UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts in the Seats 2018 edition

They have a couple of ticket sheds at Fallon Field they wont be using for two years

Good point. As a season ticket holder with a parking pass, I didn't have to deal with the ticket lines, but I have heard lots of complaints about how to navigate your way into the arena when there is a line of people buying tickets, and how slow the ticket lines move.

I think back to attendance this year, and I'm reminded about how empty the arena looked during the intro video and starting lineups, then how much the place seemed to fill by the first media time out. Yes, fans have been late arriving, but getting them in the door before the show starts and that video played should be a priority. It's a little thing, but it added to the fan experience.

Make an efficient ticket line that doesn't block the entrance and gets people in quickly.

They have a couple of ticket sheds at Fallon Field they wont be using for two years

Good point. As a season ticket holder with a parking pass, I didn't have to deal with the ticket lines, but I have heard lots of complaints about how to navigate your way into the arena when there is a line of people buying tickets, and how slow the ticket lines move.

To give credit, the shuttle buses from the Dutch Lot seem to be a good idea as people use them. One of the downsides is when they arrive, a big group of people arrive at the ticket booth all at once. It would be awesome if they could have someone selling tickets on the bus with a portable device. Not sure how feasible that is. Not sure why they couldn't also sell tickets in the old gym to clear some of the congestion.

To give credit, the shuttle buses from the Dutch Lot seem to be a good idea as people use them. One of the downsides is when they arrive, a big group of people arrive at the ticket booth all at once. It would be awesome if they could have someone selling tickets on the bus with a portable device. Not sure how feasible that is. Not sure why they couldn't also sell tickets in the old gym to clear some of the congestion.

That's a great idea. There are mobile printers that are inexpensive, combined with a mobile data connection and you can easily implement that one.

The buses are great, but the cost associated with drivers, gas, and insurance is part of the reason parking costs money now.

1. Create a Sports Management LLC similar to what Buffalo did. This will allow more efficient marketing, sponsorships, etc. away from NYS contracting rules. I think they are in the process of doing this as I saw a RFP for it in the NYS contract reporter a few months back. If I can find a link to it, I will share it.

I went looking for the solicitation, that I swore I saw for UAlbany, but I can not seem to find it. In case anyone is interested, here is a link to the RFP that SUNY Buffalo ran for their Athletic Marketing, Media Properties, Agent Services, and Sponsorship Rights.

This link also has the winning bid documents, and award information. I do not have time to look through it now, but I am willing to bet that there are some extremely interesting items and ideas contained.

http://www.nyscr.ny.gov/adsArchive.cfm?numID=2028056

I went to the Drexel lax game, bought the ticket on line couple hours before the game, printed it, emailed it to my phone as a back up and walked in without a line. Instead of charging more for purchasing and printing on line, they should give a discount if you avoid the ticket booth.

How about purchase kiosks? Like airport check in or those new ones they are installing to order and pay for your fast food?

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Related to complaints and suggestions above, new hires at the Athletic Department:

Leslie Moore, Associate AD for Facilities, Scheduling and Operations, promoted from Assistant - your complaints here.

Erika Kenney, Assistant AD for Ticketing and Group Sales - hope that's selling tickets, not ticketing cars in the parking lot

John Reilly, Assistant AD for Athletic Communications - assumes there's something they want to communicate, unless his job is to delete complaining emails

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=211735394

Sorry if I'm getting cynical

Edited by UAalum72
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Related to complaints and suggestions above, new hires at the Athletic Department:

Leslie Moore, Associate AD for Facilities, Scheduling and Operations, promoted from Assistant - your complaints here.

Erika Kenney, Assistant AD for Ticketing and Group Sales - hope that's selling tickets, not ticketing cars in the parking lot

John Reilly, Assistant AD for Athletic Communications - assumes there's something they want to communicate, unless his job is to delete complaining emails

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=211735394

Sorry if I'm getting cynical

lol, last two takes on what their jobs might be had me laughin. Good ones hahaha.

• 1 month later...

The twitter posts introducing the team were a great move, but beyond that I havent seen much marketing yet. Season tickets are on sale. The team should be out there. 

In past years, hasn't Will Brown already done radio appearances talking about the team by now? The team is almost all new, but isn't this about when the captain(s) get announced and do some media appearances? 

I stand corrected. Not sure why I thought that was August. 

Either way, I haven't seen any real push for Basketball season tickets or getting people excited early this season. I am afraid that the loss of Stire and Cremo might lose some local fans and ticket sales. They should be out pimping the team and the program now. Becker has had multiple radio interviews in Burlington already. Brown should be doing a media tour here. Anything that gets the program in front of potential local fans will help. The region needs to know that the team has promise even though we lost most of what we had last year. 

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

They have been pimping it all over twitter and other social media.

I'm on twitter and facebook, and I haven't seen "pimping". If you think that they are advertising enough, then I don't know what to say. The meet the players videos were great, but what else is out there? 

I don't really see how much we have to hype up.

We return less scoring, rebounding and assists than almost any team in the country. Mostly we have a lot of ?????????. Don't get me wrong, they look like good ?????? but they're still ???????

I'm actually fine with all the preseason expectations saying we're not going to be very good. They'll probably stumble sometimes but it's fun to watch young teams come together sometimes. I mean, you know, every 8 or 9 years or so, between strings of 20 win seasons.

• Like 2

You are spot on. The team is nothing but ??????? for this season. There are no stars to hype. There are no local players to push attendance. There can be no expectations of a huge season. No LCC at SEFCU.

This is exactly why the program needs marketing now more than ever. I placed my comments in the "Butts in the seats" thread because attendance and season ticket sales are going to be down this year. SEFCU is way better when it's packed. 

Will Brown should be starting his weekly appearances on 104.5 now talking about the new guys. There should be press releases weekly to the papers about story lines. We aren't Syracuse, but google shows over a dozen articles on Syracuse.com alone being written in just the last week, much less all the other media outlets.

I'm not talking about a release on twitter that only people already following will see. I'm talking about finding ways to get the casual fans involved. 

Why not promote that you can get 2 season tickets in great purple level seats for under $400, and that includes a parking pass for the season. Compare the value of the 15 games to other things you could spend those 4 bills on? I brought my son to Colonie Center for a movie and it cost $60 after a popcorn and a soda. The last concert we attended at SPAC was over $100 a head after parking. 

I just get the feeling that the school is promoting football and ignoring basketball. Yes football is about to start, but now is when they need to push the basketball program. Football needs to be pushed during Lacrosse and the early summer.