.

Morality/politeness police out in force!

All of these kids know what the jig is.....this isn't Pop Warner football.

I want to step in and concur with both Danefan and Ruler (and bosydid...but you are not the target of the ire here).

What everyone is missing is the following facts:

1. Most of us thought the line would be an issue-- look at my AGS and BPF threads on the subject in pre-season and through the year. this has come to fruition and NO DOUBT has hurt the QB play. Teams have stacked the box and basically rushed the $iena out of our QB daring him to make throws...some that would be very difficult.

2. Some of the issues have nothing to do with limitations of Fordie's system (if you think it is tight now...I can only begin to tell you what it was like in the early 90's...and I am sure it was even tighter when Ruler was playing).

3. No one advocated a complete benching of anyone; we simply feel that at some pt at Wagner...the youngins need to get tested. A ton is riding on next year...and even moreso if we dont get our stadium. The only reason we have GREAT GREAT KIDS LIKE VINNY ESPOSITO IS BECAUSE OF BOB FORD. Without Coach...and with no stadium...we likely will be a tought place to recruit to next to our peers. So...a playoff spot next year is paramount...and that starts with closing out Wagner and getting some kids game time.

People need to take a breath and see the big picture.

Ford only recruits great kids (its the one thing I truly love about our school's athletics program as this seemingly goes across the board) and I am sure the 17 Seniors are great people and will be HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

I've been kinda sitting back reading this thread since it started..and as an alum just like everyone I'm pretty disappointed as how this season turned out. One of the things that has plagued us since the start of the season is simply turnovers. I'm not sure what our turnover ratio is, but i bet its pretty darn high, and as everyone knows "gang, you cant win games if your turning the ball over"..."You get 1 more turn over than your opponent, your destined to win 80 something % the time". The last two years we dominated the turnover statistic. I wasn't able to attend the last two games due to having to work on the weekends, but from just reading the box score of RMU, we rushed the ball for 76 yards on 34 attempts which is straight terrible....also RMU sacked Vinny 5 times. I've defended the OL all season, and I thought that they have done a decent job most of the season considering that most of these guys are young. But as the season goes on, I feel that they have digressed rather than improved as they gained experience. We're still not a 5 wide, drop back passing team..if you look at last year, most of our passing yards came off of play action passes..because we had the running game going..and with no running game, defenses aren't going to get sucked into the play action which puts huge pressure on that QB to drop back and make a play.

Some of you are for wanting to play another QB right now..I feel that if another QB is deserving play, then the coaching staff would definitely have came to that option already. They are going to with the player that can get the W..if someone fits that bill, I'm pretty sure they would of done it by now. I personally think Drew Smith is going to end up as a RB, and im not trying to hate on him, but my only viewing of Dilella was I believe the homecoming game when he threw an INT?

While I don't agree with the personal attack by Bigdane14...a lot of what he said is true. When it comes down to it..You can't just blame Vinny on this..it was a total offensive failure.

I've been kinda sitting back reading this thread since it started..and as an alum just like everyone I'm pretty disappointed as how this season turned out. One of the things that has plagued us since the start of the season is simply turnovers. I'm not sure what our turnover ratio is, but i bet its pretty darn high, and as everyone knows "gang, you cant win games if your turning the ball over"..."You get 1 more turn over than your opponent, your destined to win 80 something % the time". The last two years we dominated the turnover statistic. I wasn't able to attend the last two games due to having to work on the weekends, but from just reading the box score of RMU, we rushed the ball for 76 yards on 34 attempts which is straight terrible....also RMU sacked Vinny 5 times. I've defended the OL all season, and I thought that they have done a decent job most of the season considering that most of these guys are young. But as the season goes on, I feel that they have digressed rather than improved as they gained experience. We're still not a 5 wide, drop back passing team..if you look at last year, most of our passing yards came off of play action passes..because we had the running game going..and with no running game, defenses aren't going to get sucked into the play action which puts huge pressure on that QB to drop back and make a play.

Some of you are for wanting to play another QB right now..I feel that if another QB is deserving play, then the coaching staff would definitely have came to that option already. They are going to with the player that can get the W..if someone fits that bill, I'm pretty sure they would of done it by now. I personally think Drew Smith is going to end up as a RB, and im not trying to hate on him, but my only viewing of Dilella was I believe the homecoming game when he threw an INT?

While I don't agree with the personal attack by Bigdane14...a lot of what he said is true. When it comes down to it..You can't just blame Vinny on this..it was a total offensive failure.

Thank you. Finally a discussion without the personal attachment.

While I do agree that the OL has digressed, there were certain OLine breakdowns during the season that I expected a 3-year starting QB to handle better. The last drive of the CCSU game is one of those moments to point to.

