UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Lobbying

ATL_DANE

UB is at it again. They lobby and introduce legislation for their and ONLY their benefit. There are two thoughts here.

--The first is UB is full of itself and clearly doesn't care about SUNY.

--The second is UAlbany is going to have to defend itself against this increasing competition from the other SUNYs.

SUNY is not a family anymore. It's a fight and UA is losing.

http://www.buffalo.edu/news/9863

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wouldn't this legislation have a positive impact on all four SUNY centers? If the law was passed and it gave BU the necessary flexibility in order to chart their own course, why wouldn't it apply to SUNY Albany or SB?

This might be a worthwhile initiative to get behind, if it affords UA the same benefits.

Wouldn't this legislation have a positive impact on all four SUNY centers? If the law was passed and it gave BU the necessary flexibility in order to chart their own course, why wouldn't it apply to SUNY Albany or SB?

This might be a worthwhile initiative to get behind, if it affords UA the same benefits.

If they had half a brain, they would work toward the benefit of all four SUNY Centers. Clearly they don't give a F about the other 3 SUNY Centers... not even their peer "flagship" Stony Brook. The legislation is called "UB 2020 Flexibility and Economic Growth Act"

Does that sound like it supports all 4 SUNY Centers? No.

I'm fine with UB2020 trying to build itself up but not at the expense of other SUNY Centers.

President Simpson is a real piece of work. UA and BU got thrown under the bus by this guy. They add "flagship" to every communication that comes out of that dump. It just kills me. In many areas it makes sense that the SUNY Centers should be treated differently because of their research focus. They don't even look after their fellow "flagship" Stony Brook. What a bunch of A holes.

UA should not work with UB on any issues. UB does everything they can to knock the other SUNY Centers down. It's a losing strategy and if UB wants to get ahead they'll need friends.

I'm fine with UB2020 trying to build itself up but not at the expense of other SUNY Centers.

President Simpson is a real piece of work. UA and BU got thrown under the bus by this guy. They add "flagship" to every communication that comes out of that dump. It just kills me. In many areas it makes sense that the SUNY Centers should be treated differently because of their research focus. They don't even look after their fellow "flagship" Stony Brook. What a bunch of A holes.

UA should not work with UB on any issues. UB does everything they can to knock the other SUNY Centers down. It's a losing strategy and if UB wants to get ahead they'll need friends.

If you were in Simpson's position, would you try to help the other centers? I think not. our major problem is we don't have a permanent president to lobby for us. The centers all compete with each other for research dollars, state dollars students, etc., so we need to do our own lobbying. I am going to advocacy day this year. Can you give us an idea of what goes on there? I believe you said you attended last year.

I was consulting for GE (Schenectady) 4 days a week at this time last year. It was great because I was able to run at UA every night. Anyway, I skipped out of work an hour early the night of the UA Lobby Day. It was a great experience. There was free food and drinks. There were a lot of UA athletes in attendance. Pretty much all of the politicians were on hand and most gave a speech. You could make the case to the politicians for more funding for yourself. UA had a table for every project they wanted funding to. Not sure if I recall a stadium table, which was a mistake in hindsight. I spent time talking to Dean Lenard about the new business school.

In retrospect, they (and I) should have lobbied for the stadium harder. The academic projects come in good and bad times. Something like a stadium is significantly more difficult in tough times.

UA Day was a great experience. With 144,000 alumni it would be a disgrace to have less than 1,000 show up.

PS President Simpson is an A Hole. Don't make excuses for this guy.

I receive UB Believer emails, so I wanted to share a legislative update from the most recent email sent out Wednesday, in addition to a surprising placement of a UB2020 bill co-sponser to the Higher Ed. Committee announced today, Assemblyman Jack Quinn (R-Hamburg):

Quinn Supports UB2020 Plan; Joins NYS Higher Education Committee

Jim Tedisco spoke glowingly of Quinn's advocacy for UB2020 in the piece...is that a surprise to anyone? I'm not so familiar with his feelings toward UA and SUNY's future.

