UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

50 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Which is great to designate ..unless they "force" you to donate it to the GDAC slush fund for benefits where you will never know what it is used for. You want to donate $5k for a basketball scholarship that won't get you parking but  $1k donation for for the GDAC slush fund will.  ?

I believe your 5000 scholarship will get you parking.  At least it did for me.

Looking at UMBC, I wonder when the bloom fell off of Will Brown's rose. At which point do we walk away since we've gone from being the class of the AE to having Vermont AND Stony Brook AND now UMBC lap us into total irrelevance?

Twelve years ago tonight, Will Brown could now have made history. Now he isn't even in the Top 5 coaches in his conference. All the good he has done has been nulled out by the fact that UVA decided to lose to an AE team now and not when we had a chance.

I would sell my kidney and my firstborn to be in UMBC's shoes right now. Am I the only one in this position?

I think you're overreacting. Brown is still one of the top 3 coaches in the AE IMO (up there with Becker and Odom). He just got stuck with a bum (at least this year) in Nichols who COMPLETELY derailed UA's season with his petulance and other flaws (I don't need to beat that dead horse anymore). We all knew coming into the year that this team would go where Nichols took it. And he took us nowhere. This is his team for better or worse and he didn't lead it. If he comes back next year and plays like he did in 2016-2017, we'll be fine. If he lays another egg like he did this year...Brown will retool with the likes of Healy, Rizzuto, etc. the follow year. Our future bigs (Hanks, Lulka, whoever else they bring in) look fine...as do our guards (Cremo for one more year, Healy, Rizzuto). And there is rumor that we're recruiting Cremo's heir apparent.

Future is bright. Definitely not doom and gloom. We'll be fine. This year wasn't our year. It was UMBC's. It is what it is.

Edited by Eli
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eli said:

I think you're overreacting. Brown is still one of the top 3 coaches in the AE IMO (up there with Becker and Odom). He just got stuck with a bum (at least this year) in Nichols who COMPLETELY derailed UA's season with his petulance, terrible in-game IQ (heat check shots, trying to do too much instead of relying on his teammates, playing to his own style team strategy be damned). We all knew coming into the year that this team would go where Nichols took it. And he took us nowhere. This is his team for better or worse and he didn't lead it. If he comes back next year and plays like he did in 2016-2017, we'll be fine. If he lays another egg like he did this year...Brown will retool with the likes of Healy, Rizzuto, etc. the follow year.

Future is bright. Definitely not doom and gloom.

All the good Will Brown has done has been canceled out by UMBC. The only way he can redeem himself is a tourney win and there is no way that he can get the same wave he was once capable of now that the "Why Not Us?" mantle was taken by someone else in the same conference.

Lacrosse being #1 is nice and all but I would gladly trade it for being in the shoes UMBC is in right now because it would be a shot in the arm we badly need. Not even a national Lax title would come close to that level of exposure and fame. 

I agree that UMBC has stolen a LOT of our thunder...but we still have a MUCH MUCH better history of excellence than them. It's not even close. They are the Cinderella right now...we'll see how the rest of this decade goes for them.

16 minutes ago, Eli said:

I agree that UMBC has stolen a LOT of our thunder...but we still have a MUCH MUCH better history of excellence than them. It's not even close. They are the Cinderella right now...we'll see how the rest of this decade goes for them.

And what has that history of excellence gotten us? Nothing minus a Dayton pity win which resulted in living in Billy Donovan's head for a week after we failed to beat a 16 seed.

Everybody remembers the Cinderella, ESPECIALLY a historic Cinderella. We could win the national championship for Lax and it would move the needle far less than being a Cinderella in basketball. As it is right now, we are no better than the #4 team in the AE, #5 depending on which Hartford shows up.

People will talk about UMBC for decades. They won't talk about UAlbany Lacrosse.

Edited by scrabbleship

6 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

The troll makes his yearly appearance

This is the most disppointed I've ever been. If this was any other conference I wouldn't be here and if it was UMBC versus anyone not UVA/Duke/Florida/OU I may not be here either.

The combination of UMBC and UVA makes this hurt. All we have done has been done for.

• Confused 1

They make medications that can ease the pain. Seek help. Unless this a Russian troll trying to sow discord amongst Big Purple Fans...but if that’s the case we’ve REALLY hit the big time. Will Brown will stay as long as Will Brown wants to stay unless he strings together 2-3 losing seasons or there’s a scandal. Don’t see that happening. Best thing for DP to do is just delete this thread and send this troll packing. 

3 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Silver Spring MD? Congrats on the win, but definitely a troll.

I hadn't changed my location in eight years. I'm now outside Boston, the land that college sports not called hockey forgot.

Until yesterday, UMBC was behind UMD, Towson, Loyola, and when in season Hopkins Lax in the local sports pecking order for Baltimore. Not anymore. Nobody will forget them for all eternity and short of the state buying and folding Cuse into UA or college lacrosse becoming a big deal there is no way we get that eternal free press.

Edited by scrabbleship