UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Time to Prep for Next Year

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most intimidating/best player we faced was none other then 10 year NFL player Southern Conn's Scott Mercereau. He was voted NFL strongest man like 3 years running when he was with the Jets.

I was recruited to Southern and was on a visit there the same weekend he was and he came out of HS @ 240. When we played them and beat them in 85 he was 295(can u say stacks of anavar??? Him with the rest of their team) and could flat out fly. He ran our qb down like

he was standing still. Our qb kept the ball on an option and turned the corner for a big gainer and was rundown with a head start of about 25 yards by Mercereau. We were 2-2 against them in those days.

I ran into him years later and told me Southern hated playing us. We were the only team that ran the wishbone and it really frustrated the hell out of them. They were so much bigger then we were and they couldn't stop the wishbone.

I remember meeting him after the game and looking at his calves (slightly gay...but I am cool with that) and just thinking he was a fricken monster.

What? In other words, you REALLY enjoyed shower time after the games with your teammates? :wub:

In all seriousness, this 43hike dude has an agenda. He's got to be a relative or current starter or something. Ruler's got the good advice, ignore him.

Anyone that thinks some playing time in the last game of the season for next year's possible qb is a bad idea, then he's got it all wrong.

Not a relative, not a player, not a former player, not a dude, and no agenda.... while I don't post much, I've been a member of this board since 2004. I'm just a big fan of UAlbany and FCS football, like all of us here. And this thread is certainly not about whether it is a good idea or not to give next year's QB some playing time. Look.... I'm as disappointed as anyone that we are where we are with one game left. But there is nothing that can be done to change that. My point is simply this. If given a choice, one or the other, of winning against Wagner or playing everybody that I think will have an instrumental role in next year's team, I choose to beat Wagner. Obviously we all hope to achieve both goals on November 21st. I think I've clearly stated my reasons for this and I think they are sound reasons, so I won't repeat myself. I'm sorry if I've offended some of you ; I certainly did not intend to do so. I just don't agree that this years Albany team should in any way compromise its chances of winning its last game in order to somehow better prepare or benefit next years returning players. There is plenty of time during the off season, spring ball, fall camp and OOC games prior to the 2010 NEC schedule for that.

Not a relative, not a player, not a former player, not a dude, and no agenda.... while I don't post much, I've been a member of this board since 2004. I'm just a big fan of UAlbany and FCS football, like all of us here. And this thread is certainly not about whether it is a good idea or not to give next year's QB some playing time. Look.... I'm as disappointed as anyone that we are where we are with one game left. But there is nothing that can be done to change that. My point is simply this. If given a choice, one or the other, of winning against Wagner or playing everybody that I think will have an instrumental role in next year's team, I choose to beat Wagner. Obviously we all hope to achieve both goals on November 21st. I think I've clearly stated my reasons for this and I think they are sound reasons, so I won't repeat myself. I'm sorry if I've offended some of you ; I certainly did not intend to do so. I just don't agree that this years Albany team should in any way compromise its chances of winning its last game in order to somehow better prepare or benefit next years returning players. There is plenty of time during the off season, spring ball, fall camp and OOC games prior to the 2010 NEC schedule for that.

I didn't take your commentary as anything other than a friendly discussion between people with differing view points.

Like I said earlier, there is clearly two sides to this argument and both opinions are just as legitimate IMO.

I think, perhaps, you may have gotten mistakenly lumped in with the other folks who appeared to take this entire thread very personally.

I didn't take your commentary as anything other than a friendly discussion between people with differing view points.

Like I said earlier, there is clearly two sides to this argument and both opinions are just as legitimate IMO.

I think, perhaps, you may have gotten mistakenly lumped in with the other folks who appeared to take this entire thread very personally.

Maybe I did mistakenly lump .... I apologize for that.

I believe we can have the best of both worlds during the last game.

Like I said before, much of my Wagner gameplan would be determined after this weekends games.

Scenerios:

#1 If Monmouth beats ccsu, and we beat Wagner, then we take a share of the title.

#2 If Monmouth beats ccsu, and st francis beats ccsu (which I don't believe is possible), and we beat Wagner, we are either co-champions or outright champions and head to the gridiron classic.

#3 If ccsu beats monmouth, then our title hopes are down to 1% .... and we have been eliminated from GridIron consideration.

Regardless of which scenerio takes a stand, we can sprinkle in non-starters into our last game. I'm not saying after the first quarter, bench the starters. I'm saying after the 1st quarter, we can begin sprinkling non-starters (next years starters) for a play here and a play there.... and I'm not saying do that with all of the starting seniors or specifying for how many starting seniors we should substitute....

If I were running the team, I'd probably be sprinkling in MORE if the #3 scenerio materializes.

I would not throw the game to do this though.

Danefan and Dane 96 ignore him. He is just trying to provoke you both knowing full well Danefan was a QB in those days. He really doesn't understand how this game works. We have given him more then he needs.

He doesn't understand this level of football with a statement like "we can compete with anybody in the FCS" He is not aware of the differences of a fully funded team with 63 rides vs and Albany team with 34 next season.

43hike52....just so you know in 2011 Cincy will 85 full rides vs our 36. You like our chances?

