UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Will Brown

So if either of those teams offer him 500k UA is screwed

I think the number for either school will be more like $750k a year for five years. Both Pecora and Hewitt had contracts in that range.

If WB is offered that type of deal, especially from GMU, it will be tough to keep him. Benson doesn't really have any control over this.

I also can't see him going just to go for an interview for the heck of it. He'd have to be genuinely interested in the job and both schools would not waste their time and money on someone that just wants to use them as leverage. Mason and fordahm all know what happened with their peer school St Bona. They absolutely hate him up there and never forgot as I am reading from Bonnie fans on Twitter in response to Brown being interviewed.

Question is, can UA give him a raise right now if the school wanted to?

You shouldn't assume.

Sometimes it's the right time.

There is a limit to what UA can and should pay. If we want to be a top notch cost-contained national athletic program we better get used to coach using all of our programs as stepping stones.

It also means something good is happening that gets them noticed.

Edited by danefan

Paul Hewitt had success at LCC, a substantial amount of success at GT and then a lot of success at GM when they were in the CAA. Then in the A-10 they (he) tanked. That has to give anyone pause since

a conference upgrade should give a coach some leeway for building up to the level. On the other hand there comes a time when it's "show me the money" and doubling salary for 4-5 years can be a balm

for worries. I hope he stays too, but our reality is that salary is limited and we are a mid-major in the lower rank of conferences, saddled with a controlling state university system and a lack

of deep pocket boosters. It is what it is. But hey, the guy at VT (Brennan?) stayed there forever.

So if either of those teams offer him 500k UA is screwed

I think the number for either school will be more like $750k a year for five years. Both Pecora and Hewitt had contracts in that range.

If WB is offered that type of deal, especially from GMU, it will be tough to keep him. Benson doesn't really have any control over this.

Always remember Will has been in the retirement (if he chose that) for a while and he was at a state community college. A pension is something he can't get at any other school at least with the time he has with NYS. So although we may not be able to pay him annually as much, what he can get when he retires could make up for it. Plus he could retire from NY and then still go coach someplace else to after his 30 years. I know not all SUNY staff choose the retirement system. .I know there is some other thing but I can't remember the name. I wish TWC had that interview online that was done a week or so ago and they asked him about other jobs.

If Coach Brown is in the state retirement system that will be a huge factor in the financial part of his decision. Based upon his salary his annual fixed retirement will be more than $175,000. In order to receive that benefit from a 401K he will have to save more than 4 million dollars. I think he is being pulled by the idea of being on a bigger stage. If he passes this up he may not have another chance. UAlbany will have lots of talent looking to be the men's head coach. The UA program is much bigger than one man or woman.

Whether or not he goes, this is a common negotiation tool. You have very little to lose by entertaining offers, and interviewing. It helps elevate your name, and is a tool for leverage. It worked once before for him, and no one would ever fault you for taking a job interview just because. People do it all the time. Why would anyone fault him or be shocked if he did it?

At the end of the day, there's a LOT of factors that go into a move like this, outside of just basketball. He's a family man, with roots upstate. You have children to consider, cost of living etc. If he gets a significant raise of several hundred thousand dollars somewhere else, that nullifies cost of living difference, but there's a lot more to it than just numbers.

Question for you guys - as I'm not as familiar. If a coach leaves, how does it affect current players on roster or those committed to the school? Automatic waiver to leave, without losing year of eligibility or waiting a year?

Whether or not he goes, this is a common negotiation tool. You have very little to lose by entertaining offers, and interviewing. It helps elevate your name, and is a tool for leverage. It worked once before for him, and no one would ever fault you for taking a job interview just because. People do it all the time. Why would anyone fault him or be shocked if he did it?

At the end of the day, there's a LOT of factors that go into a move like this, outside of just basketball. He's a family man, with roots upstate. You have children to consider, cost of living etc. If he gets a significant raise of several hundred thousand dollars somewhere else, that nullifies cost of living difference, but there's a lot more to it than just numbers.

Question for you guys - as I'm not as familiar. If a coach leaves, how does it affect current players on roster or those committed to the school? Automatic waiver to leave, without losing year of eligibility or waiting a year?

Kids that would want to leave still have to sit a year, new recruits that haven't played yet can be released from scholarship and can go anywhere. Sine they can't played they can be immediately eligible.

Anyone in this business understands how it works. It's not their first rodeo. Getting an offer, and rejecting it, again, is not something uncommon. I don't think the bridge will be burned if he turns down a job, so long as he doesn't accept it and reneg. This is all very common.

This! It burns no bridges to interview and not accept if offered. This is not your typical 9-5 job, these man and woman on the ladies side know that this is the game. They actually call it a coaching carousel...everyone knows if you can, take a spin but you don't have to go.

All current players and those who are committed by signing a LOI would have to be released by the school. This is absolutely not automatic.

Coach Brown is probably not in the ERS (NY state retirement system). He is most probably in TIAA-Cref which is an option that is available at most universities including Fordham and George Mason. The state pays a substantial portion in but it is not a traditional pension. The state pension is only a really good deal if you stay in until you qualify for full benefit this is why most coaches and faculty do not take this option. The probability is high that they will move during their career.

Some of you people actually talk like you've been on the ride before.

I'm quite darn sure the Brown burned his bridge with the bonnies, and some

others that watched it closely.

I tell you what.. if an applicant interviews at my business, I EXPECT that they are requesting our time

because they WANT the position. If an applicant turns down the position or hesitates accepting, their file is gone for good.

Fairly certain that most of the crucial details of a coaching position and its benefits package are already (at least roughly) known before a coach accepts

an interview with any program.

Brown has a special situation at Albany. He has a LOT to risk by leaving. You'd hope that someone wouldn't take a coaching job at a bottom dweller in a slightly better league, flounder horribly, and be let go....... and then hope he can land ANY job in the future.

But hey, the guy at VT (Brennan?) stayed there forever.

But Brennan wouldn't have had any offers with 9 losing seasons out his first 15, none better than 16-11 and third place.

I don't think you'd be burning bridges if you're interested in each other but can't meet on the money, perks, or length of contract.