UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

3 hours ago, ZLK said:

*had*...carry on. We do COA now? What would make a recruit want to attend Albany over other AE programs other than the fact that we win?

Mmmmm...even with COLA...no way we are in the bottom half.  COLA is what, 3k a student?  

Now, if you are talking salaries of staff...different story.  Completely underpaid.

Base expenditures, top half of league.  

I've been completely underwhelmed by the Athletic Department expenditures, particularly on the operations front.  Way too much corporate waste that should be spent on the program itself.

The ADept needs to stop d@cking around with font changes on jerseys and failed marketing...YES...FAILED.  Attendance is a disaster, in general, for all sports but lax.  

Put the money in the product...not ushers.  We need SEFCU fixed...and we need the basketball operations budget juiced up to keep the Danes in the 1-2 spot in the league for per player expenses.  

So, I don't disagree with your premises...just not that failing to provide COLA has put us in the bottom half of the league.  We spend nearly 1.9 million on hoops.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, ZLK said:

For sure. Show you're a competent program that has the ability to get a player to the dance during his time there. Albany's sales pitch is what they've been able to do on the court. To think there's anything special that differentiates the program without the staff and the players they've been able to bring in doesn't compute for me. You can sell the university and post grad connections (which are good), but it's not anything our rivals are unable to offer.

You don't increase the budget and you're playing with fire. You take this current staff out and don't increase the budget and you're burning to the ground everything that has been built over the past 15 years. Not saying it's fair or that the school even has the money to do it, that's just the reality.

This. 

People are clamoring for us to move into the CAA have absolutely ZERO idea on how tenuous the entire athletic budget is right now.  The ADept is bleeding...badly.  I'm actually shocked that we still have a baseball program.

All I got out of that article is that less than 15% of the athletics budget is spent on our two most recognizable (historically) and successful programs (MBB/WBB). 8.24% is spent on a men's basketball program that is the only reason most sports fans throughout the country even know Albany has D1 sports. Albany went all in on FCS football so it's inevitable that the less popular men's sports will end up suffering or being eliminated. That's just the reality when you look at the size of a football roster and the programs/scholarships that need to be equaled on the women's side.

Football isn't going anywhere and it shouldn't, I hope we end up successful one day. I'm happy men's lax is doing so well and I hope it continues to do so. Just don't tell me the school doesn't have the money to properly support the two programs that should matter the most to the university.

33 minutes ago, ZLK said:

All I got out of that article is that less than 15% of the athletics budget is spent on our two most recognizable (historically) and successful programs (MBB/WBB). 8.24% is spent on a men's basketball program that is the only reason most sports fans throughout the country even know Albany has D1 sports. Albany went all in on FCS football so it's inevitable that the less popular men's sports will end up suffering or being eliminated. That's just the reality when you look at the size of a football roster and the programs/scholarships that need to be equaled on the women's side.

Football isn't going anywhere and it shouldn't, I hope we end up successful one day. I'm happy men's lax is doing so well and I hope it continues to do so. Just don't tell me the school doesn't have the money to properly support the two programs that should matter the most to the university.

agree, the article doesn't say much.  My comments are based on what i've been told by many close to the ADept and the school.  

You and I are, I think, on the same page.  Lot's of crossed concepts across the board in the many posts but, I'd like to state the following:

1. The fact that our men's and woman's basketball programs have not given out COLA is a joke.  Absolute disgrace.  Recruits look at the whole package and, frankly, COLA is a part of it.  We are talking 60-90k a year...max...combined.  It shouldn't come to this...but that's a guarantee game.  AD Benson needs to release those funds now because WE ARE falling behind the times.

2. Right now, we are somewhat getting (what I believe to be) a "hometown" discount for our assistant salaries.  We have UA Alumni across the board on the men's side.  This what makes the COLA situation all the more infuriating to me.  Try getting solid assistants on the open market for the pool we have.  Even another small increase would be nice.

3. SEFCU was built for DIII basketball.  I should know, I was recruited with that building in mind.  Is it a dump compared to many low-majors: NO.  But with the Cross Center, UMBC's place, UVMs soon to be place (even if 4 years off), SBU's place, etc...we are falling to the back of the back.  Sure, the scoreboard was nice...but the arena/lockerrooms need a major gut facelift.

4. Naming rights- LONG OVERDUE for SEFCU

5. Moving to a new conference: Pipe dream right now.  We'd have to fly if we moved to the CAA.   Heck, people clamor for a MAC move.  Our football program is mid-pack in FCS budgets.  Yep, 4 million is middle of the pack.  Moving up the CAA for all sports moves our budget up at least 30% (to 28 million) if we are slumming it.  Moving up to the MAC?  Try adding $10 million to be truly competitive.

