UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Can't wait to see new SEFCU policy...

honestly, if someone from the AD Dept reads this message board, I don't care...YOU ARE ACTING LIKE TOTAL MORONS ON THIS ISSUE. Notice how the loyalists of your program, those who spend hundreds of dollars on this school's athletic program are talking about you. Now think how the casual fan, which you are trying to bring in, may feel.

The restrictions I can live with...yes it's the way of the world...but the fact that the university is/was allowing this stuff for one game and then switch, with very little warning, is garbage. IF YOU WANTED TO IMPLEMENT THIS, IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANNOUNCED IN JULY/AUGUST, especially since this is a major change in policy and people must adjust to the policy. EVEN WORSE, YOU TRIED TO IMPLEMENT THIS NEW POLICY WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE ABOUT THE POLICY! COMMUNICATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT WAS AN ISSUE 10 YEARS AGO WHEN I WAS AT THIS SCHOOL AND WHAT DO YOU KNOW, HAS NOT CHANGED!

However, more upsetting is that the university was selling products, knew they sold these products, and now say those products are not allowed. Even worse, you were selling them well within the time frame of when you could have announced a policy change before the season. Also, that people brought said products into the stadium GAME 1 with no incident what so ever and then come up with a lame excuse that it can be a weapon. MY HAT CAN BE A WEAPON IF I THREW IT!

• Like 1

Great now I have to find clear plastic bag for all of my two year old son stuff. Can'the bring in the diaper bag Bing.

somehow I think your needs will be met at the stadium store with new stadium compliant UAlbany clear tote bags ready for sale. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't stocking the shelves right now! The question is will we be able to use them in three years or will they be deemed unsafe because we could put them over the heads of opposing fans. Then we'll have to get new stadium compliant clear perforated bags to prevent suffocation.

LMFAO sad but true
Y'know people can get awfully worked up at those Stony Brook games. I've heard the guy who sits in front of me voice his opinion so loudly it made me think that perhaps one of those new "safe places" would be in order in Sec 205. ;-)
  • Like 1

Do season ticket holders get a seat-back automatically? Because in most big name FBS programs, you get season tickets you get a seat-back with it (and yes those are bolted in). I would know my uncle has Tennessee season tickets and gets them.

An email just went out about the bag policy. I hope you're all happy that you've forced their hand. I was planning on kneeling during the National Anthem until this was resolved ;).

Forced their hand? I didn't get an email. Must be on their $iena list.
  • Like 1

I have no problem with the rule but give me a notice before the first game of the season. Anyone have a suggestion of where I can find one (bag).

THIS...RIGHT HERE.

The issue is the lack of communication, and that is a VERY BIG ISSUE. The Athletic Department pays enough people that someone should have called a meeting before the school year to deal with this kind of stuff.

That said, I have no issue with the rule. Fact is, this goes on even at high schools in Boston. In almost every single sporting event I have been to in Europe, Canada, and the U.S. in the last two years, you find these policies exist. It is a changing world...and agree with it or not, entities are being extra cautious on what goes into a Stadium. The beverage issue is a no brainer. I remember as a kid my mom packing me sandwiches for the Yankees games. Those days are over: concessions are the second biggest money maker at many stadiums (in some it is Parking).

I have no issue with the bag ban, the outside food/beverage ban, the need for clear bags, etc. Heck, if you don't think College sporting matches are not soft targets for terrorism...well, I have news for you....

My big issue is the lack of communication. There are WAY too many people making 6 figure and high 5 figure salaries who should have thought about these policies in advance. It is a big oversight and, frankly, the Athletic Department should do the right thing and address that they made a communications mistake so that we can all move on.

• Like 1

Can't wait to see new SEFCU policy...

honestly, if someone from the AD Dept reads this message board, I don't care...YOU ARE ACTING LIKE TOTAL MORONS ON THIS ISSUE. Notice how the loyalists of your program, those who spend hundreds of dollars on this school's athletic program are talking about you. Now think how the casual fan, which you are trying to bring in, may feel.

