UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #16: 1/3/18 - 7:00pm - vs Hartford

Eli

Both had decent box score stat lines, the blame has been going their way because it didn't feel like either of them played with any urgency during the game. Even in the end of the game when Nichols hit the 3 to bring the team back closer (I think it was the shot that brought the team 64 points?) it seemed like Nichols just kind of walked up the court then nonchalantly launched the three (which landed). Maybe it was confidence and swagger, but even my wife asked what was going on.

When you are a team captain the mentality of the team follows your mentality. If you are pushing and pressing on every play the team will follow. If it looks like you are jogging and going through the motions, the team will follow. I saw no urgency from anyone outside of 8 minutes in the second half. I'll take that back, Foster looked like he was pushing hard. Not sure why he didn't play at all in the second half.

Both had decent box score stat lines, the blame has been going their way because it didn't feel like either of them played with any urgency during the game. Even in the end of the game when Nichols hit the 3 to bring the team back closer (I think it was the shot that brought the team 64 points?) it seemed like Nichols just kind of walked up the court then nonchalantly launched the three (which landed). Maybe it was confidence and swagger, but even my wife asked what was going on.

When you are a team captain the mentality of the team follows your mentality. If you are pushing and pressing on every play the team will follow. If it looks like you are jogging and going through the motions, the team will follow. I saw no urgency from anyone outside of 8 minutes in the second half. I'll take that back, Foster looked like he was pushing hard. Not sure why he didn't play at all in the second half.

He certainly takes (and sometimes makes) questionable shots. I think at times hes (and Joe) forced to. Travis has helped this but nobody else has any consistent offense.

• Like 1

Just for clarity, I am not blaming the loss on them offensively. Not an issue at all. And I am not blaming them as the sole reason for the loss. Charles wasn't as aggressive...Foster missed some bunnies that he will make, etc.

However, It's about our guard play on defense. It's absolutely awful. And it puts all of our bigs in bad situations.

If you used the +/- system used in hockey to evaluate on court performance (balancing out offensive input against defensive liability), all of our guards would have been in a negative last night. And frankly, for most of the season.

All that said, I think we will turn it around quickly. From what I can see, every single player has pride...stems from the coaching staff...and there is no doubt that guys like Joe and David will step up the defense. I have no doubts about it.

Most of the statements were about their D, fair enough, but not a lot of mention of the other issues and players. It just seemed as a group the board in general was placing the blame on these two.

The starting bigs for Hartford scored 25 on 13 shots in limited (for Attia) minutes. Im no expert but comfortable that some of that is on our bigs.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I love David and Joe. I wouldn't trade either of them for anyone. My comment was only on the appearance of lack of energy. Someone pointed out how the game felt like the playoff loss to Hartford 2 years ago, and it was definitely the same issue that year.

It almost appeared like the team went to an all you can eat buffet before the game. Maybe it's just that Hartford is so unexciting that the team can't get up for it just as the crowds don't show up.

Maybe we can expect another loss during a day game in Orono?

Don't get me wrong, I love David and Joe. I wouldn't trade either of them for anyone. My comment was only on the appearance of lack of energy. Someone pointed out how the game felt like the playoff loss to Hartford 2 years ago, and it was definitely the same issue that year.

It almost appeared like the team went to an all you can eat buffet before the game. Maybe it's just that Hartford is so unexciting that the team can't get up for it just as the crowds don't show up.

Maybe we can expect another loss during a day game in Orono?

How many time is Hartford going to embarrass this program before someone get's pissed on UA's roster? UA single handily saving Gallaghers job. Make no bones about it, it's the reason he called this win and the Rutgers win two of the biggest wins in program history. He's probably in AD's office begging for an extension as we speak.

Edited by Clickclack

Anyone else get pissed when Nichols gets the ball...dribbles up the court and launches a contested 18-footer with 24 seconds left on the shot clock? I honestly can't believe he keeps doing it, like 5 times a game. You can see Brown is visibly pissed every time he does it.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 2

Anyone else get pissed when Nichols gets the ball...dribbles up the court and launches a contested 18-footer with 24 seconds left on the shot clock? I honestly can't believe he keeps doing it, like 5 times a game. You can see Brown is visibly pissed every time he does it.

