UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

This is not a zero-sum topic. Congrats to UMBC. UA is not lessened. UA can use this to get over any hump that we seem to place in front of us when playing up. We can beat Vermont et al. 

What UMBC showed me was 40 minutes of staying to plan. I don't think Maura was more than 3 feet from his assignment all evening. You bet Muara bothered them. That was the plan.

Coach Brown should have the same take away, IMO.

congrats to umbc. A dynasty they are NOT!  umbc had a hot shooting night and Virginia a COLD one. In a one and done that is pretty much all it takes. I commented months ago there is talent in the AmEast. Is the AmEast now a power 5--duh, no way! I warned there were teams in the AmEast capable of beating vermont.  umbc & hartford did and UA should have, brook and unh were capable. There is some talent in the league and some good coaching (even though odom may be a short timer now.) Over the past 15 years UA has been more than relevant in this league and going forward will continue to be. UA has beaten power 5 teams before and  been competitive on many occasions; so has vermont, brook, even hartford. It MAY even be more difficult to to win an up conference game in season than in tournament (when pressure, poor shooting & a bad bounce or call here and there can be deadly.) I am not down playing umbc's accomplishment, just trying to put some perspective to it; and saying (in my opinion) it does not distract in any way to UA's history and prospects going forward.

Edited by dslyank

All teams get a piece of their win share from the NCAA. I’m good with it. Congrats UMBC.

But now that we’ve seen the impossible is this going to change the tournament? Do the big 7 conferences have a gripe and create their own tournament and the rest of d1 is left out? Like I said in another post, great for TV bad for everything else. 

10 hours ago, Eli said:

I think you're overreacting. Brown is still one of the top 3 coaches in the AE IMO (up there with Becker and Odom). He just got stuck with a bum (at least this year) in Nichols who COMPLETELY derailed UA's season with his petulance and other flaws (I don't need to beat that dead horse anymore). We all knew coming into the year that this team would go where Nichols took it. And he took us nowhere. This is his team for better or worse and he didn't lead it. If he comes back next year and plays like he did in 2016-2017, we'll be fine. If he lays another egg like he did this year...Brown will retool with the likes of Healy, Rizzuto, etc. the follow year. Our future bigs (Hanks, Lulka, whoever else they bring in) look fine...as do our guards (Cremo for one more year, Healy, Rizzuto). And there is rumor that we're recruiting Cremo's heir apparent.

Future is bright. Definitely not doom and gloom. We'll be fine. This year wasn't our year. It was UMBC's. It is what it is.

Wow.  Pot calling the kettle.  "He got stuck with a bum"?  That may be a bit of an overreaction?  Nichols isn't perfect but let's start with that Brown recruited him, signed him, made him his PG and captain (I think).  We also had nobody that remotely could fill his role if he were to sit on the bench as I suppose is where you would have put him.  Costa Anderson as your starting D1 PG?  We also fielded a starting 5 where only 2 players were a threat from greater than 12 feet from the hoop.  And not much off that bench that could extend a D either.  That doesn't work in todays game.  I stayed out of most of the Nichols bashing but it's been over the top.  

You want to bash, there's plenty to go around and WB gets some of it.  Throwing out a starting 3 man out there and having him play 30 minutes a night when he shoots <15% from 3 doesn't and won't work unless you have a big or 2 that can step out and shoot the 3.  Stire and Charles aren't doing that.    Nichols and Cremo were put in a very tough spot this year. By the coach?  Somewhat.  By players not improving?  Somewhat.  Nichols by his attitude at times?  Somewhat.  

So no WB isn't done for.  He's had great success.  Recruits and graduates good kids.  Is no longer a hot ticket.  Love him.  Hate him. Or somewhere in between he's the coach for the foreseeable future.

Edited by McFan
  • Like 1

Posted something like this in another thread. Nothing against WB, but another two coaches could be leaving and he is still at Albany with 5 NCAA appearances. At our level we need to be a stepping stone for coaches. I get our schools loyalty aspect and everything, but coach is very cozy where he is and can probably miss the tournament the next 10 years and is untouchable. I can’t fault him at all for that as he’s set for a long time. He signed a contract with no incentives and just got a 100k base increase in 2016. I found it very odd with how calm he was with this disappointing season. 

Just to clarify, I’m not saying I want him gone. It’s more of where is this program headed? Have we reached the ceiling? I get the winning 20 games is the big thing and everyone harps on that, but it shouldn’t be that hard in the America east plus the history of our non-conf strength of schedule.

Edited by UA'08

OK call me crazy; but here is how you can improve the tournament. LESS power 5 teams  & More from mid majors. Fans love an underdog and a Cinderalla. Every ncaa tournament that I have been to and there have been several, unless the "home" team is playing, all/most every person in the place gets loudly behind the underdog team. So my recommendation is ALL conferences must be allowed @ least TWO representatives (unless they they cannot field two +500 winning teams). Limit the power 5's to no more than 4 or maybe 5 participants. They are all playing each other all year anyhow. Who really cares to see Louisville, Kentucky, Florida, Whoever play each other 4 times in a year? 

Crazy Radical Nuts. But I for one would definitely find the tournament more fun/interesting.

ps. as a side effect, this would provide more teams, talent, and variety for the so called "lesser" tournaments

• Like 1

They have been talking about expanding it to 128 teams for a long time. Why not make 2 brackets of 64. One with teams from the top 16 conferences, and one from the bottom 16 conferences, so the national championship is the major vs the mid major champ. 

If people bitch that a low major is inbthe champ game, could always reseed at the sweet 16, but that would make bracket games harder.

Wait... So the great plan is to get rid of brown who has over the last 6 years

- won 20 plus games 5 times 

- the one year he didn't he won 19

- 3 ncaa trips where were showed well 3 times 

- brown has more ncaa appearances  in a half a decade roughly than umbc has in their entire history and has been close a number of times getting a w. 

- look at Siena and be careful what you wish for. 

And somehow what umbc did negates that? They graduate everyone... Have very little proven talent coming back and odem is almost surely gone... They deserve all the credit for last night but I fail to see how that deminishes our program. 

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Wait... So the great plan is to get rid of brown who has over the last 6 years

- won 20 plus games 5 times 

- the one year he didn't he won 19

- 2 ncaa trips where were showed well both times 

- brown has the same amount of ncaa appearances than umbc has in their entire history and has been close a number of times getting a w. 

- look at Siena and be careful what you wish for. 

And somehow what umbc did negates that? They graduate everyone... Have very little proven talent coming back and odem is almost surely gone... They deserve all the credit for last night but I fail to see how that deminishes our program. 

3 trips not 2 :)