Completely off base...but entitled to your opinion. And, for clarity, I've never been an athletic department apologist. In fact, I've been quite the opposite.

People need to take a deep breath.

You wanted a "big time program". These are "big time 'par-for-the-course'" concepts at most major colleges and pro team facilities.

Don't let the lack of message get away from the fact that the school NEEDS TO MAKE MONEY to provide the monetary support our teams need to be competitive. Y'all seem to forget that less than...what....25% of the school's funding comes from State subsidies, none of which can go directly to athletics. If the school charged full price for every ticket to a football game...and we sold-out all of our home games...we STILL WOULDN'T have enough revenue to cover solely football scholarships.

Where do you suggest the funding comes from...

Great now I have to find clear plastic bag for all of my two year old son stuff. Can'the bring in the diaper bag Bing.

somehow I think your needs will be met at the stadium store with new stadium compliant UAlbany clear tote bags ready for sale. It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't stocking the shelves right now! The question is will we be able to use them in three years or will they be deemed unsafe because we could put them over the heads of opposing fans. Then we'll have to get new stadium compliant clear perforated bags to prevent suffocation.
LMFAO sad but true
Y'know people can get awfully worked up at those Stony Brook games. I've heard the guy who sits in front of me voice his opinion so loudly it made me think that perhaps one of those new "safe places" would be in order in Sec 205. ;-)

I think I know the guy you're talking about. He's mildly entertaining at times. Rumor has it he couldn't sing in church the next day because he yelled so much the day before. That'll learn him.

Do season ticket holders get a seat-back automatically? Because in most big name FBS programs, you get season tickets you get a seat-back with it (and yes those are bolted in). I would know my uncle has Tennessee season tickets and gets them.

No. $20/yr.

Edited by Eli

My big issue is the lack of communication. There are WAY too many people making 6 figure and high 5 figure salaries who should have thought about these policies in advance. It is a big oversight and, frankly, the Athletic Department should do the right thing and address that they made a communications mistake so that we can all move on.

This. I think that's most peoples issue right now. The thing that really annoys me is the fact that they sold an item which is now banned up until and during (guessing) the game against HC. That's comical.

Here is the email that was sent via blast for anyone who's wondering or didn't get it:

UAlbany Implements New Stadium Bag Policy

Dear Great Dane Fans,

In order to help provide a safer environment for our fans and student-athletes and to expedite fan entry into Casey Stadium, UAlbany Athletics has partnered with the University at Albany Police Department to implement a new Stadium Bag Policy. This new Stadium Bag Policy is effective immediately and will be implemented for this Saturday’s game, September 24, 2016, versus Saint Francis University.

PERMISSIBLE BAGS/ITEMS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

• One clear bag no larger than 12" by x 6" x 12" OR a one-gallon plastic storage bag.
  • One small clutch bag or purse no larger than 4.5" x 6.5", with or without a strap. Additional clothing, blankets, etc. are permitted if carried loosely or in an approved clear bag. (Blankets should be carried over the shoulder to be screened more quickly).
  • Small cameras, binoculars and cell phones may be carried in loosely or in an approved clear bag.
  • Guests wearing jackets, coats, cargo pants and/or baggy clothing will be subject to being searched.
  • Ticket holders, including children, are limited to one clear bag or clutch purse per guest.

CKBRHJGPMBMNSYK.20160921201559.jpg

ADDITIONAL PROHIBITED ITEMS AND INFORMATION:

Any type of non-clear bag exceeding 4.5” x 6.5” in size including purses/handbags, camera or binocular cases, backpacks, fanny packs, and briefcases/computer bags.

• Portable seating or cushions of any size are not permitted. Portable seatbacks may be rented at the customer service tent located on the concourse, near the North Ticket Box.
  • Bottles, cans, thermoses, coolers, alcoholic beverages, outside food or drink, portable chairs/seats, umbrellas, professional cameras and tripods, noise makers, banners/signs/sticks, chains, illegals substances, firearms, laser pointers, strollers, fireworks, aerosol cans, pets, pepper spray, and any item deemed by management as dangerous or inappropriate.
  • Diaper bags are not permitted. However, diapers and wipes may be carried in a clear bag.

