UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

As for doing some research...here's some research for you. Not looking to far out but looking at other CAA affiliate members and peer institutions in the AE. Maine and UNH joined the CAA in 2007. Throwing away each teams inaugural season (Fords first year)...year 2-5 records.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

4 year in conference winning %

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

By contrast, a coach that has 4 full years under his belt has a winning % of 34% and a record of 11-21 and we are being told but it's so hard...other programs struggle making this move. <- this isn't even true...

Again, I'm not asking for him to be fired, I just don't understand why there was a rush to extend a coach and commit another 900k or more to him when he had multiple years left on his contract.

Not an excuse but the jump from A10 to CAA is not as big as the jump from NEC to CAA.

I also question the timing of this contract extension. I like to give coaches time to build their program and GG has had time to build it with mediocre to bad results. I think a contract extension takes the pressure off him a little and that can be a good or bad thing. I personally think it's better to have a little pressure of a "contract year" to light a bit of a fire and make the proper changes.

Either way I'm gonna support the program and root hard for victories!

Click, don't take this the wrong way but I think a bit of your bitterness comes from GG blocking you on twitter. haha! Which I totally understand by the way. He shouldn't be blocking season ticket holders.

I don't care about that...my bitterness comes with him not being able to find a QB worth a crap...and continued support for an OC who sucks! Don't care about Twitter...

I hope he (GG) and UA kill it this year...that is my only goal and if he's winning and here for the next 20 years, GREAT!!!!!

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

My sense is that Benson made a commitment to Coach Gattuso and kept that commitment. Yesterday, at either the NLI press conference or on the radio show, Benson said that he spoke to Gattuso before last season and agreed to revisit his contract after the season. So this was after the 7 win season where we should have made the playoffs. Benson said that they agreed to wait so it didn’t become a distraction. IMO, Benson just kept his commitment. I can’t think of any other reason to justify the timing.

I do think the team is headed in the right direction and they should be very good this year especially with a relatively weak schedule.

As for doing some research...here's some research for you. Not looking to far out but looking at other CAA affiliate members and peer institutions in the AE. Maine and UNH joined the CAA in 2007. Throwing away each teams inaugural season (Fords first year)...year 2-5 records.

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

By contrast, a coach that has 4 full years under his belt has a winning % of 34% and a record of 11-21 and we are being told but it's so hard...other programs struggle making this move. <- this isn't even true...

Again, I'm not asking for him to be fired, I just don't understand why there was a rush to extend a coach and commit another 900k or more to him when he had multiple years left on his contract.

Not comparable. Maine and UNH had been in the A-10, the same league, the CAA just took over management. Stony Brook had a head start by going to the. Big South a full scholarship league before moving to the CAA. But some startups like Kennesaw seem to have moved right past us

Was not going to respond anymore - BUT you are correct. Apples to oranges!!

With the states five year contract rule, I am not sure if GG had this year and next left on his contract. Maybe it had something to do with a December signing post dated January?? But either way i still do not see the RUSH on the resigning/extension. If they did it because of a concern/an abundance of confidence in this years class, tell the TRUTH and say so. But to say they are rewarding GG for the "great job" he has done, does NOT add up in any way or form.

I have argued in the past (at least in my opinion) the jump to the caa was just that; a move up, but NOT a leap across oceans or a leap of Faith aka "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail." My God some of you make it sound like we were competing with DIII athletes in the NFL; and NOT given a new stadium, a lot more scholarships, 10 million $s and a new GDAC. I do not think it was such a gargantuan task given to GG and even if it was/is he has NOT shown me, that he is capable of living up to it. I for one say "What's the Rush Tell me what's Happening"{loosely quoted from 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'} No one is asking for GG to be a Super Star, but the job he has/is done is suspect; especially with staff and how they are used. The kids he put on the field and how they performed, right or wrong ultimately is on him.

Lastly, Hof, I too have never played college sports; but I watched Bob Ford from his first club game to many "leaps" of leagues/divisions/etc. Even without being a player, one does learn a thing or two over the years. Bob Ford built and LEFT a legacy and I never say anyone is wrong on this blog, but in this instance you are wrong, if you doubt or hint that Bob Ford did in any way not turn UA football over to GG ready for the next LEAP. Even the only good qb in the GG years was a Ford recruit and a kid GG said he had doubts about.

Sorry but you are just plain wrong dyslink. I never said or would hint anything against coach - that is different than saying they were ready. They knew they were not. They KNEW it was jump and they KNEW it would be at least several years to being competitive. I have actually talked to coach Ford and staff members who I played about this AND I certainly have a far different relationship than you may have with him or them. Not sure why you rag on the QB rather than the O line. NO Qb ever make all of the passes perfectly and when they are always under attack it is REALLY tough. Not going to say more about that BUT give and example. Look at Eli with the Giants this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think another cog in the wheel to the extension was that Clark and Plungas left. I feel they may have wanted to create a sense of stability for last year's class and this year's, which are all Gatusso's. Not as easy as he sucks, his coaches suck and they don't know what they are doing. Just can not compare the last 4 years to ANY other school in the league by the way. Some may not see it or understand BUT it is was a huge jump up. See my previous post. Nuff said about this.