This from the email:

Believers—your voice is heard

At a recent hearing on the higher education budget, Assemblyman Jim Hayes asked H. Carl McCall, a member of the SUNY board of trustees, for SUNY's support of the reforms proposed in A.2020/S.2020. McCall said he'd like to see system-wide changes but that a demonstration for UB might be a good first step. Carl Hayden, chair of the board of trustees, added that he appreciated the bill and called it a terrific idea that it would be folly for SUNY not to exploit.

I receive UB Believer emails, so I wanted to share a legislative update from the most recent email sent out Wednesday, in addition to a surprising placement of a UB2020 bill co-sponser to the Higher Ed. Committee announced today, Assemblyman Jack Quinn (R-Hamburg):

Jim Tedisco spoke glowingly of Quinn's advocacy for UB2020 in the piece...is that a surprise to anyone? I'm not so familiar with his feelings toward UA and SUNY's future.

This from the email:

At a recent hearing on the higher education budget, Assemblyman Jim Hayes asked H. Carl McCall, a member of the SUNY board of trustees, for SUNY's support of the reforms proposed in A.2020/S.2020. McCall said he'd like to see system-wide changes but that a demonstration for UB might be a good first step. Carl Hayden, chair of the board of trustees, added that he appreciated the bill and called it a terrific idea that it would be folly for SUNY not to exploit.

I decided to let this post sit here for a few days so that Capitol District residents and the UAlbany community could see the arrogance of President Simpson. Instead of working with his fellow SUNY Centers or even the self-proclaimed fellow flagship, Stony Brook, SUNY Buffalo goes out on it's own. Once again SUNY Buffalo actively works to throw fellow SUNY Centers under the bus.

SUNY Buffalo will have to work much harder to right its ship. Bino is beating your pants off academically. Stony Brook is killing you in math and science. Albany is running the most successful college in SUNY history, in Albany Nano. The City of Buffalo has lost 1/2 of its residents in 50 years. Stealing money and power for SUNY Buffalo isn't going to make people want to move to the armpit of America.

Hey for college I want to go to Buffalo? Why not Detroit or Gaza?

UB should learn the lesson of greed and arrogance. I have written to the Capitol District legislative delegation and encouraged family, friends and alumni to do the same. This legislation as it currently stands should be REJECTED. The Long Island, Capital District and Central New York delegations should work to shut down the egotistical maniac in Buffalo. I will continue to work against UB.

Move over Siena, UA has found its true nemesis.

This from the email:

I decided to let this post sit here for a few days so that Capitol District residents and the UAlbany community could see the arrogance of President Simpson. Instead of working with his fellow SUNY Centers or even the self-proclaimed fellow flagship, Stony Brook, SUNY Buffalo goes out on it's own. Once again SUNY Buffalo actively works to throw fellow SUNY Centers under the bus.

SUNY Buffalo will have to work much harder to right its ship. Bino is beating your pants off academically. Stony Brook is killing you in math and science. Albany is running the most successful college in SUNY history, in Albany Nano. The City of Buffalo has lost 1/2 of its residents in 50 years. Stealing money and power for SUNY Buffalo isn't going to make people want to move to the armpit of America.

Hey for college I want to go to Buffalo? Why not Detroit or Gaza?

UB should learn the lesson of greed and arrogance. I have written to the Capitol District legislative delegation and encouraged family, friends and alumni to do the same. This legislation as it currently stands should be REJECTED. The Long Island, Capital District and Central New York delegations should work to shut down the egotistical maniac in Buffalo. I will continue to work against UB.

Move over Siena, UA has found its true nemesis.

I expected a strong response, but not one filled with insults and nothing pertaining to the post's points. My post contained no mention of Simpson. Yes, the UB2020 plan is his baby. But, this has moved quickly past Simpson's initial strong advocacy, such that the "Act" was crafted by Western New York's legislative leadership and all of our Assembly-persons and Senators spoke at the announcement of these bills. One of the co-sponsors was placed in a key committee because of his support for the plan, and Jim Tedisco from UA's backyard had no problem with it. SUNY Trustee Carl McCall and Chair Jim Hayden (private-school men with no connections to WNY) call it a "good first step" for change and a "folly for SUNY not to exploit". And UB gives all of us 4000+ 'UB Believers' a website with contacts, talking points, form-letters, everything to maximize getting the word out to our representatives. It's yours, and anyone else here, right to work individually against this, but besides a few statements from Philips against the flagships issue there is nothing heard from the Capital District or any other part of the state concerning fighting these bills. WNY's legislative leadership are taking hold of UB2020 because it's no-lose plan for economic development here, and the silence from every other part of the state and the other SUNY schools is deafening, either against UB2020 or formulating their own plans for institutional improvement.

