UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Albany Lacrosse Schedule

I'm going to say an even greater accomplishment than the men's bball team making the tournament. There is just so much more institutional bias in lacrosse with the old guards, and many felt that Lyle, Miles, and Ty were a flash in the pan period for Albany lacrosse.

Now what to we do with it?

I am just so proud of what the coaching staff present and past have done, and to all of the players who have paved the way. This isn't just about the current cast of characters.

I started following a guy on twitter, laxfilmroom, and saw a back and forth he was having with a few people about Albany. It was pretty interesting trying to understand the current success when pretty much everyone takes a dump on the school and the players the coaching staff brings in.

I saw one guy had gone back and in recent history Albany has never had a top twenty recruiting class!

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

Now what to we do with it?

Get to a final four finally. Itll always be hard to compete with the blue bloods of lacrosse for recruits no matter what. Its simply the academic factor. Why would an outstanding lacrosse player pass up an eduacation at Duke or Notre Dame to play at Albany?

Facilities help with recruits too. Showing a full Casey stadium for most home games would give us a leg up on a recruit. Wish we could remove tbe football lines for lax games so it's easier to follow the ball. But, as usual, the students don't come out to fill it, ex. UNC playoff game (rain may have been an issue). John Fallon Field is nice for a midweek game vs Umass-Lowell but a recruit will not be impressed playing all his games there for 4 years or bouncing back and forth between fields. An idea, don't spend all that money on replacing turf etc at Fallon, just buy a second turf for Casey without football lines and put in right after football season and switch back in summer.

Not to a negative Nancy, but isn’t there some expectation that when a donor makes a big enough donation to have a stadium named after them, that the games, or at least the bulk of the games will be played there? I don’t have any inside info or knowledge of Fallon, but am curious how that all plays out.

I'm going to say an even greater accomplishment than the men's bball team making the tournament.

I would agree with this. Outside of the powerhouse programs, the majority of D1 schools have never held the number 1 ranking in any sport throughout their history. This is a big deal and I hope the program gets some well deserved national coverage.

I saw these so far:

https://www.foxsports.com/other/story/a-first-for-suny-2-no-1-teams-in-division-i-lacrosse-022618

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/lacrosse-blog/bs-sp-albany-mens-lacrosse-crowned-as-new-no-1-story.html

• Like 1

On the subject of John Fallon Field, I find it very interesting that they are playing so many games at Casey (before the renovation at JFF). When I played at UA from 2007-2010 the stipulations were that the football team was ABSOLUTELY not permitted to set foot on JFF as it was designated by JFF himself.

I know if I gave millions to have a stadium named after me, I would expect the games to be played on it and if it falls behind the times, UA either spend the money to upgrade or come to me and see if I will put up more money.

I ave no inside info on this.

Let's get back to the real story here. In all my years of following lacrosse I don't remember any team being up 16-2 at half. Probably the best 2 weeks in Albany lacrosse history. I hate Inside Lacrosse but I have to admit I bought one of those "Dane Train" tees. I want to see UA break the goals and differential records this year. But mostly, I want to see them make the final 4...... I would put money on it happening, so long as they dont run into Baptiste in the quarters.

Lets clarify a few things: 1) He gave an incredible gift but it was not millions. It was $500k, if I recall correctly. 2) He banned football because of a grudge against Ford for cutting him. Think about that one. Sure, no person is perfect but I dont think I've ever met a single person who has been that upset with FORD.

They should take some funding and put it towards making Fallon Field into Fallon Field at xxxxx Indoor Performance Center. The ROI would Be outstanding. We would be able to practice indoors during inclement weather for all teams, and since its a full-size lacrosse field...We can host indoor games there for UA teams when the weather is really inclement much like Notre Dame does, and in addition we can host high school events for lacrosse, soccer and other field sports under a bubble...and local youth clubs. Such hosting would improve town down relationships or, alternatively, would be a revenue stream for the university.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 4

Those numbers sound right. I think it was a gift in the $500,000 to $1,000,000, and a very generous gift. That being said, Fallon Field in its current form isn't a venue that can compete with what is going on in college lacrosse. I have heard others ask the question what does the athletic department do to capitalize on the success of the lacrosse program?

Does anyone know if there is a capital campaign underway? I saw a stat not too long ago somewhere, and it showed the unrestricted giving to UA and it wasn't great.

2017-CAPITAL-CHALLENGE-MAP.png

Level out the ground and put the entrance on the North side, with offices (two levels), bathrooms and concessions...tight wall lines on East, West, and South sides...however you can keep the footprint on the West side for stands and then put in 1500-2000 seats on that side, permanent chair backs.

Done and Done...and then your three largest projects left would be the endzone facility at Bob Ford Field, SEFCU renovation, and an indoor track facility. This would give Field Hockey and Lacrosse their own offices and facilities, same with soccer.

Too easy...

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1