UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next step

Just curious - why do you think Billy Allen will graduate this year? Isn't he a junior eligibility-wise?

He was a red shirt wasn't he? So he should graduate with his Bachelor's degree this year... anyone know if he plans on getting an advanced degree and staying on one more year to play?

another question begging to be asked...what happens with Will Brown? Realistically I think it would be prudent to wait until the 2010-2011 season is over before making a signing decision, but the school is so enamored with him I wouldn't be surprised to see McElroy "negotiate" another 5+ year deal before the season. Hate him or love him, the program does not need to shackle itself to him for the next 5 years like it did back in 06, nor does it need to can him (unless of course we saw a repeat of 2009-2010). If it were my call I'd make CB coach through next season, and give him a 2-3 year proposal based upon the performance of that season. This is a business and more specifically a "what have you done for me lately" business. He has not been to the NCAA's under his current contract so the school sure as heck shouldn't pay him that way...I'm just praying the school doesn't do anything foolish.

another question begging to be asked...what happens with Will Brown? Realistically I think it would be prudent to wait until the 2010-2011 season is over before making a signing decision, but the school is so enamored with him I wouldn't be surprised to see McElroy "negotiate" another 5+ year deal before the season. Hate him or love him, the program does not need to shackle itself to him for the next 5 years like it did back in 06, nor does it need to can him (unless of course we saw a repeat of 2009-2010). If it were my call I'd make CB coach through next season, and give him a 2-3 year proposal based upon the performance of that season. This is a business and more specifically a "what have you done for me lately" business. He has not been to the NCAA's under his current contract so the school sure as heck shouldn't pay him that way...I'm just praying the school doesn't do anything foolish.

Coach Brown is already signed through the 11-12 season - he was given an extension after the 2007 NCAA appearance and the flirtation with St Bonaventure

Info on Billy...

"Allen said he talked to Brown earlier this season about his decision not to come back next year. He said it was tough, but he also said it was time to get on with his life. Before that, though, he wanted to do something — anything — to help this team win.

He did that on Sunday." http://blog.timesunion.com/collegesports/billy-allen-has-his-senior-moment-for-ualbany/10579/

We'll miss you Billy--you've been clutch when asked to be.

So..it looks like the situation is:

New Available Scholarships

1 (Tim Ambrose)

2 (Billy Allen)

3 (Fran Urli)

4, possibly/likely (Russell Moore)

5, possibly/likely (Theo Hatcher)

New Committed Scholarships

1 (Gerardo Suero)

2 (Chris Page)

3 (Sam Rowley)

4, if available (likely Jacob Iati, per alum73)

5, if available (open)

Is that correct?

My completely uneducated opinion is that they will/should hold on to the scholarship..unless there's a 'can't afford not to offer' type player that becomes available.

If I'm reading everything correctly..for the 11-12 season..the team will have:

Freshmen (2) - Page, Rowley

Sophomores (3) - Puk, Watts, Devlin

Juniors (7) - Black, Aronhalt, Metcalf, Tartt, Lindfors, Iati, Suero

Seniors (0)

Unless something unforeseen happens..and I understand it's a very big assumption to think that nothing will..there will be zero scholarships to recruit with going into 12-13. Holding on to the last scholarship..since it's this 'late' in the process for 11-12 seems to make the most sense to me..with what we know now.

As far as I can figure out that sounds correct. I'm curious what type of player they will be looking for with that last scholarship. Maybe a shooting guard/small forward.

Consider giving the last scholarship to Vermont. They seem to be able to best represent the AE year in and year out. There is a reason why UA had two moments on the national stage, including vs Connecticut, (the 'worst thing that happened to the program') and subsequently returned to obscurity. For a school our size in a conference so insignificant, to not even contend since then indicates an inexcusably poor job of recruiting and coaching.

Consider giving the last scholarship to Vermont. They seem to be able to best represent the AE year in and year out. There is a reason why UA had two moments on the national stage, including vs Connecticut, (the 'worst thing that happened to the program') and subsequently returned to obscurity. For a school our size in a conference so insignificant, to not even contend since then indicates an inexcusably poor job of recruiting and coaching.

Now that the team beat Siena..you have to find a new complaint? UVM's done well over the past 10 years..8 20-win seasons..4 NCAA appearances..pending this year. Know how many they had had in their previous 87 seasons? ZERO.

Danes have struggled a bit in the 3+ seasons since their 06-07 title..yes. But to suggest they haven't contended? Pending this year..the team finished tied for 2nd in 07-08..and then made it to the tourney semi-finals in 08-09.

Some other AE teams have to be thankful you're not a fan of their programs...

Maine - ZERO NCAA appearances since they began in 1904-05

Hartford - ZERO NCAA appearances since they began in 1985-86

New Hampshire - ZERO NCAA appearances since they began in 1902-03

Stony Brook - ZERO NCAA appearances since they began in 1999-00

UAlbany - TWO NCAA appearances since they began in 1999-00

Archived