UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

A couple things here. The win by UMBC last night was awesome, crazy, exciting, inspiring and every other positive word I can't think of right now. They deserve all the media attention they have been getting and will get. They did something NO ONE has done. But lets keep that in mind. They did something no one has ever done. It was lightning in a bottle. It was because they were the better team, last night. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. I love reading all the articles on them today. But if they have truly lapped us, we wouldn't have beaten them by 44 this year and took them to the last 2 possessions in their barn. 

There coach has had one good year, our coach has had many good years, and yes a few bad, but thats what a body of work looks like. You don't run a faster lap every single time around the track, eventually you had gotten your time so sharp that there isn't much room to move. If Odom stays, lets see him do it year after year at a school that has historically not been much of a player in the conference. 

The idea that WB should be gone or in jeopardy of being gone??? really? Who in this league has done a better job over 10+ season than him. Becker has done well, but WB has gone to more tournaments. Becker hasn't won a game in the tourney because its really hard to do that coming out of our league. Its unrealistic to think that a team from this league will ever make a run. It has NEVER happened before but all the sudden that should change? It may be another 10 years before a 16 seed beats a 1 seed again. Who knows. 

Who is going to come in and raise the bar higher than Brown has? Can you really raise the bar higher? Look what coach Abe was able to do on the women's side and she only won one  first round game. Close calls numerous times, closed it out once. The man does a good job, he does what he is supposed to and no coach has done better than him since I have following the league, since 2002. Pickel at Stony Brook cashed in but he wasn't going to the dance as much as CB. There is room for other good coaches in the league too, its what will ultimately make the league better. We need more balance and fire power at the top of the league. 

I understand we can have a difference of opinion and I am cool with that, but you guys who call for CB's head are nuts. And all of you that are CRUSHING David Nichols need to back off already. He is a kid playing basketball, relax. I personally would love to see us be more consistent in the conference schedule and be a perennial 1-2 seed, like Vermont, but I can't argue or complain about our success in the AE tourney. 

Edited by Dane06grad
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I don't want to pick on UA 08 (he gets upset when I do that, so i will keep it to scrabble- Troll, hater of Brown, and delusional with his logic.

Nah man I never get upset about this stuff at all. You were the one DM’ing me complaining lol.

I’m cool with it. Never said brown should be let go.

I got the feeling from listening to WB and watching his body language that he was exasperated with the team, the lack of fire and the lack of leadership. And I don’t blame it on him. There’s only so much a coach can do if players are unwilling to pick it up and run with it. Maybe this group was unreachable. There was one game where we were getting taken to the woodshed in the first half and he went in at halftime expecting to see chairs flying and players screaming at each other and ...... nothing. He pulls out a chair and sits down, crosses his legs and doesn’t say a thing. Basically if you don’t care I don’t care. People always talk about coaches losing teams, in this case I think  the team lost the coach. Cremo was the only player out on the floor with any fire and emotion. Nichols was in a funk all season. Stire gave his all every night but was robotic and emotionless. Same with Charles. Nobody getting pumped up, getting in other players faces, nobody screaming in the huddle, nothing. 

4 hours ago, jimbo said:

I got the feeling from listening to WB and watching his body language that he was exasperated with the team, the lack of fire and the lack of leadership. And I don’t blame it on him. There’s only so much a coach can do if players are unwilling to pick it up and run with it. Maybe this group was unreachable. There was one game where we were getting taken to the woodshed in the first half and he went in at halftime expecting to see chairs flying and players screaming at each other and ...... nothing. He pulls out a chair and sits down, crosses his legs and doesn’t say a thing. Basically if you don’t care I don’t care. People always talk about coaches losing teams, in this case I think  the team lost the coach. Cremo was the only player out on the floor with any fire and emotion. Nichols was in a funk all season. Stire gave his all every night but was robotic and emotionless. Same with Charles. Nobody getting pumped up, getting in other players faces, nobody screaming in the huddle, nothing. 

This is why I 'crush' David as someone said and have zero reservations about doing so. The dude is now a senior. He is a captain. And he is the one being consoled by teammates or being handled with kid gloves instead of being the one to lead his men.

He's probably top 5 in talent/ability in UA history. 

So...he is NOT 'just a kid playing basketball'. Me shooting hoops outside 10 years ago is. He's 21/22 now. Time to act like it. Most players of his level are likely looking to play basketball in Europe or something for the next 10 years. That is to say, they aspire to be professionals. But he can't even manage to be a leader or captain as an upperclassmen. 