As for your insults concerning UB academically, in whatever rankings you read, I say ho-hum. UB being an AAU member eases my mind just fine. What is being created here with the merging of UB's Medical programs and bioscience facilities with the 2 largest health-care systems in WNY into Great Lakes Health will likely dwarf Nano's economic impact. And if Buffalo (which lost most residents to the suburbs, not out-migration from the area) and UB are such armpits, akin to Detroit and Gaza, why is UB 11th in the country in the number of international students enrolled? Seems many like myself said, "College in Buffalo? Sure!" And if UB2020 comes to pass, 10,000 more every year will reply in the affirmative. You say UB will have to work much harder...but we have been and will continue to do so. What has UA planned?

You have international students because no American would voluntarily move to Buffalo. Nearly every New Yorker I run into down south is a former Buffalo resident. They're the first ones to tell you its a dying region. Simply put Buffalo sucks. I'd rather be in hell.

UB2020 will not save Buffalo. President Simpson is a power hungry nut.

If Albany, Binghamton and Stony Brook go along with allowing SUNY Buffalo to do a power grab they are just as crazy!

SUNY Buffalo sucks. No plan is going is going to change that!

What's going on here is very clear.

1)Buffalo has placed all its hopes in the local SUNY campus. It's a desperate last ditch plan that won't work.

2)Politicians from other regions are willing to sell out their SUNY Centers for political expediancy. UAlbany has been sold out by its own politicans.

Just because Tedisco may back the plan doesn't make it right. It also doesn't mean I and others won't fight it.

I have a large family and a lot of friends who love to write letters. Its time to fight this injustice.

I won't give up on UA, especially to President Simpson!

What's going on here is very clear.

1)Buffalo has placed all its hopes in the local SUNY campus. It's a desperate last ditch plan that won't work.

2)Politicians from other regions are willing to sell out their SUNY Centers for political expediancy. UAlbany has been sold out by its own politicans.

Just because Tedisco may back the plan doesn't make it right. It also doesn't mean I and others won't fight it.

I have a large family and a lot of friends who love to write letters. Its time to fight this injustice.

I won't give up on UA, especially to President Simpson!

1) Yep, you're right. Nothing else is going on here to save this rustbelt 'burgh so the city is pinning all it's hope on one plan, UB2020, alone to turn it around.

2)If that is the case...damn.

You can "hide" all the URLs you want in your message. I guess that passes as being smart at SUNY Buffalo? You must be a doctoral candidate?

The fact remains this is a naked power grab by a power hungry nut at the expense of the other SUNY Centers. The other SUNY Centers just don't have the advantage of being in a dying region and thus coercing their city fathers to back a huge building spree.

Do you really believe that given a choice between UCLA, UNC or SUNY Buffalo, some young academic is going to choose Buffalo? It isn't even the best rated SUNY Center. One could argue it's the 3 or 4th in that ranking.

Your equally crazy to come on this UA board and think UA fans are going to endorse sending millions of dollars to SUNY Buffalo while UA gets nothing!

It's just sad that state politicians are stealing funds from their region to support this ridiculous plan in exchange for votes. Last person out of Buffalo, turn off the lights.

Thanks UBBULLS for bringing this injustice to the UA community. No to 2020 without UA!

Here's his email address if SCHENECTADY and SARATOGA county residents want to contact him. Lucky for me I have a lot of family in the area :-)

tediscj@ assembly.state.ny.us

DISTRICT OFFICE

12 Jay Street

Schenectady, NY 12305

518-370-2812

Archived