UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Albany Lacrosse Schedule

1. I am shocked that the gift by John Fallon was only 250-500K. Not saying that is chump change, but that is not a lot of money as far as bequests to universities go. I always assumed (wrongly) that he had given 5-10mil. Well that definitely changes my outlook. I don't think 500k buys you perpetuity naming and location rights to a D1 lax program.

2. I wish someone would step up with that 5mil donation that would allow JFF to become "JFF at JPompo6 Field house." I could be wrong but I think that a lacrosse specific field house would be the first one ever, though I am sure other sports would get access to it. Even if that is the case, We would probably be the athletic program with the lowest overall profile to have a facility of that quality -- which isn't a bad thing, we can't help who we are, but we can be proud of it!

3.Reason #768 why a field house would be worth the investment -- tomorrow's game. It could have been played in perfect conditions in front of 1,000 of UA's most loyal fans. We went out to Notre Dame when I was a Freshman and played in their field house and I recall they had a significant home field advantage due to the crowd being on top of you, the field not being full size, strange lighting, several different line patterns that were really confusing. We could have a few of those home field advantages while ditching the confusing lines and short field. We lost that game 7-6 and was part of what we endearingly refer to as "The best team to ever start 0-5" We opened with a close loss @ #1 Hopkins, then 7-6 @ #6 ND, followed by 8-7 in 3OT @ #9 UDel, another loss 9-8 @ #12 UMass, and a fifth loss 7-6 @ #14 Drexel. We finally won our first game of the year by playing our first home game of the season #11 Princeton and beating the pulp out of them 10-2. That was the last time PU game to the Capital Region. To cap off this trip down memory lane I recall we hit our high water mark for the season when we were up 11-2 at halftime of the AE Championship vs #6 UMBC and then promptly hit our low mark by squandering that huge lead and losing 14-13. The game isn't over until it's over!

4. Now that I have rambled on about my glory days...... I commend Scotty for taking out all of the starters to start the second half vs. Drexel... there was nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing them. We don't need to embarrass teams to the point it becomes unsportsmanlike (not saying we've come even close to that point) and more importantly, the biggest thing standing in the way of us getting to the final 4 IMO is injury. These cold games in February and March are really hard on the body and I would hate to see such a promising season go up in flames due to injury(ies).

5. I am very much looking forward to watching the Maryland game... over ... and over... as they most likely possess the greatest probability of being able to at least disrupt T.D.'s domination at faceoff. I NEED to see how our Danes perform under pressure. I am sure they will do great, just as they did in the first half of the Syracuse game, but I can't help but think about those college basketball teams like Wichita State a couple years ago that blew the barn doors off every team they played in the regular season and carried a top ranking with them most of the way too, but in the end they fell just short of their goal mostly because they just didn't play as many minutes of intense pressure basketball as a few of the other great teams did. My only anecdotal personal evidence of this is when I was at West Genny and we rolled all season to 22-0 and #1 national ranking, never trailing in a single game all season with the likes of John Galloway, Tim Desko, Luke Cometti, Ryan Barber, and 10+ other D1 players.... when we got to the state title game against #3 in the USA West Islip, we found ourselves down 3-1 at the end of the 1st quarter and in the huddle you would have thought it was 20-0. We hadn't faced and battled through adversity so we didn't have any composure. We forced a few passes, tried to do a little too much 1-1 and without much affair we were down 5-1 and had no answers on either side of the field. We lost that game 7-3. What drives the point home further is the year prior we played the same West Islip team only they were #1 and undefeated and we were 16-5 (the most regular season losses by a Genny team ever at that point) and because we had dealt with so much adversity we were able to fight and scrape and ended up falling just short 7-6.

Anyway - there are my thoughts. A little too much about the good ole days but I thought they were relevant and maybe at least someone was a little entertained.