I don't blame Brown at all. Not even .01%. We saw the kid Brown recruited last year. The kid that showed up this year was probably as much of a surprise to Brown as he was too us. 

2 hours ago, olddog71 said:

With the recent success of UMBC at UVM and against UVa, I wonder how many teammates are thinking of saying, "This could have been us."

Well, no one came out and said what Trpcic said, so who knows...

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, olddog71 said:

With the recent success of UMBC at UVM and against UVa, I wonder how many teammates are thinking of saying, "This could have been us."

I wondered the same thing but I don't think they beat Virginia again if they play them 20 times. UMBC was probably the most athletic and talented team in our league though. 

3 hours ago, jimbo said:

The “if you don’t care I don’t care” plays right into the point I was trying to make. With Brown’s no incentive laden contract, whether his team makes it to the tourney, loses 20 or wins 20 games he’s going to get paid the same. He seems to be at his best when he’s got something to prove. Or if the seats hot like in 2013. Point again is that he’s comfy, he’s earned it and I can’t fault him. 

On 3/16/2018 at 8:26 PM, MRSGDG said:

Which is great to designate ..unless they "force" you to donate it to the GDAC slush fund for benefits where you will never know what it is used for. You want to donate $5k for a basketball scholarship that won't get you parking but  $1k donation for for the GDAC slush fund will.  ?

Chances the under reporting of the attendance numbers at b-ball games this year are going into that GDAC slush fund you speak of?

I designated my donation to sefcu renovations, but who knows if it really goes towards that.

Edited by UA'08

4 hours ago, jimbo said:

I got the feeling from listening to WB and watching his body language that he was exasperated with the team, the lack of fire and the lack of leadership. 

Ive said it a few times during the season.. The team missed Dallas Ennema. He was always the one trying to pump up the team and crowd.

• Like 2

The “if you don’t care I don’t care” plays right into the point I was trying to make. With Brown’s no incentive laden contract, whether his team makes it to the tourney, loses 20 or wins 20 games he’s going to get paid the same. He seems to be at his best when he’s got something to prove. Or if the seats hot like in 2013. Point again is that he’s comfy, he’s earned it and I can’t fault him. -UA08

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand CB and what drives him. I don't think incentives (money) drives him at all or he would have left. He continues to win games, qualify for post season play and make sure that he helps produce Student/athletes that represent UA well.

I don't think he has ever had an "if you don't care I don't care attitude".

This year he played WVU in an exhibition, scrimmaged Buffalo so he seeks competition and that's seemingly what drives him. When he got the job he made a commitment to consistently keep UA near the top of the AE,

I think he thought he had depth and redshirted the 3 Aussies (1 medical) and I think they might have helped but he tried to do what was best for them and the program. 

He's 67-33 over the last 3 (non NCAA) seasons and some fans think he's complacent that's a compliment to the program he took over where they were 19-57 in CB's first 2 1/2 seasons ( 1st year 7-13 taking over for Beeten).

Hey, disappointing season at 22-10 is a good sign!

Let's see if CB can get some bigs to add to with what we have. It seems like a lot of depth on the perimeter.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Patch said:

Spoken like someone that doesn't understand CB and what drives him. I don't think incentives (money) drives him at all or he would have left. He continues to win games, qualify for post season play and make sure that he helps produce Student/athletes that represent UA well.

I don't think he has ever had an "if you don't care I don't care attitude".

This year he played WVU in an exhibition, scrimmaged Buffalo so he seeks competition and that's seemingly what drives him. When he got the job he made a commitment to consistently keep UA near the top of the AE,

I think he thought he had depth and redshirted the 3 Aussies (1 medical) and I think they might have helped but he tried to do what was best for them and the program. 

He's 67-33 over the last 3 (non NCAA) seasons and some fans think he's complacent that's a compliment to the program he took over where they were 19-57 in CB's first 2 1/2 seasons ( 1st year 7-13 taking over for Beeten).

Hey, disappointing season at 22-10 is a good sign!

Let's see if CB can get some bigs to add to with what we have. It seems like a lot of depth on the perimeter.

I was referring to a specific game with the “care” comment. Probably it’s better to say “if you aren’t upset, I’m not going to be upset.” I’m sure he cares, he just didn’t care to get upset if they were not.