UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hof, You should have added your two additional paragraphs because once again your own quote:

{"I had a couple of paragraphs about your comment ending in "nonsense" but deleted them. Personal attacks are what people move to when they have nothing else to use to prove their point. Nuff said!"} proves MY point.

It is most definitely NONSENSE to say you know more than others because you played. You claim I am making a personal attack, but I repeatedly expressed how I respect your opinion and others. Yet you make a personal attack on me claiming that I have "nothing else to use." You think you are right and know it all because you played and those who did not play have "nothing to use." I have been following UA athletics since you were in diapers, and I may or may not know much, but most definitely have a lot more than "nothing" to offer. You do not know me, yet you make a personal attack claiming I know "nothing." My (so called by you) personal attack only claims it is nonsense to say you know more than others because you played.

I have NEVER on this blog made a personal attack on another member. I have always been extremely careful to annotate "my opinion" and always ask for and welcome other opinions. If I inadvertently offend someone, I always apologies.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

I feel bad with all the negativity in this thread for our outstanding student athletes that may be reading this.

I have been critical of the results, GG, and the team in general, but I want to reiterate some of the comments on the OL. The line is critical to the success of a QB. I am of the school that there is nothing more important to the success of a team. See the Mark Rypen led Redskins. He was a terrible NFL QB, but won a Superbowl and an MVP when he had the best line in the game.

Our OL kids could be the best individual players on the planet. I'm not putting any of them down, but the best lines aren't always the best individuals, they play the best as a team. LeBron couldn't win a championship without a unit behind him. I put this 100% on a coaching staff that hasn't gotten them to play the line as a unit instead of individuals. A coaching staff that made the most predictable plays. My wife knows nothing about football, but she was making comments like "look that other QB just went in. Here comes a QB run."

This is at the feet of the staff, this is why I would have liked to see another season before a renewal myself, but I still trust Benson and the rest of the staff.

Hof, You should have added your two additional paragraphs because once again your own quote:

{"I had a couple of paragraphs about your comment ending in "nonsense" but deleted them. Personal attacks are what people move to when they have nothing else to use to prove their point. Nuff said!"} proves MY point.

It is most definitely NONSENSE to say you know more than others because you played. You claim I am making a personal attack, but I repeatedly expressed how I respect your opinion and others. Yet you make a personal attack on me claiming that I have "nothing else to use." You think you are right and know it all because you played and those who did not play have "nothing to use." I have been following UA athletics since you were in diapers, and I may or may not know much, but most definitely have a lot more than "nothing" to offer. You do not know me, yet you make a personal attack claiming I know "nothing." My (so called by you) personal attack only claims it is nonsense to say you know more than others because you played.

I have NEVER on this blog made a personal attack on another member. I have always been extremely careful to annotate "my opinion" and always ask for and welcome other opinions. If I inadvertently offend someone, I always apologies.

That was aimed for him - once he started making personal attacks there is no longer a reason to talk to him.

I agree - fed up with the negativity . I have tried to infuse some intelligence about FB. There are reasons for why things happen BEYOND, the Coaches suck, the QB sucks etc. There is NO QB out there who always hit even wide open receivers in the hands all the time. NAME ONE! I mentioned twice - the O line was young and inexperienced, I even posted a list of years atc. - AND I mentioned the best example I can think of Eli Manning this year - substitute OL who did a terrible job - Eli looked terrible. He is no better or worse than he has ever been - NUFF SAID! People have got to actually think about things intelligently and not just go off half cocked because they are pissed at the season. I will not waste time on this anymore.

I am sorry Dyslank but having played for years AND coached for 20 years DOES give me a little more knowledge of the workings of a football team than someone who has never played!!! Like it or not - think I am busting balls - think I am a jerk, an a-hole - doesn't matter. Just the way it is!!!! And that is NOT an attack on you, it is just truth! Have a good night!

Edited by HOF2013

That was aimed for him - once he started making personal attacks there is no longer a reason to talk to him.

I agree - fed up with the negativity . I have tried to infuse some intelligence about FB. There are reasons for why things happen BEYOND, the Coaches suck, the QB sucks etc. There is NO QB out there who always hit even wide open receivers in the hands all the time. NAME ONE! I mentioned twice - the O line was young and inexperienced, I even posted a list of years atc. - AND I mentioned the best example I can think of Eli Manning this year - substitute OL who did a terrible job - Eli looked terrible. He is no better or worse than he has ever been - NUFF SAID! People have got to actually think about things intelligently and not just go off half cocked because they are pissed at the season. I will not waste time on this anymore.