So, in the end...until we see some major donations, including the endowment of scholarships, we are cash strapped.  We are at the right level (AE/CAA) but we absolutely need to give more money to basketball and, to some extent, football.

Start with COLA for basketball.

• Like 3

What is badly needed is a sefcu renovation, cola and other ancillary funding like summer school sessions... The first two are obviously a huge deal. Ua is one of only two schools not offering cola. Everyone else does and I belive a significant issue on the recruit trail. This must be addressed... Cancel stupid oneonta and take an additional money game. That alone would pay for woman and men cola. 

3 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

agree, the article doesn't say much.  My comments are based on what i've been told by many close to the ADept and the school.  

You and I are, I think, on the same page.  Lot's of crossed concepts across the board in the many posts but, I'd like to state the following:

1. The fact that our men's and woman's basketball programs have not given out COLA is a joke.  Absolute disgrace.  Recruits look at the whole package and, frankly, COLA is a part of it.  We are talking 60-90k a year...max...combined.  It shouldn't come to this...but that's a guarantee game.  AD Benson needs to release those funds now because WE ARE falling behind the times.

2. Right now, we are somewhat getting (what I believe to be) a "hometown" discount for our assistant salaries.  We have UA Alumni across the board on the men's side.  This what makes the COLA situation all the more infuriating to me.  Try getting solid assistants on the open market for the pool we have.  Even another small increase would be nice.

3. SEFCU was built for DIII basketball.  I should know, I was recruited with that building in mind.  Is it a dump compared to many low-majors: NO.  But with the Cross Center, UMBC's place, UVMs soon to be place (even if 4 years off), SBU's place, etc...we are falling to the back of the back.  Sure, the scoreboard was nice...but the arena/lockerrooms need a major gut facelift.

4. Naming rights- LONG OVERDUE for SEFCU

5. Moving to a new conference: Pipe dream right now.  We'd have to fly if we moved to the CAA.   Heck, people clamor for a MAC move.  Our football program is mid-pack in FCS budgets.  Yep, 4 million is middle of the pack.  Moving up the CAA for all sports moves our budget up at least 30% (to 28 million) if we are slumming it.  Moving up to the MAC?  Try adding $10 million to be truly competitive.

So, in the end...until we see some major donations, including the endowment of scholarships, we are cash strapped.  We are at the right level (AE/CAA) but we absolutely need to give more money to basketball and, to some extent, football.

Start with COLA for basketball.

Nailed it! Why is Benson sitting on naming rights? And cola is $2kx26 students... Men and woman. That amounts to a bit over 50k. Take a stupid money game and offer cola. Drop stupid useless oneonta. 

Edited by Clickclack

2 hours ago, MRSGDG said:

It's nothing something I "speak of". GDAC donation dollars are all "unrestricted" meaning they can be used for anything athletics wants to use them for, ie: a slush fund. If you donate to Athletics and designate it to something, it doesn't count as a GDAC donation.

As for your question about attendance and GDAC, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking....

Are there any available numbers regarding donations? Is gdac participating growing at all? 

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

For the uninitiated...what is COLA? Google just keeps showing me a soda.

Cost of living adjustment or stipend. Basically means over the course of a season 2k in cash to cash strapped college students who don't hold jobs as basketball takes up so much time with travel and practice. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I am probably wrong; but I thought the ncaa only approved COLA for the big 5 conferences?? You seem to be saying other mid majors, including AmEast, even $iena are offering COLA???????

True...nothing prevents other conferences from offering it as well. The decisions are conference based and then school based. Conference decides to approve a COLA and then each individual school can chose how much to offer students. My understanding that it is subject to Title IX but no across the athletic department. If UA chose to give out stipends to the men's basketball program, they would need to do the same for woman's program. 

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/article86062792.html

Edited by Clickclack

Cola was approved for all conferences.  The America east has only approved it for hoops.  Albany is one of two schools not offering cola. 

And clack, unless the rules have changed students aren’t cash strapped solely because of time constraints stopping hem from working.  There are NCAA rules on what jobs they are allowed to have...pretty restrictive ones to stop booster activities.  That part may have changed.   I’m not sure.  But your point remains. 

Not having COLA is a joke for UA..

1 minute ago, Dane96 said:

Cola was approved for all conferences.  The America east has only approved it for hoops.  Albany is one of two schools not offering cola. 

And clack, unless the rules have changed students aren’t cash strapped solely because of time constraints stopping hem from working.  There are NCAA rules on what jobs they are allowed to have...pretty restrictive ones to stop booster activities.  That part may have changed.   I’m not sure.  But your point remains. 

Not having COLA is a joke for UA..

You are absolutely correct...based on my understanding student athletes from high profile sports such as basketball and football especially were closely monitored. Case in point, I believe years ago Oklahoma (St?) football players were "working" for a dealership, it turns it it was a front to simply funnel money to the kids who never even showed up. So you are correct.