The University at Albany and the Athletic Department are not responsible for items left behind, lost, stolen, or damaged. Thank you for supporting UAlbany Athletics. If you have any questions please contact a UAlbany Athletics customer service representative at 518-442-DANE.

BAG POLICY FAQ

Why did UAlbany Athletics adopt this policy?
Fan experience and the safety of our guests is a top priority of UAlbany Athletics. World events continue to shape the methods utilized for venue security and UAlbany – along with many other collegiate programs and professional leagues – is instituting this policy to enhance public safety and make venue access more efficient and secure by limiting the size and style of bags carried into our venues.

How does the new policy improve public safety?
The clear bag is easily and quickly searched and greatly reduces faulty bag searches. It also supports the Department of Homeland Security's "If You See Something, Say Something" campaign.

How does this make it more convenient for guests?
This will enable us to move guests through our security checkpoints faster, allowing staff to be more efficient and effective in checking bags that are brought into the venue. We also believe guests will realize an improved sense of safety.

How many bags can each person bring into the venue?
Each ticketed guest can carry one large clear bag – either a one-gallon Ziploc-style bag or the 12" by 6" by 12" clear bag – plus a small clutch purse (4.5” x 6.5”). The small clutch allows privacy for small personal items and also is easily searched.

Can guests carry cameras, binoculars, smart phones or tablets separately from what they put in a clear bag?
Yes. Binoculars, smartphones and/or cameras can be carried into the venue so long as they are not in their own case. Guests may carry in their pockets or jacket keys, makeup, feminine products, combs, phone, wallet, credit cards, etc., if they choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch.

What about bringing blankets in cold weather?
Guests may bring blankets by carrying them over a shoulder or arm, allowing guests to be easily screened.

What happens if I show up at the gate with a bag that is not permitted?
Guests carrying bags that do not meet the criteria will be asked to return them to their vehicles.

If I have certain items that I need to bring into the venue for medical reasons and they won't fit in the clear bag, what do I do?
Guests carrying medically necessary bags or equipment into a venue will be required to have their bag inspected and tagged by security. For questions about medical equipment or other needs please contact the UAlbany Athletics customer service office at 518-442-DANE.

Are all purses prohibited?
No. Small clutch purses, with or without a handle or strap, are permitted along with either the 12" by 6" by 12" clear tote bag or one-gallon freezer bag. This should enable guests to carry the same items they have in previous years and expedite entry into the venue.

Do I have to put everything I'm carrying into the permissible bags?
No. We are limiting only the type of bags carried into the venue, not permissible items that are brought to a game. Therefore, guests can carry in their pockets or jacket keys, makeup, feminine products, comb, phone, wallet, credit cards, etc., if they choose not to put them in a clear bag or clutch purse (4.5” x 6.5”). And they can carry a blanket over their arms, and binoculars and/or camera around their necks or in their hands without the case. Guests can use the clear bag and clutch to carry other items.

What about diaper bags?
Diapers and other baby supplies can be carried in a clear bag. Each member of a family, including children, would be allowed to carry an approved clear bag and a clutch purse into the venue.

I get the bag rule...someone could have a pipe bomb in a backpack for all we know. The SEAT stuff is just comical though and should be left alone. It's CLEARLY a money grab (again for those who already purchased seats) under the guise of public safety.

It's no more dangerous than a blanket. If I was truly evil, I could wrap someone up in a blanket and push them down the stairs...for example. I mean, come on. We going to ban blankets next? Or I could turn around and chuck my phone at Jimbo's face. Time to ban phones!

I don't understand why they are bumping that all in with the bag stuff. The bag stuff is normal at any landmark, etc. such as One World Trade Center. I took my fiance there for her birthday this summer and they were quite strict on bags, etc.