UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Terrible America East!

I posted this hypothetical in the 17-18 thread, but it's probably more appropriate here.

Think about this when you think of the America East and how bad the league is right now...

Imagine UA has a good game and beats Memphis. Follows with a win against Canisius, then loses by 18 to Louisville. The beat Kent St, then proceed to run through the America East, finishing at 15-1 in conference, splitting with Vermont. Then win 2 conference tournament games, and then lose to UVM in the conference championship.

The team would have finished the year at 30-3, and would probably still not get an at large bid.

Yes part of the blame would be on the weaker schedule (which we all thought would be tough on paper) but in reality the league would have a lot to do with that as well.

Definitely need to move up when possible. It would have to make sense financially and travelwise, but anything higher would be preferable.

Edited by godanesgo99

That would be perfect. The last 3 seasons the A10 got 3 teams each year into the tourney. The 2013-14 season, they got in 6 teams, yes I said 6 teams. So you don't have to win the conference tourney to get an invite. I understand the first 2-3 years would be tough till the recruiting catches up like it was in football going to the CAA but that is well worth it for the long-term future of the program and excitement for the fans, students and alumni.

Can we get St Louis to leave the A10 and take their spot? Travel wouldn't be that bad with the remaining schools, and the schools in that league that have football programs are all in the CAA...

SLU should be ineligible based on their being located nowhere near the Atlantic.

I disagree with that.

We are a growing program in the northeast that has been very successful.

We are in a fairly large market where the competition D1 team is sinking and losing fans.

Our football team plays in the same conference as their football teams.

All of our other sports have been rising and have become national contenders year in and year out.

Half of the schools in that league are public institutions so we fit academically.

Biggest problem is that they are not a lacrosse conference. If they were, it would make lots of sense.

I think I was just having wishful thinking.

The A10 only cares about basketball and most of the schools are private catholic schools. Make the sweet 16 three years in arrow and then we might go even higher than the A10 hah.

The America East should probably get their $iena together and try to somehow bring back Northeastern and Hofstra instead.

We definitely are gaining more recognition and growing, but in my opinion we are still just a blip on the map nationally.

Edited by UA'08

I posted this hypothetical in the 17-18 thread, but it's probably more appropriate here.

Think about this when you think of the America East and how bad the league is right now...

Imagine UA has a good game and beats Memphis. Follows with a win against Canisius, then loses by 18 to Louisville. The beat Kent St, then proceed to run through the America East, finishing at 15-1 in conference, splitting with Vermont. Then win 2 conference tournament games, and then lose to UVM in the conference championship.

The team would have finished the year at 30-3, and would probably still not get an at large bid.

Yes part of the blame would be on the weaker schedule (which we all thought would be tough on paper) but in reality the league would have a lot to do with that as well.

That scenario happens all the time to leagues both good and bad. Last year Monmouth won something like 27 games including a win over Memphis and didn't get a bid. Illinois State is in a much better league, had a win over a ranked opponent and won 27 games but lost in their conference finals and ended up in the NIT.

• 4 weeks later...

Yup. Way off base with grandiose thinking based on such a great start to the season.

Have confidence. The team can still win 30! It will just take winning the next 14 conference games, 3 games in the AE Tournament, and the first game of the NCAA tournament!

LOL, the way this message board reads this last week, it appears that we are questioning if they will even make the America East Tournament! (9th seed stays home this year)

The above said, my original post on that topic was more to do that a team could win 30 and not make the tourney as a statement on how bad the America Least is.

My prediction at the beginning of the year had the team going 13-3 in league play, so there is still a chance. I even guessed one of the losses would be against NH. I just never thought Hartford would take a win. Especially at home.

Edited by godanesgo99