UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #30: 2/24/18 - 7:00pm - vs Maine

Eli

What I don't understand or like is that EVERY starter played at least 33 mins against Maine.... freaken MAINE. In a game that does not mean really anything. We have a major tendency to fade late in games. (Due to really playing 6-7 players.)

Why not playing our starters around 25 mins against Maine and Binghamton?

Because I do believe come tournament time we play our best 5 for as long as they can go. But let's get them a little rest before then.

Agreed. Was thinking the same thing.

Thought the same thing when Nichols was on the floor with cramping, Cremo had leg problems, and then Charles got hurt. Hard to question the Coach, but in this case, I think he should have gone deep into the bench.

He should have gone deep into his bench to lose? If he pulls the starters with about 5 minutes to go we lose, I am almost fairly certain of that. There was a big part of me that wanted to starters out but when the team couldn't stretch the lead to 15 points or so under 5 minutes they were going to have to stay in. Was it a meaningless game? I was a meaningless game to win, but not if we lost. If we lost to Maine, who I thought played really hard, it would have been a bigger problem that Davids cramps. Travis' injury could loom large but if the group of starters wasn't sleep walking through the last 6-8 minutes then maybe they could have enjoyed some time on the bench.

Bing is going to be the same way. Meaningless if you win, but not if you lose. You don't want to walk into the tourney coming off a season sweep by the team that didn't even make the tourney. If you want the starters off the floor, the bench MUST be better.

I really disagree. If we lost then we lost. It meant nothing except momentum. We have faded several times. Not once but several times over the last 5 minutes of a game. Our starters are tired. Cremo is missing a ton of free throws and fading badly in the second half. That's just one example.

I would rather lose the last 2 and have 100 percent fresh legs. Remember the regular season is great but it's all about 3 games in March. There is not a person in the world that will dispute that. Be as fresh as possible, in my opinion.

What I don't understand or like is that EVERY starter played at least 33 mins against Maine.... freaken MAINE. In a game that does not mean really anything. We have a major tendency to fade late in games. (Due to really playing 6-7 players.)

Why not playing our starters around 25 mins against Maine and Binghamton?

Because I do believe come tournament time we play our best 5 for as long as they can go. But let's get them a little rest before then.

Agreed. Was thinking the same thing.

Thought the same thing when Nichols was on the floor with cramping, Cremo had leg problems, and then Charles got hurt. Hard to question the Coach, but in this case, I think he should have gone deep into the bench.

He should have gone deep into his bench to lose? If he pulls the starters with about 5 minutes to go we lose, I am almost fairly certain of that. There was a big part of me that wanted to starters out but when the team couldn't stretch the lead to 15 points or so under 5 minutes they were going to have to stay in. Was it a meaningless game? I was a meaningless game to win, but not if we lost. If we lost to Maine, who I thought played really hard, it would have been a bigger problem that Davids cramps. Travis' injury could loom large but if the group of starters wasn't sleep walking through the last 6-8 minutes then maybe they could have enjoyed some time on the bench.

Bing is going to be the same way. Meaningless if you win, but not if you lose. You don't want to walk into the tourney coming off a season sweep by the team that didn't even make the tourney. If you want the starters off the floor, the bench MUST be better.

I really disagree. If we lost then we lost. It meant nothing except momentum. We have faded several times. Not once but several times over the last 5 minutes of a game. Our starters are tired. Cremo is missing a ton of free throws and fading badly in the second half. That's just one example.

I would rather lose the last 2 and have 100 percent fresh legs. Remember the regular season is great but it's all about 3 games in March. There is not a person in the world that will dispute that. Be as fresh as possible, in my opinion.

They JUST had a week off...tired is an excuse!

And is a damn good one. They have no bench. The starters play 30+ minutes a game. They fade down the stretch. I'm not saying don't try to win but they are tired. Just because it's an excuse does not mean it's not correct.

I can't lift a car. Because I'm not strong enough. That's an excuse right?

I'm just saying were 2 two games that mean nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Let them play 20-25 mins. A week is great. But we need them to play as close to 40 minutes for if we are lucky 3 Huge games

Edited by UA1882

And is a damn good one. They have no bench. The starters play 30+ minutes a game. They fade down the stretch. I'm not saying don't try to win but they are tired. Just because it's an excuse does not mean it's not correct.

