UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

I try to be an honest poster as well as a fan. And God knows I have posted some negative things on here (Campbell's Offense) due to the extremely high expectations on this team this year.

However on a positive note, let's not act like Siena (pure dumpster fire). We won 20+games again and have at least 5 freshman next year that look pretty damn good. We have Cremo and hopefully Nichols back. We will be ok and have a chance to be a very good next year. At the Midmajor level that's all we can ask.

I agree. The future seems bright and while the conference season and tourney wasn't what we all wanted the season was a relative success. I like when the program puts a heavy focus on freshman and 4 year guys, and sprinkles a transfer or two. Our best teams have typically been when the nucleus and players we depend on the most are 4 year guys. This years team was partially in that mold with Cremo, Nichols, Store and Campbell, but after that it was pretty much all transfers or new faces.

Next year we will still have Joe, David and Devonte but we will have freshman backing them up mostly, which should help with long term success after Joe leaves. Keeps the pond stocked.

Great win by UMBC. What a shot! reminded me of Sorrentine splashing that three against Cuse. Lyles waived off the coaches play call and just did it himself. Great fight by UMBC, kept battling and hanging around. Couldn't seem to get the lead until it mattered most!

Lol UVM fans calling for Becker to be fired on the AE Board

What a bunch of ungrateful losers.

Every team in the America east with the exception of two would take Becker in a heart beat. When the expectations are as high as he has been able to maintain, sometimes there is no more room to go up. I would imagine they would be awfully sorry if he left.

• Like 1

That Odom guy has done quite a job at UMBC though. He won't be long for the AE if he keeps it up.

His dad is a legendary coach at Wake Forest. More than just a a guy haha.

I think he will be on a few teams radar for sure.

Edited by UA'08
  • Like 1

Lets be real here too, it is technically a postseason game as the season is over, but Alex Foster is most likely not disappointed in not being able to play in these. Road games he went to Kansas, Texas, etc sitting on the bench is more fun than playing in a 1k person filled gym in the CIT.

Interesting. Despite Foster's apparent "let's be real" belief that sitting on the bench for Tech is better..he transferred to Bradley and then UAlbany. Lyles at UMBC turned down high major interest. Hooley turned down grad transfer options. Players routinely decide to get significant minutes at mid-majors instead of being the third or fourth guy off the bench at a high-major school. Thousands of student-athletes play at DII and DIII schools..even though they play in front of just hundreds or *gasp* dozens of fans.

Given your posts..it's clear that you don't particularly like rooting for mid-majors..or FCS schools..etc..even when it's your alma mater. There are plenty of "real" programs out there that you can decide to root for.

Don't mean to be (too) snarky..but it really confuses me when we have "fans" that are more critical/defeatist of the program than even some of our biggest rivals. What's the point?

Edited by Phoenix

If Odom has any interest in moving up..now would be the time. Completely turned the team around in basically just one year..NCAA bid..and graduating Lyles, Maura and Grant. Return some decent pieces..but he's loses a lot of firepower this year. If he wants to stick around..I'm sure he'll be getting a nice extension and raise.

Edited by Phoenix

I'm relieved the team won't be playing post-season this year. Yes, I understand the now broken string of post-season appearances and the desire for some players to continue the season, but one factor decides this question for me. Last year's team had disappointment but fire at the end of the championship game. This team had no fire and was a big disappointment. I just don't see this team putting forth the necessary effort to challenge their opponent in any remaining game.

• Like 2

So... Anyone know who the AE reps will be in the 3 in 3 pro tourney?

Remember, the rules state that:

¤Each conference gets a 4 man team, and play 3 in 3. Players are their own coaches.

¤Each players team must no longer be playing on Final 4 weekend.

¤Players must have exhausted their college eligibility.

¤Only 1 player from a school

Players get paid for wins. College athletes getting paid to play...

I'm thinking: TBH, Lyles, and Thomas are the first 3. I thought Charles had a chance pre injury. Not so sure now. Because of size and athleticism, I could see Foster getting an invite.

Lets be real here too, it is technically a postseason game as the season is over, but Alex Foster is most likely not disappointed in not being able to play in these. Road games he went to Kansas, Texas, etc sitting on the bench is more fun than playing in a 1k person filled gym in the CIT.

Interesting. Despite Foster's apparent "let's be real" belief that sitting on the bench for Tech is better..he transferred to Bradley and then UAlbany. Lyles at UMBC turned down high major interest. Hooley turned down grad transfer options. Players routinely decide to get significant minutes at mid-majors instead of being the third or fourth guy off the bench at a high-major school. Thousands of student-athletes play at DII and DIII schools..even though they play in front of just hundreds or *gasp* dozens of fans.

Given your posts..it's clear that you don't particularly like rooting for mid-majors..or FCS schools..etc..even when it's your alma mater. There are plenty of "real" programs out there that you can decide to root for.

Don't mean to be (too) snarky..but it really confuses me when we have "fans" that are more critical/defeatist of the program than even some of our biggest rivals. What's the point?

Never said anything about not rooting for mid majors. I dont follow FCS or any college football at all, but it doesnt make me any less of a UA fan here than you or anyone else on the board. My point was these other tournaments are no where comparable to the real thing when we say postseason

A post on the AE forum regarding UVM's run of success got me thinking:

In 19 years (that this particular AE user was a season ticket holder), overall record of 409-208. Conference tournament record of 35-13.

7 regular season titles, 11 trips to the conference final. 6 NCAA trips, including 2 wins. 4 NITs. 4 CBIs, including 5 wins. 14 post season tournaments in the last 16 years.

Today was one of those days, but frankly, I wish every team I follow was even in the area code of this type of track record. Hope we can get our first ever NIT win this week.

IMO, UVM and UA are the ONLY two premier programs in the AE and have been for a very long time. Occasionally a team like SB or UMBC or Bing will make a tiny run but by and large, these two programs ARE the AE.

Since they've been D1 much longer (from what I understand, I don't quite know their whole history as a basketball program), to level set with UA I will reset both teams to 2001-2002 (our first year in the AE, not D1) for the comparison:

Since 2001-2002				UA	VT
Overall Record		 		283-254	381-179
Overall %				53%	68%
Conference Record			148-126	217-59
Conference %				54%	79%
Conference Tournament Record		19-12	32-11
Conference Tournament %			61%	74%
Head to Head Regular Season Record	14-29	29-14
Head to Head Tournament Record		5-2	2-5
Regular Season Titles			2	8*
Conference Title Game Appearances	6	11
Conference Title Game Record		5-1	6-5
Conference Title Game %			83%	55%
Conference Titles/NCAA Trips		5	6
NCAA Wins				1	2
NIT Appearances				0	3
NIT Wins				0	0
CBI Appearances				1	4
CBI Wins				0	5
CIT Appearances				2	0
CIT Wins				0	0
Post Season Appearances			8***	14**

* - Shared with Binghamton in 2008-2009		
** - Assuming they make one this year		
*** - Assuming we don't partake in a tournament this year		
Note: All data taken from Wikipedia

I did some more updating of my spreadsheet and going back to 1999-2000, our first year in D1 (but before we became affiliated with a conference), our record breakdown is as follows:

Since 1999-2000 (D1 Era to Present)				

Type		Home/Away	W	L	W/L %
OOC		Home		72	39	64.9%
		Away		60	106	36.1%
		Total		132	145	47.7%
Conference	Home		85	52	62.0%
		Away		63	76	45.3%
		Total		148	128	53.6%
AE Tournament	Home		10	3	76.9%
		Away		9	9	50.0%
		Total		19	12	61.3%
Post Season	Home		0	2	0.0%