UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Albany Lacrosse Schedule

Coach Marr brought it up to us in one of our meetings with him why is son isn't at Albany, and it was basically that it would be a lose, lose for everyone involved. I think he said he spoke with Desko about the time at Cuse when his son was also a player, and Desko said if he had to do it over again he would advise not to have your son play on your team.

I think that is why Hopkins is no longer on the schedule while his son is a player there.

Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this"

Academically, a student will learn and get from a university what they work at getting out of the school. The difference academically stems from the quality of student, making more advanced classes more demanded and thus offered, and reputation. Syracuse isn't better academically than UA, but because it is a nationally known name it's degrees might be worth more.

Yale might not teach you more things, but because it has a history of higher quality students, it's academic reputation is better.

"Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this" Really - Got a couple undergraduate degrees and 149 Graduate hours at Albany - NEVER hear a professor say anything even resembling that type of comment!! Sorry. If that is true then they need to go and be replaced by someone else.

High quality students - mostly "Liberal" arts students - High quality is translated by some as Wealthy who can afford to pay - or a few 100 given scholarships each year because they score really high on the SAT's so they can keep their rep alive. The SAT's are a joke today compared to 40-50 years ago, just sayin' .

If you didn't catch it, my post was humor.

I was saying that the academics at each university is the same for the student that works for it. There is no "I can't teach you that". The difference is the percentage of high achieving students that attend a school allowing that school to offer more advanced classes and research, along with the percentage of high achieving alumni that support the university and add value through hiring with alumni networks and donations improving the reputation of school.

The other side of it is the name recognition of school. I do not think Syracuse is superior to UA academically in anyway shape or form. That said, a recruiter from California might recognize the Syracuse name because of athletic success and thus give preference for an interview from a candidate from that school. I have shared a true story on this board multiple times on when I was looking for a new job back in 06 and the response my resume received before and after the UConn game that year.

The sad part is, in the capital district a $iena diploma is worth more than a UA one in the business community. Why? Because most UA kids go back to NYC or travel the country. $iena alum typically stay in the area. There are a surprising number of $iena alum in leadership positions in businesses all over the capital district that like to hire $iena kids. It sucks, but it is a fact. I live it every day in the business community. It's why I have a BEAT $IENA shirt hanging on my wall in my office. Acedmically $iena is $iena. My brother went there. UA kicks its @ss, but around here one is worth more than the other if you want a top job. Go to Atlanta and I bet 99 out of 100 have never heard of $iena.

I love UA and donate to the school every year. If my kid can go play at Duke, Notre Dame or any IVY on a full ride Im sending them there. Those articles are not going to mention academics because why would Marr publicly say that when he still has to recruit. I cant believe this is even a debate lol. Name recognition helps a ton when you are right out of college.

Siena is crap and that name shouldnt even being in this conversation right now.

Edited by UA'08

Pardon the unitiated but I just caught a clip of the women's lacrosse team on UA's FB page.

Q: Why do the women play with no gloves/helmets like the men? Not just UA but most teams it looks like.

More of a curiosity than anything.

Rules are so different its hardly the same game. Very strict rules on contact, high sticks, something called shooting space (defender cant move in front of attacker in the shooting area) so only the goalie has a helmet. I also dont know why some face offs are side by side and some facing each other.

Apologies to anyone who is a fan, but curling is a more exciting sport than women's lax. You'll also notice that the goal scorer immediately tosses their stick to the ground so that the ref can make sure it's legal.

Jimbo I am LMAO - actually laughed out loud. What's wrong with curling. I actually watch it on channel 44 [local cable TV] during the season!!!

• Like 1

Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this"

Academically, a student will learn and get from a university what they work at getting out of the school. The difference academically stems from the quality of student, making more advanced classes more demanded and thus offered, and reputation. Syracuse isn't better academically than UA, but because it is a nationally known name it's degrees might be worth more.

Yale might not teach you more things, but because it has a history of higher quality students, it's academic reputation is better.