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men] - my son was a long stick defensemen at UA. I am TIED to UA. I also coached different levels of Fb for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

Okay now throw your darts!!!

Edited by HOF2013

With the states five year contract rule, I am not sure if GG had this year and next left on his contract. Maybe it had something to do with a December signing post dated January?? But either way i still do not see the RUSH on the resigning/extension. If they did it because of a concern/an abundance of confidence in this years class, tell the TRUTH and say so. But to say they are rewarding GG for the "great job" he has done, does NOT add up in any way or form.

I have argued in the past (at least in my opinion) the jump to the caa was just that; a move up, but NOT a leap across oceans or a leap of Faith aka "Indiana Jones and the Search for the Holy Grail." My God some of you make it sound like we were competing with DIII athletes in the NFL; and NOT given a new stadium, a lot more scholarships, 10 million $s and a new GDAC. I do not think it was such a gargantuan task given to GG and even if it was/is he has NOT shown me, that he is capable of living up to it. I for one say "What's the Rush Tell me what's Happening"{loosely quoted from 'Jesus Christ Superstar.'} No one is asking for GG to be a Super Star, but the job he has/is done is suspect; especially with staff and how they are used. The kids he put on the field and how they performed, right or wrong ultimately is on him.

Lastly, Hof, I too have never played college sports; but I watched Bob Ford from his first club game to many "leaps" of leagues/divisions/etc. Even without being a player, one does learn a thing or two over the years. Bob Ford built and LEFT a legacy and I never say anyone is wrong on this blog, but in this instance you are wrong, if you doubt or hint that Bob Ford did in any way not turn UA football over to GG ready for the next LEAP. Even the only good qb in the GG years was a Ford recruit and a kid GG said he had doubts about.

Sorry but you are just plain wrong dyslink. I never said or would hint anything against coach - that is different than saying they were ready. They knew they were not. They KNEW it was jump and they KNEW it would be at least several years to being competitive. I have actually talked to coach Ford and staff members who I played about this AND I certainly have a far different relationship than you may have with him or them. Not sure why you rag on the QB rather than the O line. NO Qb ever make all of the passes perfectly and when they are always under attack it is REALLY tough. Not going to say more about that BUT give and example. Look at Eli with the Giants this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think another cog in the wheel to the extension was that Clark and Plungas left. I feel they may have wanted to create a sense of stability for last year's class and this year's, which are all Gatusso's. Not as easy as he sucks, his coaches suck and they don't know what they are doing. Just can not compare the last 4 years to ANY other school in the league by the way. Some may not see it or understand BUT it is was a huge jump up. See my previous post. Nuff said about this.

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men]. I am TIED to UA. I also coached for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

No reason to throw darts, you are entitled to your opinion or to be dismissive of others...it's your prerogative. Question though, when do you think it's acceptable to question 11-21 or put it different 34% winning %?

Does he in your opinion need to have a winning record this year in the CAA?

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Not an excuse but the jump from A10 to CAA is not as big as the jump from NEC to CAA.

I also question the timing of this contract extension. I like to give coaches time to build their program and GG has had time to build it with mediocre to bad results. I think a contract extension takes the pressure off him a little and that can be a good or bad thing. I personally think it's better to have a little pressure of a "contract year" to light a bit of a fire and make the proper changes.

Click, don't take this the wrong way but I think a bit of your bitterness comes from GG blocking you on twitter. haha! Which I totally understand by the way. He shouldn't be blocking season ticket holders.

I don't care about that...my bitterness comes with him not being able to find a QB worth a crap...and continued support for an OC who sucks! Don't care about Twitter...

I hope he (GG) and UA kill it this year...that is my only goal and if he's winning and here for the next 20 years, GREAT!!!!!

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Don't totally agree about the QB's - O line caused MANY of the issues this year. I mention in another post a good example of QB play - Look at Eli this year . He is no better or worse than ever before - it was the O Line!!

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Don't totally agree about the QB's - O line caused MANY of the issues this year. I mention in another post a good example of QB play - Look at Eli this year . He is no better or worse than ever before - it was the O Line!!

I'm sorry...there were basic throws these QB's couldn't make with time...I watched all the games, either in person or via various streams. They simply couldn't make basic throws...go through game threads from last year. It was obvious to everyone watching. The offensive line is constantly used as a scapegoat...it was YEAR 4...who recruited that line, developed that line and then threw that line under the bus every time a mic was shoved in front of his face?

Or is the o line not his kids?

Edited by Clickclack

Hell I played for Coach Ford YEARS ago, started all three years I was here, was a defensive starter on the only Undefeated team we have ever had. I BLEED purple, I really do. I contribute more than I should every year AND I have 3 season tickets for FB and now 2 for lacrosse [men]. I am TIED to UA. I also coached for 20 years!!!!! Discussions have to be honest and folks should talk from a position of SOME knowledge not only from the heart and being pissed off!!

No reason to throw darts, you are entitled to your opinion or to be dismissive of others...it's your prerogative. Question though, when do you think it's acceptable to question 11-21 or put it different 34% winning %?

