UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts in the Seats 2018 edition

If you remove the first 3 years which are outliers...it's not a great picture. Granted, they have significantly (I believe) raised prices, require mandatory GDAC donations for season tickets, charge $10 per car in far lot. I think they are doing this all wrong...I remember before I starting parking in SEFCU lot, the far lot was free. The math must be really working in their favor because some of these policies are absolutely suppressing attendance.

HUgVoIC.png

Your right. I'm just praying they are planning a major renovation (with the extra money). But I don't think they are. Also aren't the name rights up? Are they taking bids for that? Edited by UA1882

If you remove the first 3 years which are outliers...it's not a great picture. Granted, they have significantly (I believe) raised prices, require mandatory GDAC donations for season tickets, charge $10 per car in far lot. I think they are doing this all wrong...I remember before I starting parking in SEFCU lot, the far lot was free. The math must be really working in their favor because some of these policies are absolutely suppressing attendance.

HUgVoIC.png

Your right. I'm just praying they are planning a major renovation (with the extra money). But I don't think they are. Also aren't the name rights up? Are they taking bids for that?

I honestly don't know...I thought they were up last summer. Nothing ever got announced. Last deal was 10 years 2.75mill..#ithink #don'tkillme

EDIT: Found press release but I don't see it dated with year.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=859824&SPID=7999&SPSID=70287

EDIT2: Wikipedia where I got that link from shows a date of Nov 2006...so yeah, that deal appears to have expired...

z6EVHZy.png

Edited by Clickclack

I must admit. I had really high hopes for Benson. But so far I'm less then impressed. I really hope that changes.

Likewise, between the football stadium policy changes, how they were implemented, reversed, blame shifted, reduction of resources for mens hoops, things like no COLA (1 of only 2 AE basketball programs not offering COLA), rising prices with nothing really (yet) to show for it, security harassing people to get out of the arena, Title IX mismanagement etc. He's a solid 5 right now on a 10 scale and trending down.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I posted this in the other thread, moved it here because it is on this topic...

RE: Growing the fanbase and Marketing 101

----

Honestly, I think that's what the first 15 years of D1 sports and the NCAA tourney appearances were supposed to do.

I see a few steps they need to take:

1. Create a Sports Management LLC similar to what Buffalo did. This will allow more efficient marketing, sponsorships, etc. away from NYS contracting rules. I think they are in the process of doing this as I saw a RFP for it in the NYS contract reporter a few months back. If I can find a link to it, I will share it.

2. Improve fan accessibility on game day. They started this with the Shuttle Bus (part of the reason parking costs money is to pay for that). This includes adding parking spaces closer to SEFCU and Casey Stadium. There is room to add a long narrow parking lot on the other side of University Drive that could have 2 rows of parking. Start it just past the entrance to the SEFCU lot and have it go all the way past the PE building and I bet you could add 500 or more parking spaces. The school has already been buying residential properties in the area, and building a sound barrier wouldn't be too hard if the neighborhood protested.

3. Full SEFCU renovations are probably pie in the sky, but adding a ticket booth somewhere outside of the main entrance would be inexpensive and make it way more efficient. Could add one on the SEFCU lot side as well if my parking proposal were to happen. A booth on that side could double as additional booths for football and LAX. This gets fans into the stadium faster and more efficient and alleviates the lines.

4. Sign marketing trade agreements with local marketing companies. Get free billboard space and give Lamar advertising or some other billboard company a sign in SEFCU and Casey Stadium. Push for trade agreements with Spectrum, the Times Useless, the Gazette, FiOS, etc. to vet cheap advertising. I don't know what CDTA pays for the tuition challenge, but I'm sure they could get more ads in the bus lines, etc.

5. Get a full liquor license for SEFCU and Casey Stadium. As I understand it, they get day licenses for the beer garden in SEFCU and Casey Stadium. Pony up for the real deal and let people bring a beer to their seats. It would be an investment that would pay for itself many times over.

6. Keep season ticket prices where they are for the best seats, but run promos for the less desirable ones. Keep single game tickets where they are as well, but run major promos for all games that are played over breaks. This is where your $2 tickets get sold on game day. Promos for 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas, and a parking pass for $40 or something like that.

7. Advertise heavily on the quads and other dorms. Make more promos for it to be easy for on campus students to attend. Forget advertising in the campus center. Hit the on campus kids. Don't neglect to engage Greek life to get fraternities and sororities involved in the games.

8. Keep winning

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

----

Honestly, I think that's what the first 15 years of D1 sports and the NCAA tourney appearances were supposed to do.

1. Create a Sports Management LLC similar to what Buffalo did. This will allow more efficient marketing, sponsorships, etc. away from NYS contracting rules. I think they are in the process of doing this as I saw a RFP for it in the NYS contract reporter a few months back. If I can find a link to it, I will share it.

2. Improve fan accessibility on game day. They started this with the Shuttle Bus (part of the reason parking costs money is to pay for that). This includes adding parking spaces closer to SEFCU and Casey Stadium. There is room to add a long narrow parking lot on the other side of University Drive that could have 2 rows of parking. Start it just past the entrance to the SEFCU lot and have it go all the way past the PE building and I bet you could add 500 or more parking spaces. The school has already been buying residential properties in the area, and building a sound barrier wouldn't be too hard if the neighborhood protested.

3. Full SEFCU renovations are probably pie in the sky, but adding a ticket booth somewhere outside of the main entrance would be inexpensive and make it way more efficient. Could add one on the SEFCU lot side as well if my parking proposal were to happen. A booth on that side could double as additional booths for football and LAX. This gets fans into the stadium faster and more efficient and alleviates the lines.

4. Sign marketing trade agreements with local marketing companies. Get free billboard space and give Lamar advertising or some other billboard company a sign in SEFCU and Casey Stadium. Push for trade agreements with Spectrum, the Times Useless, the Gazette, FiOS, etc. to vet cheap advertising. I don't know what CDTA pays for the tuition challenge, but I'm sure they could get more ads in the bus lines, etc.

5. Get a full liquor license for SEFCU and Casey Stadium. As I understand it, they get day licenses for the beer garden in SEFCU and Casey Stadium. Pony up for the real deal and let people bring a beer to their seats. It would be an investment that would pay for itself many times over.

6. Keep season ticket prices where they are for the best seats, but run promos for the less desirable ones. Keep single game tickets where they are as well, but run major promos for all games that are played over breaks. This is where your $2 tickets get sold on game day. Promos for 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 sodas, and a parking pass for $40 or something like that.

7. Advertise heavily on the quads and other dorms. Make more promos for it to be easy for on campus students to attend. Forget advertising in the campus center. Hit the on campus kids. Don't neglect to engage Greek life to get fraternities and sororities involved in the games.

8. Keep winning

I'm led to believe #3 is NOT a pie in the sky...there were posters here who have actually seen drawings of the proposed total gut renovation of SEFCU.

----

8. Keep winning

I'm led to believe #3 is NOT a pie in the sky...there were posters here who have actually seen drawings of the proposed total gut renovation of SEFCU.

I was one of them. I saw some early mock ups about a year and a half ago. I meant pie in the sky for a quick turn around. The school hasn't said much publicly about it, and I have seen no official announcements or capital campaigns started for it. Without those things, I have to believe that a project like that is still several years away. The rest of my suggestions could be immediately implemented. Parking enhancements could be done over the summer relatively inexpensively and be ready for the football season. A ticket booth structure could be done in a few weeks if they just added a large shed from Home depot, ran extension cords and used Wi-Fi.

I was trying to focus on things that could be done now, not long term.