But you are right. You cannot blame the offensive collapse in the RMU game on Espo alone. 2.2 yards per carry is pitiful.

But your point about turnover margin is an interesting one and one that also points to QB play. We are -2 in turnovers (20 giveaways and 18 takeaways). The breakdown is a pointed fact:

Giveaways:

14 INTs (13 chargeable to Espo)

6 fumbles

Takeaways are 9 and 9.

How many of those 13 INTs can you attribute to the OLine play? I really cannot think of any of the top of my head. Some of the fumbles for sure (I can think of one of Espo against UMass where he didn't have a chance).

Thank you. Finally a discussion without the personal attachment.

While I do agree that the OL has digressed, there were certain OLine breakdowns during the season that I expected a 3-year starting QB to handle better. The last drive of the CCSU game is one of those moments to point to.

But you are right. You cannot blame the offensive collapse in the RMU game on Espo alone. 2.2 yards per carry is pitiful.

But your point about turnover margin is an interesting one and one that also points to QB play. We are -2 in turnovers (20 giveaways and 18 takeaways). The breakdown is a pointed fact:

Giveaways:

14 INTs (13 chargeable to Espo)

6 fumbles

Takeaways are 9 and 9.

How many of those 13 INTs can you attribute to the OLine play? I really cannot think of any of the top of my head. Some of the fumbles for sure (I can think of one of Espo against UMass where he didn't have a chance).

I checked out the turnover ratio, and in 2008 we were +10 (We had 27 take aways to giving up 17). In 2007 we were +14 (24 take aways and giving up 10).

I think another thing is to look at the rushing..here's the Total rushing from the respective years..also you have to take in consider both 2007+2008 have extra game due to Gridiron Classic, but still, there's still a huge difference.

2007 Yards gained rushing 2898

2008 Yards gained rushing 2688

2009 with one game to go: 1779

2007 Sackes Allowed: 34

2008 Sacks ALlowed: 19

2009 Sacks Allowed: 24 (with 1 game to go..also have to factor in that in 2007+2008 they played the GIC game so an extra game both those years)

So based on statistics, the O line hasn't pass protected too bad. I am surprised that in 2007 we gave up that many. Kroy Biermann was a beast for Montana though!

Back to discussion..To blame the o line on certain turnovers, I'm not sure about since honestly, I haven't seen that many games in person this year due to work (I was @ Umass, UMaine, and Duquense, and did 2nd half of Monmouth game online). The thing is though, without a running game, its putting the pressure on the QB and WR's to come up big, so at the same time, you can point a finger @ Vinny, but not without pointing one at the guys upfront and everyone else on the offense for not taking some of the pressure off his shoulders.

I want to step in and concur with both Danefan and Ruler (and bosydid...but you are not the target of the ire here).

1. Most of us thought the line would be an issue-- look at my AGS and BPF threads on the subject in pre-season and through the year. this has come to fruition and NO DOUBT has hurt the QB play. Teams have stacked the box and basically rushed the $iena out of our QB daring him to make throws...some that would be very difficult.

2. Some of the issues have nothing to do with limitations of Fordie's system (if you think it is tight now...I can only begin to tell you what it was like in the early 90's...and I am sure it was even tighter when Ruler was playing).

3. No one advocated a complete benching of anyone; We simply feel that at some pt at Wagner...the youngins need to get tested. A ton is riding on next year...and even moreso if we dont get our stadium. The only reason we have GREAT GREAT KIDS LIKE VINNY ESPOSITO IS BECAUSE OF BOB FORD. Without Coach...and with no stadium...we likely will be a tought place to recruit to next to our peers. So...a playoff spot next year is paramount...and that starts with closing out Wagner and getting some kids game time.

Ford only recruits great kids (its the one thing I truly love about our school's athletics program as this seemingly goes across the board) and I am sure the 17 Seniors are great people and will be HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL IN LIFE.

This sure doesn't sound like the same Dane96 that started this thread.... here are quotes from your earlier posts:

**** I respect what the seniors have done, but it is time to move forward with the program and play our future in the final game. They need the experience NOW!

**** They need to play whomever isn't red-shirting and give them minutes. It is time.... and that's that.

**** It is time for the younger kids to get their PT and set a tone for Spring practice

**** A. Smith or D. DiLella should be getting a half

**** Next year is so important to the program. All the focus should be on that from now on.

So, tell me. What is paramount? Closing out Wagner or getting some kids game time, to better prepare them for next year, the first autobid year into the playoffs? And for the sake of argument, you can't have both, i.e. the outcome of the Wagner game remains in question from beginning to end. I really am curious as to your answer.

