UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I have heard there are great views in the second deck. I wouldn't be opposed, I just figured the best sections would be down below. Thanks for the info!

I have football seats in 205 and they are terrific views.

Other than the fact that Am East is a lesser conference and the whole respect issue we deal with, can anyone explain the logic of how we're a #8 seed when we're ranked #4 and have a #3 RPi? I mean, how does the NCAA possibly justify it?

Our strength of schedule was pretty low I think. In the low 20s? That hurts. Top 20 and top 10 wins/losses. We had 1 top 20 win and 2 top 10 losses. I think both things think hurt us.

Other than the fact that Am East is a lesser conference and the whole respect issue we deal with, can anyone explain the logic of how we're a #8 seed when we're ranked #4 and have a #3 RPi? I mean, how does the NCAA possibly justify it?

Our strength of schedule was pretty low I think. In the low 20s? That hurts. Top 20 and top 10 wins/losses. We had 1 top 20 win and 2 top 10 losses. I think both things think hurt us.

Thanks- make senses, although i figured those both would have factored into final ranking and RPI. Guess it doesn't matter though—Win 4 games and that'll say it all.

The Division I Men's Lacrosse Committee employs criteria specified in NCAA Bylaws. When selecting teams for possible at-large berths, primary factors considered when reviewing teams' won-loss records and strength of schedule are (not in priority order) as follows:
Strength of Schedule Index based on the 10 highest-ranking opponents in RPI. Two games against the same opponent count as two contests.
Results of the RPI
Record against teams ranked 1-5, 6-10, 11-20, and 21+.
Average RPI win (average RPI of all wins)
Average RPI loss (average RPI of all losses)
Head-to-Head Competition
Results against common opponents
Significant wins (vs. teams ranked higher in RPI)
Significant losses (vs. teams ranked lower in RPI)
Locations of contests
Input is also provided by the Regional Advisory Committee. However, coaches' polls or other rankings are not used by the selection committee.
So I think the lack of top-10 wins has to be their main excuse, because even RPI is almost entirely dependent on SOS. Ours was probably high teens/low 20s

The purpose of seeds is so the expected top teams get to play in the finals, and not get knocked out by playing each other early. This is important in tennis where there's second-place prize money, you don't want Federer playing Nadal on the first Tuesday of a tournament. In lax the only thing at stake is bragging rights about "made the semis" and marketing to get the top teams into the final four. Once you have a home game, it's an even playing field for the last three games.

As '72 said..SoS and RPI are largely related. Use of both is often a way to reward power conference teams. You see it all the time..especially in college basketball. That being said..our SoS ended up much better than the narrative that started early/mid-season and just stuck on us. According to LaxPower..we finished #14 in SoS. 12th highest amongst NCAA tournament teams. Right in line with Penn State, Denver and Towson.

Also..we finished with 4 Top 20 RPI wins: Yale, UMass and Binghamton (x2).

I don't know...the bottom line for me is that UA has a golden opportunity, ranking or seeding be damned. Home game, possibly big crowd, defending national champs, national tv, U f'n NC, WIN and nothing matters. Lose and all of the doubters are right. One game to establish UA as a player with the big boys. Get it done and the rest is meaningless. Since I went to one game this year and we lost, I think I'll watch on tv and enjoy the mammoth crowd and the victory. Beer is cheaper and the walk to the bathroom is shorter...lol.

• Like 2

I vowed not to complain about the seeding; as coach said you have to win four games no matter what. But I will say:

We have the top offense in the country and have been so pretty much all year.

Our defense has been top five-seven all year. Our final goal differential [112], blows the rest of the country away, no one even in the same ballpark.

Top 3 most of the year face off, final #1.

Top 2 man down defense most of the year, final #1.

Offense, Defense, Special Teams top or nearly so all year. The ncaa supposedly looks @ the entire year and the entire body of work. Quint & Carcaterra of espn say the "eye" test is NOT part of the process, but SHOULD be. SOS is a big factor for the ncaa; but alum72 & others point out that sos is also include in rpi {double dipping if you will}. Not complaining, but the ncaa selection process (in my opinion) is not only biased but flawed.

If we got a Loyola, Air Force, or Towson, the ticket sales would be nowhere near where they are in my opinion. Are chances would be a lot better advancing to the quarterfinals, but this match up Saturday night is all the talk in the lacrosse world.

I knew Albany wasn't going to get a proper seeding when Towson was ranked ahead of Albany in preview poll from the NCAA.

I thought Albany would wind up a 6th or 7th. The AE just doesn't provide enough tough conference games, and when you win your championship game 20-8 instead of rewarding the dominant performance it just seems to reinforce how easy it is for the Danes.

Everyone seems to forget that two weeks earlier Binghamton was a final shot from taking Cuse to OT.

dslyank - I disagree with our seeding ( I felt we should be more like a #6) but the statistics you mentioned and their national rankings you mentioned are somewhat bogus as our strength of schedule was weak. If we had a few more top 10s on our schedule instead of AE foes our end of the season stats might not be so good. Remember the AE only had 2 teams with winning records.