UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The seats were sold by the store which was operated by the Athletics Dept - they were not sold by Barnes and Noble.

Mr. Cegles was not an employee of the University until this year - he has no personal experience with anything having to do with the situation prior to this season. I spoke to him as I was tailgating on Saturday. He gave me a clear zip lock baggie (really) and the line that the rules were in effect since the stadium opened but they were not enforced. My response to him was that he was either misinformed since he was not here or he was lying. The rules for the stadium were on the athletics website when the stadium opened (that's how we knew that umbrellas were not allowed) and were posted near the main entrance. There was no mention of portable seat backs for bleacher seats in that set of rules. The public could only find out about this NEW policy when they were told as they were trying to enter the stadium for the first game this year.

I believe Cegles when he says that UPD strongly influenced the decision to implement a new security policy but UPD does NOT have final decision making power. The policy must be approved by Athletics as that is the area of the University that controls the Stadium. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the first home basketball game at SEFCU.

No communication is very different from poor communication.

I am not sure that is the case. In my conversations with the athletic department, B&N has rights to all merchandising sale of apparel on campus. Kind of like Sodexo has rights to sell all food on campus.

Also, and unless something has dramatically changed over the years, UPD has full control over all safety precautions on all of UA campus sites...including athletic events. When I dealt with them in organizing all the concerts on campus, they had full control until we went offsite to Lincoln Park.

Granted, that could have changed in the last 20 years...

Edited by Dane96

Yeah, I would imagine UPD has priority over what even the president or AD want. When he said that, I didn't even doubt it. I think the school just used that to slide in the seats, which I still don't agree with...even if they are sold by B&N and not the school.

It is what it is at this point. Maybe if we hit them hard on the survey's at the end of the year, etc. they may reconsider changing the policy to something less strict.

The seats were sold by the store which was operated by the Athletics Dept - they were not sold by Barnes and Noble.

Mr. Cegles was not an employee of the University until this year - he has no personal experience with anything having to do with the situation prior to this season. I spoke to him as I was tailgating on Saturday. He gave me a clear zip lock baggie (really) and the line that the rules were in effect since the stadium opened but they were not enforced. My response to him was that he was either misinformed since he was not here or he was lying. The rules for the stadium were on the athletics website when the stadium opened (that's how we knew that umbrellas were not allowed) and were posted near the main entrance. There was no mention of portable seat backs for bleacher seats in that set of rules. The public could only find out about this NEW policy when they were told as they were trying to enter the stadium for the first game this year.

I believe Cegles when he says that UPD strongly influenced the decision to implement a new security policy but UPD does NOT have final decision making power. The policy must be approved by Athletics as that is the area of the University that controls the Stadium. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the first home basketball game at SEFCU.

No communication is very different from poor communication.

I am not sure that is the case. In my conversations with the athletic department, B&N has rights to all merchandising sale of apparel on campus. Kind of like Sodexo has rights to sell all food on campus.

Also, and unless something has dramatically changed over the years, UPD has full control over all safety precautions on all of UA campus sites...including athletic events. When I dealt with them in organizing all the concerts on campus, they had full control until we went offsite to Lincoln Park.

Granted, that could have changed in the last 20 years...

I am sure - the store was run by Athletics until recently - with in the last year

As for the authority of UPD - they only have full control when granted by the University

for example if you want to get a permit for a concert in the stadium then Athletics can put UPD in control of setting the security rules

UPD does not have FULL CONTROL - UPD serves its function at the direction of the Administration

Rules are arrived at through discussions and recommendation with the Dept or Division that has control - UPD does not get everything they ask for

• Like 1

Eli, I have another email ready to go. If what you say is true and they won't budge on the seat issue, then my mind is made up. I will never give them another dime that does not have substantial value in return. I am disgusted with the athletic Department. No more university donation, no more athletic department donations. Please join me.

Is UPD state police or anything related to SUNY statewide?

If so, are the state police requiring SB to also change their policy?