P.S. Ryan Smith from West Genny is gonna be a Puppy for the Danes come Fall '18 and I think he has the potential to become another UA 2 way middie. It's also coach Messere's final year coaching at Genny and they have a really good team. It's been a while since WG has won a NY State Championship... Maybe all the planets will align for me and WG and the Danes both go out on top...

I happen to know that a guy I played FB with donated at LEAST that much to build the stadium - before the Casey's gave their 10 Mil gift.

That doesn't shock me one bit. With all respect to the Casey's (& I mean that literally) it is too bad UA didn't build in some way to show appreciation to all those "little guys" that help fund capital projects and general operations. The Casey's deserve to have the stadium named after them, but what about a "hall of faces" that show a photo, name, and maybe even a short bio of all contributors over say $10,000 and then a plaque with a listing of everyone else who contributed something as part of the "2020" campaign that seemed to go on for 20 years. I could be wrong but if there is anything of the sort on campus or in the stadium I have surely missed it.

Tell your teammate "thanks" for me for helping transform the UA campus

There is a plaque.

May not want any more publicity than that. Not local. If I win the Powerball I will help finish the stadium.

Edited by HOF2013

Oh good to know. I live in Syracuse and I'm a CPA, so unfortunately until April 15th, my ability to watch the Dane's in person is limited to when they come to the Dome. I watch all their games on the stream though and I do thank the good lord every night that they switched to GoogleCast. The product is legitimately 10x better. I happen to like no commentators as well. Keeps me focused on the action and since Eaman McAnaney left to go do Sportsnite there are only a few commentators I enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

Was just checking out the remaining schedule and noticed a strange quirk.  We play UMBC on Sat Apr 7th and then we don't play till Fri Apr 20th vs Bing, 13 days off.  Guess Marr could not find anyone to play us with other conference games going on.  Rest is nice but could get us off a roll if still undefeated.  Other issue is that 2 days later, Sun Apr 22 is the Yale game on the road.  Not the best scheduling.

6 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Was just checking out the remaining schedule and noticed a strange quirk.  We play UMBC on Sat Apr 7th and then we don't play till Fri Apr 20th vs Bing, 13 days off.  Guess Marr could not find anyone to play us with other conference games going on.  Rest is nice but could get us off a roll if still undefeated.  Other issue is that 2 days later, Sun Apr 22 is the Yale game on the road.  Not the best scheduling.

He said a couple of times that we could not get anyone to play us!!  Not good I agree.

Edited by HOF2013

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

He said a couple of times that we could not get anyone to lay us!!  Not good I agree.

I would think players on the #1 team in the country woudn't have that problem. Hey yo!

Oh you mean play.

Edited by godanesgo99

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I would think players on the #1 team in the country woudn't have that problem. Hey yo!

Oh you mean play.

Come on!! Oops!

On 3/21/2018 at 8:43 PM, godanesgo99 said:

Lol, sorry for the off color joke. Couldn't help myself.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest!!!

On 3/21/2018 at 2:31 PM, nysteve661 said:

I had a thought about tough scheduling obstacles/weak opponents during conference season a while ago..... I passed along a thought to Marr.

Below was my email..... Any thoughts?  

"Coach,

.......... I had an idea that I thought I would share.... whether it's realistic or not.

Seeing that we might be up against the idea that teams are reluctant to schedule games
against UA now, and filling some time/slots might be more of a challenge..... I thought of this:

Seeing that you have started to created a pipeline from the native American nations, and building
that pipeline stronger would be nothing but fantastic.....  is it possible establish an annual scrimmage
in May against the Iroquois National team?   

This would be beneficial for a few reasons.  First, to throw in a tough game in May in preparations
for the NCAA tournament/ AE tourny....... Second, to continue to solidify the bond of UA and native American lacrosse.

Not sure of the rules/regulations involved with any of this, but thought I'd pass along the idea.

Here's to the upcoming, wildly successful season!"

Edited by uofalbany
  • Like 1