UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

5 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I was referring to a specific game with the “care” comment. Probably it’s better to say “if you aren’t upset, I’m not going to be upset.” I’m sure he cares, he just didn’t care to get upset if they were not. 

Anyone who read the account of that incident know the context in which he did what he did. He had been screaming, pleading, pounding his fists... He tried letting a defending silence speak that time. 

Brown is many thing but not caring is not one of them... He's not everyone's cup of tea but let's be fair here. 

• Like 1

Brown isn't the issue. We are LUCKY to have him. I hope he stays as long as Ford did. But I hope, generally speaking, the university/AD continue to give him the tools to succeed (read: update SEFCU!). 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand CB and what drives him. I don't think incentives (money) drives him at all or he would have left. He continues to win games, qualify for post season play and make sure that he helps produce Student/athletes that represent UA well.

I don't think he has ever had an "if you don't care I don't care attitude".

This year he played WVU in an exhibition, scrimmaged Buffalo so he seeks competition and that's seemingly what drives him. When he got the job he made a commitment to consistently keep UA near the top of the AE,

I think he thought he had depth and redshirted the 3 Aussies (1 medical) and I think they might have helped but he tried to do what was best for them and the program. 

He's 67-33 over the last 3 (non NCAA) seasons and some fans think he's complacent that's a compliment to the program he took over where they were 19-57 in CB's first 2 1/2 seasons ( 1st year 7-13 taking over for Beeten).

Hey, disappointing season at 22-10 is a good sign!

Let's see if CB can get some bigs to add to with what we have. It seems like a lot of depth on the perimeter.

You're absolutely right, I don't know what drives CB. Hopefully he finds a way to get back to the tournament within the next couple of years. 

I am a Bball junkie when it comes to the first 4 days of NCAA tourney.  I have watched at least 30 of the games thru today.  Whether its a Power conference team or the mid-majors playing in the tourney, 2 things UA did not have all season are very apparent .  I know we have discussed these before but the lack of athleticism and lack of 3 point shooters for UA compared to tourney teams is glaring.   We have no big men who can run the floor.  High seeds like Loyola- Chicago, Buffalo,  even UMBC have them.  And so many tourney teams have 4 guys on the floor who can shoot the three.   We had Charles and Stire who never shoot any, Campbell who never should have shot any,  leaving Cremo and Nichols only.  Game is changing so CB has to change his recruiting to match the game.  The old grind it out, methodical offense may not work anymore to beat the top teams and quarterfinal AE losses will continue. Just my observation.

as a local guy and someone who loved that Cremo came to UA, giving him a pass this year and hammering Nichols is unfair.  Joe scored a lot yes but let's be honest.  He was a disaster late in games at times also...bad shots, many unforced turnovers, forced turnovers and someone who cant keep a guy in front of him...he was more of a first half star than anything this year sans a handful of games.  I expected way more from him this year, along with Nichols...with that said, I also agree any Brown bashing or wanting him to go is unwarranted...

Years ago we wished for 3 things win 20, beat Siena and get to the NCAAs. This season we achieved 2 and were disappointed, this is good, our main goal should be to make the NCAAs.

Over the past six years four different teams have made it to the Big Dance - SBU, UVM, UUMBC and UA. Keep in mind that of those four teams UA has been there 3 time and had a disappointing loss in the finals last season, not really a bad run.

Getting to the NCAAs isn't as easy as fans think. Just ask Warney or TBH, ask Piekell or Becker.

Fact - since UA's first .500+ season (13 years) 6 different teams have made the NCAAs UVM 3, UMBC 2, SB 1, BING 1, BOSTON U 1 and lowly UA 5

It's time for us to get back to the NCAAs!!

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, danstep said:

as a local guy and someone who loved that Cremo came to UA, giving him a pass this year and hammering Nichols is unfair.  Joe scored a lot yes but let's be honest.  He was a disaster late in games at times also...bad shots, many unforced turnovers, forced turnovers and someone who cant keep a guy in front of him...he was more of a first half star than anything this year sans a handful of games.  I expected way more from him this year, along with Nichols...with that said, I also agree any Brown bashing or wanting him to go is unwarranted...