I'm just saying were 2 two games that mean nothing. Zero. Zip. Nada. Let them play 20-25 mins. A week is great. But we need them to play as close to 40 minutes for if we are lucky 3 Huge games

You are contradicting yourself here. You are saying give them a rest, but then you are saying they need to play 40 minutes for 3 games in March. I agree they seem to be fading at the end of the games and its costing us. To clicks point, They just rested for a week. You don't get more rest than that once the season starts. If they get tired at the end of the game after a week off, what makes you think playing them 25 minutes against bing and then playing the starters 40 minutes on Saturday night in Round 1 is going to be any better. You can't complain that they are tired and need rest if we are going to win, and then say our only chance of winning is for the starters to play 40 minutes.

I completely disagree with "it is ok to lose to Maine and Bing if it means they are fresh going into the tourney". What happens when you lose to two awful teams then lose round 1? Everyone on this board and everywhere criticizes the coaches for building no momentum and crushing the confidence of the team by losing to Maine and Bing on the way in at home no less. Every game is important, every game means sometimes when you only play 30 games.

In baseball sometimes the starter needs to stay in the game when he is tired because there is no one better in the bull pen than him even if they are at full rest. The narrative hasn't changed since the conference games started unfortunately. They are going to have to find a way to gut it out on fumes. The best thing that can happen is start quick and steal some minutes on the bench early in games. A slow start means they are staying out there because there is no one coming out of the bull pen to save them.

You are contradicting yourself here. You are saying give them a rest, but then you are saying they need to play 40 minutes for 3 games in March. I agree they seem to be fading at the end of the games and its costing us. To clicks point, They just rested for a week. You don't get more rest than that once the season starts. If they get tired at the end of the game after a week off, what makes you think playing them 25 minutes against bing and then playing the starters 40 minutes on Saturday night in Round 1 is going to be any better. You can't complain that they are tired and need rest if we are going to win, and then say our only chance of winning is for the starters to play 40 minutes.

I completely disagree with "it is ok to lose to Maine and Bing if it means they are fresh going into the tourney". What happens when you lose to two awful teams then lose round 1? Everyone on this board and everywhere criticizes the coaches for building no momentum and crushing the confidence of the team by losing to Maine and Bing on the way in at home no less. Every game is important, every game means sometimes when you only play 30 games.

In baseball sometimes the starter needs to stay in the game when he is tired because there is no one better in the bull pen than him even if they are at full rest. The narrative hasn't changed since the conference games started unfortunately. They are going to have to find a way to gut it out on fumes. The best thing that can happen is start quick and steal some minutes on the bench early in games. A slow start means they are staying out there because there is no one coming out of the bull pen to save them.

Contradicting myself???? No offense but you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Let me give u an example of a contradiction. Play them 25 minutes against Maine and then 40 mins against Binghamton. That's a contradiction.

I'm saying play the starters 25 minutes in 2 games that don't really matter. Leading up to games that REALLY matter.

Then play them a ton when it does. That's not a contradiction at all. It's apples (2 meaningless games) vs oranges (win or go home.) I try to bring logic to my posts.

While I agree momentum is good to have, I believe a fresh team, in our case is more important. (Because of the issues of us finishing games. UMBC and Vermont to name a few, that we may see again.)

That's my option and maybe not a popular one.

My Opinion is also we would have beaten Maine playing Costa 10 more minutes and X 10 minutes. Again maybe not a popular one.

U appear to be the type of person that believes a Football team that clinches home field and nothing to play for, has to play their starters the whole game for the last game of the season. Some people believe that may kill momentum of you don't . I don't. But again that's your opinion and I def respect that.

Edited by UA1882

Contradicting myself???? No offense but you don't understand the meaning of the word.

Let me give u an example of a contradiction in case you don't understand . Play them 25 minutes against Maine and then 40 mins against Binghamton. That's a contradiction.

I'm saying play the starters 25 minutes in 2 games that don't really matter. Leading up to games that REALLY matter.

Then play them a ton when it does. That's not a contradiction at all. It's apples (2 meaningless games) vs oranges (win or go home.) I try to bring logic to my posts.

While I agree momentum is good to have, I believe a fresh team, in our case is more important. (Because of the issues of us finishing games. UMBC and Vermont to name a few, that we may see again.)

My Opinion is also we would have beaten Maine playing Costa 10 more minutes and X 10 minutes. Again maybe not a popular one.

U appear to be the type of person that believes a Football team that clinches home field and nothing to play for, has to play their starters the whole game for the last game of the season. Some people believe that may kill momentum of you don't . I don't. But again that's your opinion and I def respect that.

Let me give u an example of a contradiction in case you don't understand . Play them 25 minutes against Maine and then 40 mins against Binghamton. That's a contradiction.

