UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lacrosse vs Vermont 3/17/2018 3 PM

They have Mackay back after he missed all last season. They haven't played anyone who is considered a top 20 team, in fact the only top conference team they play is UVA in a month. Not a challenging schedule except they played 6 straight on the road. I am glad we have the week off. Bumps and bruises can heal, the high of winning can wear off. Would have been worried if we played them Tuesday for example. Just need to start off better, not give Coach more gray hair with 4th quarter come backs.

They have Mackay back after he missed all last season. They haven't played anyone who is considered a top 20 team, in fact the only top conference team they play is UVA in a month. Not a challenging schedule except they played 6 straight on the road. I am glad we have the week off. Bumps and bruises can heal, the high of winning can wear off. Would have been worried if we played them Tuesday for example. Just need to start off better, not give Coach more gray hair with 4th quarter come backs.

I just spent 10 minutes looking at teams they have played, the schedules of those teams, wins/losses etc. You are correct - they are all Siena type teams. The only team they have played with a winning record is Sacred Heart.

Edited by HOF2013

As always, UALBANY men's lacrosse needs to be ready to play ... Vermont is looking for the upset ... game is home field advantage in the tournament....

Yep - no let up. #1 makes everyone coming in to attack. They need to be ready.

While it would have been great to do to Maryland what UA did to Syracuse, I think this is a big statement game for a couple of reasons.

1) Only 3 guys scored against Maryland; albeit the defending champs and quality defenders, but nonetheless no Reh, no Nanticoke, no Eccles ....

2) First game TD hasn't dominated. It was bound to happen, but he came up HUGE in the 2nd half and in particular in the 4th quarter.

3) This game probably secures home field advantage for the AE playoffs

4) Despite the ranking it feels like most think UA is still a flash in the pan and will come crashing back down to earth.

I agree UA does not get the respect they deserve. We are not a "blue blood program" so people think we are a Loyola from 2012, flash in pan, will settle back to second tier once some solid guys graduate. We have been a solid program since 2007 but it's true we blew some chances in quarterfinal games, lost to Hartford in AE tourney, etc. We don't get the HS all-americans the blue bloods get (we do get top Indian players), so give Marr the credit for teaching these kids how to improve their game. We can shut all the nay-sayers up by winning a title. This is the year, with Fields, JD, Reh, McClancy graduating, we will be ok next year, but probably not championship caliber.

Game did nothing for home field in th AE playoffs, but probably nailed it down for the NCAAs

Ed: never mind, you mean the UVM game will secure home field.

Marr said yesterday UVM is starting to recruit a lot of Canadian players

Edited by UAalum72

I can see this game being similar to the Cornell game. UVM has a good goalie and a stout defense, but UA should have a dominating advantage at the X. Of course the UVM defense and goalie have yet to see Fields, Reh, Patterson, Nanticoke and McClancy at once...or some combination of the same.

SO a few remarks both past and present.

1. I am not sure why our man-up unit is so poor so far this year, we usually have a great unit which is a result of great shooters, excellent vision (esp. by Fields up top) and well schemed patterns designed by Merrick. It doesn't look like they are in a funk, but maybe they (coaches) believe they are talented enough to just freelance, which against top D1 teams with good DC's is never the case. I know a lot of coaches are NOT big on the whole "flip/fake flip" thing, however from my POV, if you run a F/FF at the top of the set, it forces the top defender to guess which guy has it, forcing a rotation without the ball traveling an inch. That is very valuable. I'm no coach but I have at least a dozen man-up looks in the ole thinker that generate multiple options, not the one hitter types. Additionally, when it is a 30 second penalty, why do 95% of teams waste 24 seconds throwing the ball around the outside, it makes no sense to me even if you do have a great 6-6 offense like the Danes.

2. I still feel like this teams greatest asset outside Fields is the fact that teams have to put a SSDM on either Patterson or McClancy. It showed up big time in the UMD game and in a prior post I did an analysis of output by those 2 based on type of defender. I think LaxFilmRoom would be proud. McClancy does not get anywhere near the credit he deserves but it will show on draft night when I guarantee he will be a top 10 selection. His stamina is ridiculous. Does anyone know what the current team does for conditioning? Is it strictly by doing high tempo drills or does Scotty still make them get on the end-line for "4-stops"? Also- which team will be the first to put a shorty on Reh and get toasted for doing so? My guess -- UVM.

3. Jared Bernhardt for UMD is scary good & if he and his coaches ever figure that out, watch out for UMD (and I hate UMD). He is so quick and fast he toasts every D guy on him, but for some reason they get away from him. I.E. game vs UA, he scored the 1st goal unassisted on a simple run from X, but they never got it back to him in that spot.

4. I give Nanticoke a pass. I recall Scotty always giving freshman the same pep talk about how Fr. year is a roller coaster and how you have to try to manage the highs and lows. UMD had a great D guy smothering him all game and it looked like he got a minor knee injury on that first dodge....

5. Speaking of. I LOVED that set they ran multiple times in the first quarter where they brought Fields or Tehoka out top and put 5 along GLE. While you can't run it multiple times in a row, I hope they keep sprinkling it in because both of them can draw that slide easily and have their head up looking at 5 v 4.

6. Someone tell Reh I love him. He gets lost in the shuffle but I know he will be good for 3-4 games of 4 goals +, especially when UA faces lesser competition that try throwing junk defenses at them.

Woooo that's all I have. Thanks for reading. Thoughts & opinions always welcomed.

Don't know what happened the last two days but glad to see BPD back up.

Very well said JP I had the same thoughts about man up - why waste so much time passing the ball back and forth. Take some shots already - just keep someone behind the net to keep the ball in possession!

Also agree on SSM on a couple of great players who came through. If they keep the LSM on Fields and Naticoke I can see the same thing continuing. Def has to play like they did the second 1/2 and especially the 4th Q against MD. Just outstanding the other day. Helps having TD finally get a groove in the 4th

Edited by HOF2013