Lets be realistic here, it makes no difference if we win or lose against Wagner(obviously I want to win for pride) as far as the the NEC title goes. 7-4 or 6-5 is the same. Should lightening strike and we manage to get a piece of the NEC, what is it worth that we backed into it? So, basically the season is over. We are saying that up and coming players need experience for a new age in UA football. A new age that will put us potentially in the FCS playoffs.

These players should not be in this position at the end of a 21 game NEC run. Do you have any idea how awful a team Robert Morris is? They are playing overall like it is the beginning of a 21 game run. Maybe they are burnt out I am not certain. They have done a great job and brought the program to new heights. No one is taking that away from them. Realize most of the players coming up behind them are on scholarship and overall probably better athletes. They need playing time for what is a huge season next year. There are some Sr's who won't play at all as a result of this.

3. No one advocated a complete benching of anyone; We simply feel that at some pt at Wagner...the youngins need to get tested. A ton is riding on next year...and even moreso if we dont get our stadium. The only reason we have GREAT GREAT KIDS LIKE VINNY ESPOSITO IS BECAUSE OF BOB FORD. Without Coach...and with no stadium...we likely will be a tought place to recruit to next to our peers. So...a playoff spot next year is paramount...and that starts with closing out Wagner and getting some kids game time.

This sure doesn't sound like the same Dane96 that started this thread.... here are quotes from your earlier posts:

**** I respect what the seniors have done, but it is time to move forward with the program and play our future in the final game. They need the experience NOW!

**** They need to play whomever isn't red-shirting and give them minutes. It is time.... and that's that.

**** It is time for the younger kids to get their PT and set a tone for Spring practice

**** Next year is so important to the program. All the focus should be on that from now on.

So, tell me. What is paramount? Closing out Wagner or getting some kids game time, to better prepare them for next year, the first autobid year into the playoffs? And for the sake of argument, you can't have both, i.e. the outcome of the Wagner game remains in question from beginning to end. I really am curious as to your answer.

I know you aren't asking me, but I'll respond anyway.

If I can't have both, I'd take prepping the team for next year's run over beating Wagner.

I'm sure others would disagree and I'm sure that my opinion is in the minority.

Maybe its because I am more entrenched in the national FCS scene than most Albany fans (sans Ruler, Dane96 and UAalumn72) but I have seen what a playoff run can do for a team and a school and how important that is for a young program that has no money. Playoff success can combat teams with money.

That is something that backing into the NEC championship cannot do.

I really feel that you guys will see this when we make it into the playoffs. Now all we really play for is the NEC championship. It was the same when I played and I cherish my NEC championships rings because of that. Next year the conference championships will begin to carry weight for one reason and one reason alone: the AQ. They will start to be referred to as "winning the AQ" and not "winning the NEC". And if the NEC ever becomes a two-bid league (which it probably won't) you'll start to see that the NEC championship really means little.

Ask a CAA fan if they care about winning the CAA championship. 99% will tell you they don't. Its about winning in the playoffs, even if that means you'll do it next year.

If you are going to quote someone, someone dont part and parcel it without context. WHEN did I advocate...other than stating they should get time for a half...did I say benching anyone in toto? At worse, I was off for a quarter.

So dont put words in my mouth. And yes, this is the same Dane96 that posted the original statement because the sentiment and message have not changed; you are merely parsing words.

Frankly speaking, if we cant beat Wagner in the first half and the first part of the 3rd qtr...we have MAJOR ISSUES and at that point, it doesnt matter who is in.

Lets be realistic here, it makes no difference if we win or lose against Wagner(obviously I want to win for pride) as far as the the NEC title goes. 7-4 or 6-5 is the same. Should lightening strike and we manage to get a piece of the NEC, what is it worth that we backed into it? So, basically the season is over. We are saying that up and coming players need experience for a new age in UA football. A new age that will put us potentially in the FCS playoffs.

These players should not be in this position at the end of a 21 game NEC run. Do you have any idea how awful a team Robert Morris is? They are playing overall like it is the beginning of a 21 game run. Maybe they are burnt out I am not certain. They have done a great job and brought the program to new heights. No one is taking that away from them. Realize most of the players coming up behind them are on scholarship and overall probably better athletes. They need playing time for what is a huge season next year. There are some Sr's who won't play at all as a result of this.

I gather your answer is that giving playing time to younger players, who you think will have an instrumental role in next year's team, is "paramount" to winning this years last game against Wagner. Is that your position? For the sake of this discussion, you can't have it both ways..... and by the way, I think a 6-2 conference record with a possible NEC co-title versus a 5-3 record and ending the season with three consecutive conference losses is a big difference.

Archived