You said "Let them play 20-25 mins. A week is great. But we need them to play as close to 40 minutes for if we are lucky 3 Huge games"

So you want them to play 25 minutes, then you want them to play 40. I understand what you are getting at. The games in the tournament are the most important. We can agree on that. I also agree that the team seems to run out of gas at the end of tight games, UMBC and Vermont being two of those examples.

But, you are saying they are running out of gas playing too much, so lower the minutes in two "meaningless" games then in the tourney play them 40 minutes and hope they don't run out gas? Thats where I find the contradiction in your logic. Whats the difference? They just had a week off and still ran out of gas. If you play them for 20-25 minutes on Tuesday they have to come back and play 40 minutes on Saturday.

A team that limps into the play offs should be playing to win every game and get momentum and confidence. A team like Vermont, that has steam rolled everyone to a number 1 seed, they have earned the ability to rest there guys. Even CB himself said on his twitter that he was asked how he would handle the last two games and he said "like every other game, try to win"

We can have a differing opinion on how these last few games should be handled and how the minutes should be split up. Thats all fine and good. Its part of the reason I became a poster. But please don't insinuate that I am stupid and don't understand the meaning of a word because I don't agree with your post and opinion.

My 2¢. Might as well play the starters 35-40 minutes+ tomorrow vs bingo. The bench simply has not shown enough to warrant minutes or instill any confidence of holding a lead while the starters rest. If we are going to do anything in the tournament, the starters are on their own. Might as well fine tune them tomorrow {& last Saturday.} I get it and agree with the "rest" idea; but at this point, [in my opinion] Joe, David, Greig, and Bucket either have it in them to produce the supper effort needed or not.

• Like 1

My 2¢. Might as well play the starters 35-40 minutes+ tomorrow vs bingo. The bench simply has not shown enough to warrant minutes or instill any confidence of holding a lead while the starters rest. If we are going to do anything in the tournament, the starters are on their own. Might as well fine tune them tomorrow {& last Saturday.} I get it and agree with the "rest" idea; but at this point, [in my opinion] Joe, David, Greig, and Bucket either have it in them to produce the supper effort needed or not.

This is where I'm at, too. We are who we are.

When Nichols is on and Cremo/Charles are combining for their 35ppg.. this team can play with anyone. If Nichols is off and Cremo/Nichols are pressing..the team can lose to anyone. Campbell needs to make life difficult for the opponent's best guard and Stire needs to clean-up the class. If Costa can hit one or two 3s and Foster can get us 6/4..that's just gravy.

For perspective..going into the tournament:

2014-15: (21-8, 15-1)

2013-14: (15-14, 9-7)

2012-13: (21-10, 9-7)

2006-07: (20-9, 13-3)

2005-06: (18-10, 13-3)

Edited by Phoenix

This is where I'm at, too. We are who we are.

When Nichols is on and Cremo/Charles are combining for their 35ppg.. this team can play with anyone. If Nichols is off and Cremo/Nichols are pressing..the team can lose to anyone. Campbell needs to make life difficult for the opponent's best guard and Stire needs to clean-up the class. If Costa can hit one or two 3s and Foster can get us 6/4..that's just gravy.

For perspective..going into the tournament:

2014-15: (21-8, 15-1)

2013-14: (15-14, 9-7)

2012-13: (21-10, 9-7)

2006-07: (20-9, 13-3)

2005-06: (18-10, 13-3)

I agree with you guys. At this point you are what you are and its not going to magically change. Ride these guys for better or worse and hope your two guys off the bench can give you something positive. I still think Foster has the ability to give some really solid minutes off the bench for an extended period of time, but I don't have much to base this opinion off of, unfortunately.

There still is the chance that Hartford and/or UMBC lose and there will be a shake up in the seedings and we can avoid Vermont. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see that happen. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a tight one to Stony Brook too. Happy to have home court for this one and would totally rather travel to UMBC or Hartford for round 2 if an upset happens.

Agreed.

I think if there's been a disappointment this year it's that we have a talented group of upperclassmen (Cremo, Nichols, Stire, Charles) but didn't build a supporting cast around them with sophs and freshman.

Probably no coincidence that three of our most aggravating losses were @Monmouth, @Bing and @UMBC and all were at the end of multi-game road trips when we were probably worn down. Have to believe a little more depth would have helped us.

Most aggravating for me was Louisville. To lose by 2 when an 80% foul shooter is fouled on a 3 pointer at the buzzer with no call and the player on the other team admitting to the foul bugs the $iena out of me.

Clunkers happen (Bing), the team can fall apart and blow a big lead (UVM, UMBC), but to play well and have a real shot to beat a big time program taken away by a ref just blows.