I am sorry Dyslank but having played for years AND coached for 20 years DOES give me a little more knowledge of the workings of a football team than someone who has never played!!! Like it or not - think I am busting balls - think I am a jerk, an a-hole - doesn't matter. Just the way it is!!!! And that is NOT an attack on you, it is just truth! Have a good night!

You can say what you want, this is a message board and we debate differences of opinion here all the time...but as a matter of record, I just scanned through the thread and there was NEVER a direct personal attack on you...unless you are GG or I'm missing something... so you can tilt at that windmill all you want...You still haven't answered why rush an extension when there are TWO years left...other posters have asked the same question. Apparently your expertise doesn't extend that far.

And there was NEVER a demand that the QB hit every open receiver, every time..but, and if you are being honest, there was VERY little evidence of progression on reads, check off receivers, accuracy on basic short or intermediate throws on the run...go scan through the game threads how many comments were made when balls just hit the ground not even close. Bad throws happen to QB's...but sometimes bad QBs are JUST BAD QBs.

Again, I've asked you 10 times who's fault in year 4 is it that the OLine is as shallow and inexperienced as it is...also crickets, but you have no problem pinning all the blame there, on these kids and not on the man making 300k who's in charge of putting the roster together...no...you'd rather rush out and reward him for a job well done when he had not 1 but 2 years left on the contract. God forbid anyone questions an 11-21 coach...

Again, there was no personal attacks unless you are GG or any differences of opinion with the so called expert (you) are considered personal attacks, if that's the case...GUILTY AS CHARGED

NaughtyIckyCockatoo-max-1mb.gif

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I feel bad with all the negativity in this thread for our outstanding student athletes that may be reading this.

I have been critical of the results, GG, and the team in general, but I want to reiterate some of the comments on the OL. The line is critical to the success of a QB. I am of the school that there is nothing more important to the success of a team. See the Mark Rypen led Redskins. He was a terrible NFL QB, but won a Superbowl and an MVP when he had the best line in the game.

Our OL kids could be the best individual players on the planet. I'm not putting any of them down, but the best lines aren't always the best individuals, they play the best as a team. LeBron couldn't win a championship without a unit behind him. I put this 100% on a coaching staff that hasn't gotten them to play the line as a unit instead of individuals. A coaching staff that made the most predictable plays. My wife knows nothing about football, but she was making comments like "look that other QB just went in. Here comes a QB run."

This is at the feet of the staff, this is why I would have liked to see another season before a renewal myself, but I still trust Benson and the rest of the staff.

To your point....every single time Sussman came in it was a yard and a cloud of dust...just about every single time...straight up the middle for a yard or two. It got to the point that the entire section that we sit in would call it out the minute he ran onto the field and then laugh when it went as predicted. So if we can figure it out...who do they think they are fooling? This is the kind of mind-numbing offense that Bernard ran...and GG didn't fire him! This is just a microcosm of what was terrible and stale play-calling. My sense is there was very little over the middle or any form of slants, they worked the sidelines, dumped it off or chucked it deep and pray.

At bare minimum GG needed to make a drastic and distinct change at the OC position to show that he understands the results on that side of the ball were not acceptable...he didn't...so expect more of the same. These QB's need all the help they can get...instead they get Bernards play-call.

I see a number of references to how close they were or a point here and a point there would have made drastic differences in the W-L record...but if you look slightly deeper, that was only the case because that defense had to stand on it's head most games to even have a chance. If you look at the numbers...

- Scoring offense was ranked 11th in the CAA at 15ppg

- Rushing offense was ranked dead last at 12th, 67ypg

- Pass offense was ranked 9th, 191ypg

- Total offense was ranked 11th, 258ypg

- 1st down ranked 11th

- Red zone offense ranked 12th (dead last)

There were A LOT of problems last year on offense...a lot!!!! My hope for this year is that they make some progress on that oline and play-calling and execution by a RJr QB improves...Not expecting miracles...any sign of life would be great.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

If there were two years left on the contract, ending in December 2019....

what would be the reason to be even talking about the contract?

I think the information being forwarded by the 'media' is erroneous. I think there

was only one year left. If you are the AD, have good reasons why to extend someone's contract,

to avoid serious distractions during the football season this coming fall, then it would have been time to do it.

The question is, did Benson have good reasons to extend the contract? Inner circle info? This is all based on the

assumption that there was only 11 months left on the contract.

We always hear about contract changes, don't we? When would have one year been added on to his original

contract, and why would it have been done?