UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Phew, got to watch the game online to confirm what I thought I saw in person.

First of all, way to come back and I think a win like this does more good in the long run.

While I have a kid who plays lacrosse, I don't know a lot so hopefully those with more knowledge will chime in.

1) as good as our offense is, I think if transition opportunities are not there the 6 on 6 offense isn't very crisp yet.

2) to win all of the face offs and be in this close of a game doesn't make sense to me.

3) seems as if close D gives up very few goals by getting beat but we slide really early a lot and give the other team outside looks

4) and when goalie is screened or what that is where we are most vulnerable

5) I say this one as the father of a d mid - seems like the mids give to easy of alley dodges where most of the damage is being done. This goes back to the blaze era. Seems more like a philosophy of giving up those shots and hoping the goalie makes the save??

• Like 1

TD Ierlan goes 24 for 24 at faceoffs, and the game is close? I am no LAX pundit, but is it not fair to say that Cornell outplayed us big time by keeping it so close despite losing all those faceoffs?

We outshot them 40-33, got more ground balls even not counting face offs, they had four failed clears while we only had one. Cornells only advantage was five fewer turnovers, and a hot goalie who made 19 saves to JDs 7

MOST of our turnovers were unforced, especially in the first half , bad passes and such, Makes a huge difference. Like I said watching the game our thoughts were that many of our shots were very poor shots - led to MANY of the saves by their goalie - I just did not have the impression that he was a "hot" goalie as much as us taking poor shots and making numerous unforced turnovers. Just our impression.

BTW

Clears in the first half were Cornell 13 of 14 and U A 7 of 8 - at the same time in the first half we had 9 turnovers and they had 5

Edited by HOF2013

As crisp as the the offense was in 2nd half of Cuse game and 1st half vs Drexel, today was not crisp. Missed passes, holding ball too long till it was smacked from stick, and shots a high school keeper could have stopped led to a tight game. If it were game one, I could understand but by now they should be a solid unit. Let's see vs UMass. If they put up 20, all will be forgotten. I totally agree the offense works best attacking the goal quickly and not passing around 6 on 6 for several minutes. Also Connor and Tehoka behind the net setting up offense worked great 1st two games but did not do it as much today. Tehoka pushed his way to front of goal vs Cuse easily but couldn't get there today. A fluke or great defense? Marr needs to adjust as teams watch each game film and see our habits.

I think working a new attackman into the mix is always a work in progress, especially for one like Nanticoke, who seems to move less. More games are a double edged sword as the O improves, but provides more film to scout. Even if a team has a good plan they still need to have the horses to carry it out. Yesterday’s game provides a lot of useful coaching material for UA and a reminder that every opponent will give their best when you are #1.

I am not smart enough to know how much you want the ball in your best players sticks vs slinging it around, but you are right, the ball was held way too long. I guess that is ok if you feel the double coming and get it to the open guy, but in the past and yesterday that didn't happen.

I'm not too worried about it and the coaches and team needed this sort of game. Let's see how they respond on Tuesday and then down to Maryland.

As crisp as the the offense was in 2nd half of Cuse game and 1st half vs Drexel, today was not crisp. Missed passes, holding ball too long till it was smacked from stick, and shots a high school keeper could have stopped led to a tight game. If it were game one, I could understand but by now they should be a solid unit. Let's see vs UMass. If they put up 20, all will be forgotten. I totally agree the offense works best attacking the goal quickly and not passing around 6 on 6 for several minutes. Also Connor and Tehoka behind the net setting up offense worked great 1st two games but did not do it as much today. Tehoka pushed his way to front of goal vs Cuse easily but couldn't get there today. A fluke or great defense? Marr needs to adjust as teams watch each game film and see our habits.

Exactly what I thought!!!

A friend from NJ called last night and we talked about the game. He said almost exactly the same things as Marr was quoted as saying>>

UAlbany (3-0) and Cornell (1-2) were originally scheduled to play Saturday, but the game was moved to Sunday because of Friday’s winter storm. Marr said he thought that change affected his team.

“I think we did lose our focus a little bit,” Marr said.

UAlbany got it back, though, at the right time.

“We dug down there in the fourth quarter and made plays when we had to,” Marr said.

Marr on the storm

“It’s a big week for us,” Marr said.

And Friday’s storm made things a good deal more difficult for the Great Danes. While there’s not a huge difference in playing three games in eight days as originally scheduled vs. playing three games in seven days, Friday’s storm left the Great Danes unable to practice that day. Marr said he was unsure if his team would be able to practice Saturday, either, because of how much snow needs to be cleared first from the rest of the UAlbany campus.

“It’s a lot to ask in a short amount of time,” Marr said.

The Great Danes, Marr said, will work out and do conditioning drills inside leading up to Sunday’s game. That’s not ideal, but it’s also not unusual for the Great Danes, who had a game last year postponed because of extreme cold.

“It is what it is,” Marr said of running a lacrosse program in the Northeast. “You deal with it.”

Hof mentioned that a lot of Cornell's saves were NOT difficult saves and mostly due to poor UA shooting. I totally agree. Cornell's goalie and D seem to be getting a lot of credit and certainly deserved to an extent. After Eccles first goal in the 4th, I said to my friend ,I think that is the first low shot we've taken all game. The Cornell goalie was quite tall and normally tall goalie's are susceptible to low shots. I made it a point to re-watch the game last night and try to confirm UA was shooting high and often right into his stick. Other than Nanticoke's first goal, this indeed was the case. Also, many of UA's turnovers were unforced giving credence to not giving too much credit to cornell's D.

I have not read Lax Power's criticism of our D, but UA did hold a very potent cornell offense to 9 goals; and I believe Teet led the nation in overall scoring going into the game and we held him to 1 goal and 1 assist. TD gets a lot of credit for limiting cornell's number of possession, but with UA's turnovers and with cornell's goalie's 19 saves, cornell did have a fair # of attacks and holding them to nine; UA's D deserves praise not criticism

Edited by dslyank

Due to the winter storm's influence and interference with preparations, and possibly taking them

a bit lightly due to the asswhoopin we put on them last year.... we had our hands full.

All things said, our fortitude came to the forefront. Good learning lesson from a game that was almost

stolen from us by an inferior opponent.

Knowing what Marr said about the storm and preparations, totally makes sense while contemplating our play.

Requote from UA'08

"My thoughts in talking to others and my son is that the boys were not making GOOD shots. Most were up in his stick - very few were low or bounces- the ones that were went wide by a few inches, hit the bar or bounced way over or were goals. I would not give a lot of that to their goal keeper - just our thought. Bad play all around for us for most of the game. Yes the #1 brings it on. Cornell was being extremely aggressive from the gate, getting away with some of it too. The one Ierlan was knocked to the ground from the back and there was a scrum. Might be good from one point of view - Maryland will be coming at them, Nanticoke was frustrated a lot - could not get free and they did not pass the ball to him much. He has to learn to get clear of a good defender. Not sure why they kept having Patterson run the offense from in front of the net [three unforced bad passes] instead of letting Fields direct from behind the net - ALWAYS seems to work better - and it did near the end of the game. "

amd

nysteve661

100% in agreement

of course give credit to Cornell too - they came out for 'bear'