Not SP, each campus has a fully sworn police department, under the Office of University Police. System Administration at SUNY Central. https://www.suny.edu/police/

Eli, I have another email ready to go. If what you say is true and they won't budge on the seat issue, then my mind is made up. I will never give them another dime that does not have substantial value in return. I am disgusted with the athletic Department. No more university donation, no more athletic department donations. Please join me.

He basically sounded like he was saying they may discuss it in the off-season but not to hold my breath for any changes...without saying it...that was the 'vibe' I got. Who knows, maybe those surveys do play a large role (maybe that's why they changed parking, etc.)?

Is UPD state police or anything related to SUNY statewide?

If so, are the state police requiring SB to also change their policy?

Not SP, each campus has a fully sworn police department, under the Office of University Police. System Administration at SUNY Central. https://www.suny.edu/police/

Hmm so I wonder what the SUNY police are saying on the other football SUNY campuses.. UB, SB.. have they changed their policies..? That would be my question to the school.

Edited by MRSGDG

Buffalo allows seats that don't impede the comfort of adjacent fans. http://www.ubbulls.com/fanZone/gameday/2014FootballGameDayGuide.pdfI see they give a reason for every tailgating and gameday rule

Stony Brook doesn't mention stadium seats http://www.stonybrookathletics.com/documents/2016/8/31/2016fanguide.pdf

Richmond does not prohibit stadium seats and on and on....

Now that the seats are banned they are looking for reasons to back up the decision. I did not get my seats from B&N. They were handed to me directly by a member of the AD staff. So the claim that they came from a B&N controlled store is patently false. It sounds like many of you had the same experience.

He basically sounded like he was saying they may discuss it in the off-season but not to hold my breath for any changes...without saying it...that was the 'vibe' I got. Who knows, maybe those surveys do play a large role (maybe that's why they changed parking, etc.)?

. Meeting VC for coffee next week and bringing my "smoke detector" (better half).

. Meeting VC for coffee next week and bringing my "smoke detector" (better half).
He should explain more of this Barnes and Noble claim for those who bought stuff in 2013 from athletics and not B&N. Hopefully he didn't make an "assumption" that because today it's B&N that the last 4 years it was always B&N..or if he will still claim we are all wrong..

Edit: I've heard he has also brought up that the NFL has these rules, so it's okay that we do (said to tailgaters). However fellow SUNYs do not nor other CAA. Would like to know why we UA need NFL security level but other fellow schools don't. Seem like SUNY should do an across the board change if the suny police were really the impetus.

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

I get not blindly following orders and standing up for what you feel is right and doing what you think is best for your own pockets, but this whole "fiasco" seems to be out of hand and pretty petty - on both sides. Whiners complaining about not being able to use something that cost them under $20, and an athletic department that is trying anyway it can to get more revenue, ensure safety, and do what's right for the university and fans while following DHS recommendations in the way they interpret them.

There are plenty of things you can buy in an airport or in a movie theater that you cant bring into the place after you leave with it. Many people might want to buy a UAlbany logo'd stadium seat to show their UA support when they attend a high school or pop warner game.

The people on this site are the "superfans" and the ones that are supposed to care the most about helping the program grow. To grow it needs more $$. Most of these complaints seem like trolling to get your rocks off and not doing anything substantial to help the program grow. If you dislike the policy, that is fine and your choice. Voice your complaints. See if you can effect change. That is the American way. Just remember you get more flies with honey. Threatening to cut off all support because of a policy you disagree with wouldn't make me want to give in and change my policy though if I worked for the program. You don't give into terrorists. Find a constructive way to show that changing the policy would provide a better environment in the stadium or help get more revenue and you will win. Find out how many people wont go because of the policy and how many lost fans will happen because of it.

I am sure there are plenty of fans that would give you your $20 back out of pocket to not have to hear the whining. How many fans is this issue actually pissing off? 20? 30? I question if it is even that high.

• Like 1