Don't let anyone over at AGS know you think Albany is a second class citizen in the FCS world..... they'll think those competitive games against Montana, Delaware, GSU, Maine, Hofstra, Colgate, Lehigh, etc. were all just a fluke and they won't let you live it down.

As far as Cincy is concerned, I don't like the chances of anyone on their remaining schedule this year - West Virginia, Illinois or Pittsburgh. But I will tell you this..... I will always root for an FCS team over an FBS program no matter who is in the mix!

Danefan and Dane 96 ignore him. He is just trying to provoke you both knowing full well Danefan was a QB in those days. He really doesn't understand how this game works. We have given him more then he needs.

He doesn't understand this level of football with a statement like "we can compete with anybody in the FCS" He is not aware of the differences of a fully funded team with 63 rides vs and Albany team with 34 next season.

43hike52....just so you know in 2011 Cincy will 85 full rides vs our 36. You like our chances?

Don't let anyone over at AGS know you think Albany is a second class citizen in the FCS world..... they'll think those competitive games against Montana, Delaware, GSU, Maine, Hofstra, Colgate, Lehigh, etc. were all just a fluke and they won't let you live it down.

As far as Cincy is concerned, I don't like the chances of anyone on their remaining schedule this year - West Virginia, Illinois or Pittsburgh. But I will tell you this..... I will always root for an FCS team over an FBS program no matter who is in the mix!

Those close games weren't flukes at all. But in reality what is a fluke is what Coach Ford has been able to do at Albany. He has been able to put together teams that perform well above their pay grade.

Fluke probably isn't the right word, but perhaps "miracle" is. biggrin.gif

To get back to the question of rebuilding or reloading , I think it needs to be looked at and broken down by position. The following is only my constructive opion .

O-Line

Sparono

Gonzalez

Okeefe

Piefer

Faughnan

Migiore

Stevens

I think we are reloading at this position . Alot of solid players with expeience

Tight End

Booker

Papso

Keene

Berwager

Wilhelm

Other than Booker alot off questions need to be answered . I think we will need to rebuild at this position

Wide Recievers

Poore

Kirchner

Lullen

Hutherson

Weaver

King

Loosing a play maker like Bush will hurt . That having been said I think we will be more accurate at the Qb position . I think we are reloading at this position

Running Backs

Smith

Akong

Wilson

Miselkis

Smith will be the featured back , it is already in the works . If he stays healthy he will be a record breaker .The others are unknow but i think with Smith we are relaoding .

Quarter Backs

Dilella

Leathley

Whom ever they bring in

I watched yesterdays practice and some scrimmaging and was impressed with what i saw . This is going to be an interseting battle and will leave it at that . It is my opinion we are reloading

D-Line

Kelly

Delaney

Bundrage

Anderson

Wargo

Longo

Moushey

I see these guys better than this year. Absoulutly reloading.

Linebackers

Plungas

Wilk

Tretina

Morgan

Holloway

Bouchard

I think we will be fine at the inside position . Morgan is great on the outside but someone will need to step up . I think we are reloading in the middle and rebuilding on the outside.

Safeties

Ciccarello

Cervini

Harper

Mason

Benway

Hector

Ciccarello does a good job agaist the run , Benway was hurt early this year but is a good player . All others are unknown I believe we will be rebuilding this position.

Corners

Bertrand

Cooper

Crockett

Exantus

Head

Brown

Other than Bertrand this position scares me . Lets hope someone steps up or we bring some quality guys in . Rebuilding

Forgot Full backs

Carl

Peterson

Both guys good player . reloading

Please keep in mind we don't know who will be coming in the Fall , hopefully some studs.

WOOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.....good Albany football talk makes me happy.

Great analysis FM!

That makes me more and more confident in next year's squad.

Offensively we'll be OK if we can get production from the QB position. Teams have our # now when it comes to the run game. We'll need to establish a solid passing game next year and do that early or else we'll be in for more Bryant/RMU type games. I'm not sure yet what to expect from that position. Hopefully what you saw in practice will translate to game situations.

The defensive secondary scares me as well. Especially considering that Coach Simp's scheme always seems to put a lot of pressure on covering the in-between flats (between the DB's and LB's). The DB's have to step up big or we are completely vulernable in the 10-15 yard range.

At the OLB, I expect a big stepup from Tritina. According to reports around signing time last year, he was offered a preferred walk-on spot at Penn Sate and took scholarship money to Albany instead. He comes from a good area South Jersey football and performed very well in the NJ all-star game.

So, now that monmouth imploded against ccsu with a nice lead,

that leads UA with zero chance for a gridiron bid. We were eliminated.

It also leaves us with only a 1% chance to earn a shared title with ccsu.

If a miracle happens, and st francis beats ccsu.... then we will be co-champions.

Now, anyone think ccsu will lose to st francis?

Not me.

Quarter Backs

Dilella

Leathley

Whom ever they bring in

I watched yesterdays practice and some scrimmaging and was impressed with what i saw . This is going to be an interseting battle and will leave it at that . It is my opinion we are reloading

Do you think it will ultimately be an UPGRADE at this position, when all is said and done?

Archived