UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA Football 2010: Youth is Served

DF keeps reminding all of us that the best days for the current crop of players will be in the next two or three years, so I coupled my curiosity and my insomnia and I plugged the numbers into Excel. I charted all-purpose yardage in the first six games (interception, punt, and kick-off returns are included, but passing yards are not), and I was pretty amazed with the current make-up of the team (at least on the offensive side.)

One caveat: I listed Andrew Smith as a Tailback, which I think is a fair choice.

Some bullets:

-The top seven players ranked by average all-purpose yards per game are all freshman and sophomores.

-23 players have appeared on the list for all-purpose yardage, and only three were seniors. Of these seniors, only one (Jason Poore) is classified as an offensive player. Chris Blais (OLB) had a 35 yard interception return and Trevor Anderson (DT) returned a punt.

-The first senior to appear on the list (sorted from highest to lowest average for all-purpose yards) is Chris Blais at number 11, but he is a defensive player. The first offense-based player is Jason Poore at number nineteen.

-The WR position has had an average of 3.00 all-purpose yards from its senior-year players.

-The TB position has had an average of 3.50 all-purpose yards from its junior-year players, and no senior-year TB has gained a yard all season.

-The only TE to gain yards all season is a sophomore.

I have posted a few charts and it is clear that this is an extremely young team.

With post-season possibilities all but done, maybe we can mix it up a bit on the offensive front and really watch these kids develop.

Archived