"Professors stand in front of the classroom at UA and say "nope. I can't teach you that." "gotta skip this lesson" "you'd have to go to Harvard if you wanted to learn this" Really - Got a couple undergraduate degrees and 149 Graduate hours at Albany - NEVER hear a professor say anything even resembling that type of comment!! Sorry. If that is true then they need to go and be replaced by someone else.

High quality students - mostly "Liberal" arts students - High quality is translated by some as Wealthy who can afford to pay - or a few 100 given scholarships each year because they score really high on the SAT's so they can keep their rep alive. The SAT's are a joke today compared to 40-50 years ago, just sayin' .

I was saying that the academics at each university is the same for the student that works for it. There is no "I can't teach you that". The difference is the percentage of high achieving students that attend a school allowing that school to offer more advanced classes and research, along with the percentage of high achieving alumni that support the university and add value through hiring with alumni networks and donations improving the reputation of school.

The other side of it is the name recognition of school. I do not think Syracuse is superior to UA academically in anyway shape or form. That said, a recruiter from California might recognize the Syracuse name because of athletic success and thus give preference for an interview from a candidate from that school. I have shared a true story on this board multiple times on when I was looking for a new job back in 06 and the response my resume received before and after the UConn game that year.

The sad part is, in the capital district a $iena diploma is worth more than a UA one in the business community. Why? Because most UA kids go back to NYC or travel the country. $iena alum typically stay in the area. There are a surprising number of $iena alum in leadership positions in businesses all over the capital district that like to hire $iena kids. It sucks, but it is a fact. I live it every day in the business community. It's why I have a BEAT $IENA shirt hanging on my wall in my office. Acedmically $iena is $iena. My brother went there. UA kicks its @ss, but around here one is worth more than the other if you want a top job. Go to Atlanta and I bet 99 out of 100 have never heard of $iena.

Well thought out and stated. UA Business School is far superior to Syracuse. By the way I have a young friend who went to RPI for the MBA weekend program - not sure what the title of the program is. He said it was one of the worse programs he had ever taken and he should have taken the UA one - based on what others told him it was a far superior program and less expensive. He thought the name recognition from the RPI MBA would be better but has since found out it is not.

Sorry I missed the humor. WiIl try to get it next time. My bad.

Pardon the unitiated but I just caught a clip of the women's lacrosse team on UA's FB page.

Q: Why do the women play with no gloves/helmets like the men? Not just UA but most teams it looks like.

Rules are so different its hardly the same game. Very strict rules on contact, high sticks, something called shooting space (defender cant move in front of attacker in the shooting area) so only the goalie has a helmet. I also dont know why some face offs are side by side and some facing each other.

Why I don't enjoy watching women's lacrosse. It'll drive ya nuts.

As for the men's program. let's remember that we brought back almost everyone from last year.

And we were stout last year. Bring in the number one recruit in the country, I have high expectations for this year.

Well above and beyond only winning a quarterfinal game.

Apologies to anyone who is a fan, but curling is a more exciting sport than women's lax. You'll also notice that the goal scorer immediately tosses their stick to the ground so that the ref can make sure it's legal.

I've curled. It is an awesome sport! Is there NCAA curling ... ?

What the ncaa did to help Denver is just short of a crime. Basically stole a coach and a recruiting class or two from Princeton {Princeton has never been the same since.} Helped Denver with travel and scheduling. I am not sure who else Hof is referring to in the ncaa's quest to expand lacrosse westward, but I am not surprised. I am pretty sure Albany never got any of this DI help growth. But I can tell you one eastern school who has and continues to get ncaa help. hopkins is "grandfathered" against the rule that requires schools to play D1 sports in ALL sports that they choose to offer. The rule was initiated so a school would NOT have a competitive advantage by spending all their resources on one sport, thus building a power house. When the rule was put in place (I forgot what year) schools with mixed levels of D1, D11,D111 were given x # of years to comply all teams to one level. When x years past hopkins led a fight (along with a number of hockey schools RPI & I believe Denver [who did ultimately raise all it teams.] to have the grandfather clause made permanent. What I believed happened it was agreed to extend the clause and review again in y years. Since most teams did eventually comply with the ALL D1 or nothing rule, the ncaa seems to have never reopened the "grandfather" issue, allowing a small # of teams {something like 5 or 6 teams total [mostly in hockey} to continue to compete in a single D1 sport. hopkins being the only lacrosse school still D1 only. Besides allowing them to spend ALL/most of their athletic resources on ONE sport, Title IX issues were also circumvented in allowing this grandfather clause to exist in perpetuity. I may have some of my facts wrong, but I assure you the basics of this rant are true.

ps. I am pretty sure academics had nothing to do with Marr's son going to hopkins.