Yep. I've been posting that I feel like in every game thread since the start of the year. I thought it was a first year thing last year but it's carried over into this year. I understand the kid has confidence in himself but OH MYLANTA! STOP JACKIN SHOTS WITHOUT RUNNING THE OFFENSE! #bepatient

rollsafe_1496255828865_60462414_ver1.0_6

Edited by Eli

I think what makes me most upset about last night is I really didn't see any guy on the team seem to give AF until our run began when we were already down huge. When it got to 9-0 all of a sudden players started acting like they enjoy playing this game and they actually cared whether they won or lost rather than going through the motions. That legitimately makes me sad.

• Like 1

I think what makes me most upset about last night is I really didn't see any guy on the team seem to give AF until our run began when we were already down huge. When it got to 9-0 all of a sudden players started acting like they enjoy playing this game and they actually cared whether they won or lost rather than going through the motions. That legitimately makes me sad.

That was my feeling as well...even after a made basketball when Hartford seemed to respond with 2 of their own...our guys would just walk back up the court. No energy, no excitement, nothing...until about 10 minutes to go in the game. All of a sudden they woke up down 20.

The why of why they didn't seem to care scares me. The team that made that run was a team that would have run Hartford off the court.

I have not commented til now bc I did not want to make any rash judgements. Hartford played very well and was very well coached for this game . Everything everybody is saying is correct especially our defense . But let's face it . We r 15 + games into the season . It's not going to get much better . Where I differentiate from you guys is if I were Brown at this point to would embrace our offensive part of the game . Put the best 5 offense players out there . Let's face it Campbell is ok on D and absolutely lost on O. Remove him and play someone else . Open up the offense and RUN, RUN, RUN. But it starts with removing Campbell until he is not an absolute liability on Offense . His mediocre Defenese does not make up for is Terrible Offense. Just my opinion.

Edited by UA1882

The more I think about it, the more I feel we are all over reacting. The team came out sluggish and ran into a mediocre at best Hartford team that is playing well. I think we all need to wait a few games before we panic. If they $iena the bed against New Hampshire then it might be time to panic. Only once did an AE team go undefeated. Stinkers happen. This team can still win 30 games this season before the post season. Unlikely, and it would require running through the rest of the regular schedule and AE tournament, but it's still possible.

I have not commented til now bc I did not want to make any rash judgements. Hartford played very well and was very well coached for this game . Everything everybody is saying is correct especially our defense . But let's face it . We r 15 + games into the season . It's not going to get much better . Where I differentiate from you guys is if I were Brown at this point to would embrace our offensive part of the game . Put the best 5 offense players out there . Let's face it Campbell is ok on D and absolutely lost on O. Remove him and play someone else . Open up the offense and RUN, RUN, RUN. But it starts with removing Campbell until he is not an absolute liability on Offense . His mediocre Defenese does not make up for is Terrible Offense. Just my opinion.

Wait till you get Campbell out... Gonna give up 90. He's always on the best wing or guard.

Offense is the least of our issues. Highly efficient all year.

BTW... We are 12-4 not 4-12

Edited by Clickclack

According to Wylands show, at halftime CB went into the locker room,, pulled out a chair, crossed his legs and said since nobody on this team is upset about this game, Im not going to be either.

Softest group ever. Probably a generational thing.
Same old same old..every generation thinks the next is lazy and sucks..lol.

1993 article... "The Whiny Generation"

http://www.newsweek.com/whiny-generation-194042

Edited by MRSGDG

According to Wylands show, at halftime CB went into the locker room,, pulled out a chair, crossed his legs and said since nobody on this team is upset about this game, Im not going to be either.

Softest group ever. Probably a generational thing.
Same old same old..every generation thinks the next is lazy and sucks..lol.

1993 article... http://www.newsweek.com/whiny-generation-194042

Probably, but these kids probably never lived life without a smartphone in their hand. Theres just something different.