Does he in your opinion need to have a winning record this year in the CAA?

Not being dismissive at all BUT when someone questions my support of coach they step over the line. I actually do have a FB background - does not mean I know all or my opinion is more valuable BUT......................

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

I'm sorry...there were basic throws these QB's couldn't make with time...I watched all the games, either in person or via various streams. They simply couldn't make basic throws...go through game threads from last year. It was obvious to everyone watching. The offensive line is constantly used as a scapegoat...it was YEAR 4...who recruited that line, developed that line and then threw that line under the bus every time a mic was shoved in front of his face?

Or is the o line not his kids?

So did I - Do you know ANY QB on ANY level who hits all of his receivers? Even wide open ones?? One of things that make great QB's is receivers who catch balls that are NOT thrown right where they should be. Again look at Eli this year - terrible line and a bunch of 3r ad 4th string receivers who could NOT catch those passes. I would never blame Eli though. Go look at who the O line starters were.

Edited by HOF2013

Lineman who played last year [i think they all did anyway] I included TE

Murad Hussain 6' 3" TE RFr

Ryan Gilroy 6' 3" TE Sr

Anthony Manzo-Lewis 6' TE SR

Ryan Lape OL 6' 2" RFr

Cory Christian OL 6' 3" RFr

Jack Dudzinski OL 6'3" RJr

Kassy Desir OL 6"2" RFr

Tim Wade OL 6' 3" RSr

Griffin Clancy OL 6'5" RSo

Micah Royster OL 6'2" RFr

Luke Ritter OL 6'6" RJr

Lukas Repetti TE 6'4" RJr

LJ Wesneski TE 6'2" RFr

Hunter Verdi 6'5" Fr

And a couple of others who were redshirted last year - maybe a couple of these were - not sure. The Srs were last minute recruits who had not been signed by anyone when Gatusso came in or had been recruited by Coach Ford, except maybe Dudzinski. Proves the point others made which I agree with of how young the O line is / was.

Edited by HOF2013

Maine 5-3

UNH 6-2

Maine 4-4

UNH 6-2

Maine 3-5

UNH 5-3

Maine 6-2

UNH 6-2

Maine 56%

UNH 72%

Not comparable. Maine and UNH had been in the A-10, the same league, the CAA just took over management. Stony Brook had a head start by going to the. Big South a full scholarship league before moving to the CAA. But some startups like Kennesaw seem to have moved right past us

What league is Kennesaw in? Not the CAA or the Missouri Valley? Does depend somewhat on what league they are in too. no?

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

UA is broke as an athletic department...it's true, we don't know what his buyout is if any but to suggest that they will be able to find 300k per/years left AND pay a new coaching staff is a bit of a stretch. Better hope he gets it going and not continue collecting a paycheck and winning 34% of his games.

Not firing that incompetent OC is borderline negligence. Going into year 5 not having a QB that can play in the CAA IS negligence...

What??? Where did this come from?? Men and Women's BB in NCAA tournament several times over the last 6 years. Men's and women's lacrosse in the NCAA tournament more than once recently - the men ranked top 25 EVERY year - 3-4 this year before the season - women ranked in the top 25 before the season too. Track and field, which is more of an individual sport always has some great performances and champions. Softball went to the NCAA tournament last year. Don't follow the other sports BUT UA wins the big league award [commissioners cup???? - not sure what it is called] for most championship teams a LOT!

Edited by HOF2013

You can always fire a coach if need be and pay him out, who cares. The contract may stipulate he doesn't get paid out if he is fired or loses money if he doesn't win a certain amount of games or makes the NCAA tournament. Until you know the terms of the contract we shouldn't worry. its not like its our money that's paying him, its the University's (I know taxes...take it up with Cuomo). Contracts or handshakes mean nothing in sports(see that moron Josh McDaniels). I would be more concerned with how far a firing would set back the program.

I imagine if we don't make the NCAA tournament in the next year or two then there would be something to bitch about

UA is broke as an athletic department...it's true, we don't know what his buyout is if any but to suggest that they will be able to find 300k per/years left AND pay a new coaching staff is a bit of a stretch. Better hope he gets it going and not continue collecting a paycheck and winning 34% of his games.

Not firing that incompetent OC is borderline negligence. Going into year 5 not having a QB that can play in the CAA IS negligence...

What??? Where did this come from?? Men and Women's BB in NCAA tournament several times over the last 6 years. Men's and women's lacrosse in the NCAA tournament more than once recently - the men ranked top 25 EVERY year - 3-4 this year before the season - women ranked in the top 25 before the season too. Track and field, which is more of an individual sport always has some great performances and champions. Softball went to the NCAA tournament last year. Don't follow the other sports BUT UA wins the big league award [commissioners cup???? - not sure what it is called] for most championship teams a LOT!

What's your question? Regarding what Albany does if GG continues to flounder and now on the hook for 5 years meaning can they cut bait? My comment was regarding the budgetary state of the UA athletic department not their competence. They do more with less...it's pretty remarkable.

Edited by Clickclack