He hasn't stepped up as a dominant leader of this team yet.  He's our superstar.  We need much more from him in his last year.

27 minutes ago, Patch said:

Years ago we wished for 3 things win 20, beat Siena and get to the NCAAs. This season we achieved 2 and were disappointed, this is good, our main goal should be to make the NCAAs.

Over the past six years four different teams have made it to the Big Dance - SBU, UVM, UUMBC and UA. Keep in mind that of those four teams UA has been there 3 time and had a disappointing loss in the finals last season, not really a bad run.

Getting to the NCAAs isn't as easy as fans think. Just ask Warney or TBH, ask Piekell or Becker.

Fact - since UA's first .500+ season (13 years) 6 different teams have made the NCAAs UVM 3, UMBC 2, SB 1, BING 1, BOSTON U 1 and lowly UA 5

It's time for us to get back to the NCAAs!!

So, you're not calling for the firing of Will?

Last three years...  One AE final loss.  Two quarterfinal losses.

This year.  A chaotic mess.  No leadership.  No determination.  No fire.  If Nichols brought the ball up any slower....  

We all know only one of the nine AE teams make it into the tournament.  Not easy to do.

Too bad we'll be stuck in the AE forever.  Anyone know the long term goals Benson has for the university?  What about the AE conference, what are its goals, besides the respect and you can play pom pom cheers? 

On 3/17/2018 at 1:11 AM, scrabbleship said:

Lacrosse being #1 is nice and all but I would gladly trade it for being in the shoes UMBC is in right now 

Hell no.  I want a National Championship!

Now what for umbc?  They lose Lyles and Maura and probably their coach.  What exactly has the win done for them?

I agree with Dane Pound..this thread is absolutely insane.

First..if you watched UMBC's upset Friday night and thought anything other than "this is f*****g awesome!" then there's a problem. Unless you're a Virginia fan..of course. Do I wish that was UAlbany instead of UMBC..yes! Does that make it any less amazing and exciting..no! Am I especially proud it was an America East team..yes!

Second..our team had a very good season. 22 wins is something a lot of programs only dream of. Was it a great season..no. Especially compared to the justifiably high expectations we had. And was it more up and down than we're used to from UAlbany teams..yes. Starting off with a great OOC..then a good AE season..and a quarterfinal loss..is more deflating then the other way around. But it doesn't change the fact that this was another very good season.

Third..Nichols had a good season. Great? No. Especially compared to the lofty expectations following his sophomore year..which was one of the best individual offensive seasons in UAlbany DI history. When he played well..we often won. We he played poorly..we often loss. Considering the team won nearly 70% of their games this year..that we seem to be a pretty decent result.

Fourth..any souring on Coach Brown despite his team's production on and off the court year in and year out is completely bonkers. Unless he starts putting up losing records multiple years in a row..he's earned the right to stay here as long as he wants. And I hope he's here a long long time!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, uofalbany said:

Hell no.  I want a National Championship!

Now what for umbc?  They lose Lyles and Maura and probably their coach.  What exactly has the win done for them?

90k more followers on twitter. REAL national media attention. Naming rights for their new arena up for grabs. Will always be mentioned every NCAA tournament. Better recruits. Under Amour will probably now pay them to outfit their whole Athletic department instead of the other way around.

It's done a lot.

• Like 1

IMHO. Joe is very intense, very hard on himself, and at the same time extremely caring and considerate of others. I am not sure he has the make-up to be "THE LEADER."  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the kid, and his work effort and attitude make everyone on the team better. He is UNSELFISH to a fault and in my opinion sometimes the reason for some of his "errors" on the court. But, I do not think it is in his nature to call his team mates out when they are not performing/hustling/playing/trying. Other thoughts certainly welcomed?

Edited by dslyank