UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Should college athletes get paid for playing?

uofalbany

No! Although I would let a kid go directly to WHATEVER pro league they want...if they commit to go to college, they need to be there 2 years minimum, get paid a living stipend payed = to every student in D1 from an NCAA fund.

How about paying a living stipend to student athletes that are NOT receiving a scholarship, or only a part scholarship..... ONLY.

As for pro athletes ruining the olympics, they probably don't. But there are certain athletes and really entire sports that I have no desire to

watch at the olympics, regardless if they are representing the US. Probably would need to evaluate on a sport by sport, athlete by athlete basis.

Haven't watched a game of olympic basketball since the first NBAers played back in the Bird, Majic era.

Edited by uofalbany

The kids are working an entertainment job, and aren't allowed other outside work. Almost seems like slave labor.

I say, let them get paid, but make all D1 athletes get paid the same amount, and make the NCAA pay for it out of their profits. No need to add another level of disparity between schools that can pay more. Make the payout dependent on the sport they play and then make a GPA modifier. Need a 3.3 GPA to get full payout. Need a 2.7-3.2 to get 75%, and a 2.5 to get 50%. Below a 2.5 and you get a whopping $0.00

• Like 1

The kids are working an entertainment job, and aren't allowed other outside work. Almost seems like slave labor.

I say, let them get paid, but make all D1 athletes get paid the same amount, and make the NCAA pay for it out of their profits. No need to add another level of disparity between schools that can pay more. Make the payout dependent on the sport they play and then make a GPA modifier. Need a 3.3 GPA to get full payout. Need a 2.7-3.2 to get 75%, and a 2.5 to get 50%. Below a 2.5 and you get a whopping $0.00

With a proven class attendance modifier too so you don't have UNC all over again.

I like this idea. Give them $5k a year or something...

I don't know what is and isn't paid for when someone is on scholarship but wasn't there a huge story like 3 years ago about Shabazz Napier going to bed hungry due to NCAA rules?

Edited by Eli

No, I don't think they should be paid.

This seems like a ploy to benefit the power conferences. They have more resources and could afford to pay their athletes and probably pay them more. This would widen the gap between the college haves and the have nots.

• Like 1

No, I don't think they should be paid.

This seems like a ploy to benefit the power conferences. They have more resources and could afford to pay their athletes and probably pay them more. This would widen the gap between the college haves and the have nots.

There's only so many open roster spots...like 13 per team in hoops. That's why I think pretty much everyone has suggested that IF this is about doing what's best for student athlete, have the NCAA administer the living stipend and not individual conferences or schools.