UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The TU article could have also mentioned that the UA men's lacrosse team is the first Number 1-rated team ever coming from the SUNY system in Division 1. The editors never checked the UA athletics site! :o

• Like 2

America East is the currently sixth-ranked conference in men's lacrosse. Here's the list:

Conference check-in

We’ve got power up where it normally resides, but a rising underdog conference won’t be silenced.

Here’s the full rundown:

• ACC: Duke, Virginia, UNC, Syracuse, Notre Dame (5)
  • B1G: Maryland, Ohio State, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins (4)
  • Big East: Villanova, Denver, Georgetown, Marquette (4)
  • Ivy: Yale, Princeton, Penn (3)
  • Patriot: Army, Loyola (2)
  • America East: Albany, Vermont (2)

Time for a conference jump preferably one that is FBS.

Honestly the AD is sitting on a #1 ranked lacrosse team. We need to cash in. Hit up the conferences, donors and backers. Dont wait. UA has a great resume.

Unfortunately we can win a national championship and it will be status quo. Look at Loyola

Honestly the AD is sitting on a #1 ranked lacrosse team. We need to cash in. Hit up the conferences, donors and backers. Dont wait. UA has a great resume.

Unfortunately we can win a national championship and it will be status quo. Look at Loyola

Things have changed pretty quickly I think - the Albany program seems to have far more recognition than Loyola's does. I think some of it may be because of the Thompsons. They tweet. blog etc and mention UA all the time. We have recruits from Oregon, California, New Brunswick Canada, Now for Georgia [2 years from now]. A friend has grand sons in Georgia who started playing lacrosse a couple of years ago and asked him to get them Lyle Thompson Jerseys for Christmas. Albany has a LOT of National name recognition because of lacrosse. Also the Basketball teams have been in several NCAA Tournaments over the last few years as have other sports. As dslyank mentioned in the other tread, UA is one of a minority of schools NATION WIDE who have ever had ANY team ranked as #1 in any sport. This is pretty easy to check out.

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

Posted from the other thread. WELL STATED by dslyank >> "What the ncaa did to help Denver is just short of a crime. Basically stole a coach and a recruiting class or two from Princeton {Princeton has never been the same since.} Helped Denver with travel and scheduling. I am not sure who else Hof is referring to in the ncaa's quest to expand lacrosse westward, but I am not surprised. I am pretty sure Albany never got any of this DI help growth. But I can tell you one eastern school who has and continues to get ncaa help. hopkins is "grandfathered" against the rule that requires schools to play D1 sports in ALL sports that they choose to offer. The rule was initiated so a school would NOT have a competitive advantage by spending all their resources on one sport, thus building a power house. When the rule was put in place (I forgot what year) schools with mixed levels of D1, D11,D111 were given x # of years to comply all teams to one level. When x years past hopkins led a fight (along with a number of hockey schools RPI & I believe Denver [who did ultimately raise all it teams.] to have the grandfather clause made permanent. What I believed happened it was agreed to extend the clause and review again in y years. Since most teams did eventually comply with the ALL D1 or nothing rule, the ncaa seems to have never reopened the "grandfather" issue, allowing a small # of teams {something like 5 or 6 teams total [mostly in hockey} to continue to compete in a single D1 sport. hopkins being the only lacrosse school still D1 only. Besides allowing them to spend ALL/most of their athletic resources on ONE sport, Title IX issues were also circumvented in allowing this grandfather clause to exist in perpetuity. I may have some of my facts wrong, but I assure you the basics of this rant are true."

Edited by HOF2013

Things have changed pretty quickly I think - the Albany program seems to have far more recognition than Loyola's does. I think some of it may be because of the Thompsons. They tweet. blog etc and mention UA all the time. We have recruits from Oregon, California, New Brunswick Canada, Now for Georgia [2 years from now]. A friend has grand sons in Georgia who started playing lacrosse a couple of years ago and asked him to get them Lyle Thompson Jerseys for Christmas. Albany has a LOT of National name recognition because of lacrosse. Also the Basketball teams have been in several NCAA Tournaments over the last few years as have other sports. As dslyank mentioned in the other tread, UA is one of a minority of schools NATION WIDE who have ever had ANY team ranked as #1 in any sport. This is pretty easy to check out.

Agree with everything you said here, but its still not going to bring UA to an FBS conference. Unless someone wins the power ball and donates $100million we are staying where we are.

Let's not forget Marr was a national champion attackman at Hopkins.

He also has a unique personality, lacrosse savvy, and unique style of coaching. If it wasn't for him,

we wouldn't have gotten the Thompsons.

A #1 ranking is fine and dandy after two weeks. We were ranked #2 back in 2007 for about five weeks.

We had a top five team last year without any doubt. This year, our team is better.

Edited by uofalbany

There are a few other schools who have a Division I team but are Division II or III in other sports. Union and RPI have Division I hockey, but they play in Division III in all other sports. Hartwick, I believe, still has Division I men's soccer. They used to be Division II in men's basketball, but they dropped down to Division III. I used to be a little jealous of these teams, but since we are now DI in all sports, that feeling is gone.

Agree with everything you said here, but its still not going to bring UA to an FBS conference. Unless someone wins the power ball and donates $100million we are staying where we are.

I play all the time. Maybe I'll hit the big one!!! Still wouldn't donate 100 Mil. Don't think it'll take that much. Utah got a donation of somewhere around 15 million to establish men's Lacrosse. Another 15 - 20 Mil will complete Casey stadium. Not sure what it'll take to rebuild Fallon to a first class Lacrosse stadium, BUT from what I hear they LOVE playing at Casey Stadium - listen to Coach Marr's interviews.