That is what I was referring too. Schools getting help avoiding the title 9 rules by not having to have all sports at the same level as is a requirement. Outrageous. It helps Union College and RPI locally. Hey if you want to continue to play with the big boys do so. If not then don't!! Totally not equitable. Helps them spend a lot more money on that one sport. Hopkins on Lacrosse is a perfect example!!!

I've curled. It is an awesome sport! Is there NCAA curling ... ?

No idea whatever. I just like watching it. I'm weird I guess!

Jimbo I am LMAO - actually laughed out loud. What's wrong with curling. I actually watch it on channel 44 [local cable TV] during the season!!![/quote

Oh, nothing at all. I enjoy curling. Some folks do make fun of it though. I always pictured it getting invented by some hammered Scottish guy out ice fishing who turned his friend and said “ hold my beer...let me see if I can hit Angus with is this rock here.” Plus, have you seen some of the women’s Olympic teams?? No problem with curling in my life. It’s basically bocce with large rocks and ice. Except you need two hands so you gotta set your beer down.

Sorry I missed the humor. WiIl try to get it next time. My bad.

It is actually a quote from a comedian. I want to say it was George Carlin, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Very funny statement about a teacher standing in front of the class reading from a book, and having to stop because he can't teach you that. You would have to go to Harvard to learn that. I wish I could find the bit. I actually quote it a lot and it would probably be nice to remember where it came from. I guess had I gone to Yale or Hopkins instead of UA I would remember because of their "superior" academics. LOL

What the ncaa did to help Denver is just short of a crime. Basically stole a coach and a recruiting class or two from Princeton {Princeton has never been the same since.} Helped Denver with travel and scheduling. I am not sure who else Hof is referring to in the ncaa's quest to expand lacrosse westward, but I am not surprised. I am pretty sure Albany never got any of this DI help growth. But I can tell you one eastern school who has and continues to get ncaa help. hopkins is "grandfathered" against the rule that requires schools to play D1 sports in ALL sports that they choose to offer. The rule was initiated so a school would NOT have a competitive advantage by spending all their resources on one sport, thus building a power house. When the rule was put in place (I forgot what year) schools with mixed levels of D1, D11,D111 were given x # of years to comply all teams to one level. When x years past hopkins led a fight (along with a number of hockey schools RPI & I believe Denver [who did ultimately raise all it teams.] to have the grandfather clause made permanent. What I believed happened it was agreed to extend the clause and review again in y years. Since most teams did eventually comply with the ALL D1 or nothing rule, the ncaa seems to have never reopened the "grandfather" issue, allowing a small # of teams {something like 5 or 6 teams total [mostly in hockey} to continue to compete in a single D1 sport. hopkins being the only lacrosse school still D1 only. Besides allowing them to spend ALL/most of their athletic resources on ONE sport, Title IX issues were also circumvented in allowing this grandfather clause to exist in perpetuity. I may have some of my facts wrong, but I assure you the basics of this rant are true.

ps. I am pretty sure academics had nothing to do with Marr's son going to hopkins.

That is what I was referring too. Schools getting help avoiding the title 9 rules by not having to have all sports at the same level as is a requirement. Outrageous. It helps Union College and RPI locally. Hey if you want to continue to play with the big boys do so. If not then don't!! Totally not equitable. Helps them spend a lot more money on that one sport. Hopkins on Lacrosse is a perfect example!!!

Growing up in upstate NY - I believe both Clarkson and St. Lawrence got waivers as well. Both are high level D1 Hockey programs and D3 for all other sports.