UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Kevin Galuski ‏@UAEQUIPMENT

Ualbany Football moving to the CAA for football For the 2013 season. Big time football for the city of Albany

The only thing more official then this will be a press release from the CAA or UA. Probably next week...now that this cat is out of the bag.

You may ask, who is Kevin Galuski...he's someone pretty close to the top at UA athletics. Assistant Athletic Director & Director of Operations for New York Giants Training Camp

Edited by Clickclack

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If our admission into the CAA turns out to be true, we'll go from what the Bleacher Report ranked as the worst confernece to what they ranked as the best. a 14 conference spot jump. I think the CAA could also argueably be better than the FBS Sun Belt.

This is just amazing and such a great turn of events. I'm so happy with the potential jump. UA is a major state research university and this is where we always belonged... with Delaware, UNH, Maine and hopefully URI and SBU.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/921820-college-football-ranking-all-fifteen-fcs-conferences#/articles/921820-college-football-ranking-all-fifteen-fcs-conferences/page/3

Edited by SoCal_Dane

If the admission into the CAA turns out to be true, what is the earliest season we could schedule a FBS money game? I wouldn't be surprised if every CAA team has at least one FBS opponent this year. I believe the NCAA requires a rolling average of 50 something scholarships over two years for a team to count as a "counter". Would 2014 be too early? I assume it depends on scholarship ramp up speed by the university. I would hope by no later than 2015. SBU has Syracuse and Army this year. That adds a lot of excitement and $$$.

I don't remember details, but I'm pretty sure one of the NEC teams has an FBS game scheduled...

and I assume they are receiving money for the game...

and of course, as an NEC team, they have 38 schollies only...

so, maybe we can schedule an fbs team right away.

Edited by uofalbany

It's a two-year rolling average of 56.5 scholarships (90% of the maximum) for an FCS team to count as a win toward bowl eligibility, but - a) the FBS team may not care, either because they're sure of getting six wins anyway, or have no hope of getting them b ) only one FCS win counts, and a few FBS teams play two, just to get a home game.

It'd be possible to ramp up faster by converting most of our partial-scholarship players to full (that's what UMass did when moving to FBS) but it's late for this year, it would be using scholarships without improving the team, and doing so would probably make us ineligible for the NEC championship.

Central Conn. played Western Michigan a few years ago and got I think $235K.

Edited by UAalum72

Coach Ford told the football alums at their golf tournament Saturday.

SBU is also getting an invitation. I assume they will take it.

Coach also said URI would be staying in the CAA. I think with UA, SBU added to the other northern schools,

the travel budget became much more reasonable.

Edited by alum73

I know this has been discussed a ton already..but assuming it plays out like Coach Ford said with UAlbany, SBU and URI all in the CAA..what would be the likely conference/division scenario?

CAA North:

UAlbany

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

Maine

New Hampshire

CAA South:

William & Mary

Richmond

James Madison

Remainders:

Villanova

Towson

Delaware

1 more team to make 2 six-team divisions?

Additional thought: Put Nova, Towson and Delaware in the South and grab CCSU for the North. That would look nice.

Edited by Phoenix

CAA North:

UAlbany

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

Maine

New Hampshire

Villanova

CAA South:

William & Mary

Richmond

James Madison

Towson

Delaware

(Open Spot)

The Open Spot in the south will likely be a Socon team or Coastal Carolina out of the Big South. My $$$$ is on Elon.

I'm gonna just throw this out there...with our football program joining the CAA does it give us a leg up on all-sports should there be further realignment in the next 5 years?

I know there is an entirely different discussion to be had as to the viability and benefit of such a move, cost etc. But if the AE continues to flounder as one of the worst D1 conferences in the country perhaps it would at some later point in time make sense.

I'm gonna just throw this out there...with our football program joining the CAA does it give us a leg up on all-sports should there be further realignment in the next 5 years?

I know there is an entirely different discussion to be had as to the viability and benefit of such a move, cost etc. But if the AE continues to flounder as one of the worst D1 conferences in the country perhaps it would at some later point in time make sense.

It takes away the question of institutional commitment. That has to help.