UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Suero on Dominican Republic National Team

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched the game last night. With the caveat that I'm not a basketball analyst and this was the first live game I saw of the two teams..Nigeria's no slouch. DR looked a bit uninspired and missed way too many open looks..especially close to the basket. But Nigeria played extremely well inside..managed to win the rebounding battle..and were blocking shots all over the floor. Nigeria also only lost to Russia by 8 in their game prior to DR..so they can obviously play a bit.

I watched the game last night. With the caveat that I'm not a basketball analyst and this was the first live game I saw of the two teams..Nigeria's no slouch. DR looked a bit uninspired and missed way too many open looks..especially close to the basket. But Nigeria played extremely well inside..managed to win the rebounding battle..and were blocking shots all over the floor. Nigeria also only lost to Russia by 8 in their game prior to DR..so they can obviously play a bit.

Nigeria also has a few NBA guys on that team I believe according to a tweet I saw from one of the ESPN writers. I think Ford...

"Very few people had Nigeria penciled in to even make it this far, as Nigeria is making its first-ever Olympic berth in basketball. 2012 is the first year that two African teams have made the Olympics.

The Nigerians were able to overcome the heavily favored Dominicans, who were coached by John Calipari and featured Atlanta Hawks All-Star Al Horford, primarily on the strength of their front line.

Ike Diogu, a five-year NBA veteran who appeared in only two games last season, was dominant, with a 25/10 double-double, including a few back-breaking threes late in the fourth quarter. He was aided by Al-Farouq Aminu, a raw but extremely athletic young forward for the New Orleans Hornets who battled Horford to a draw for most of the game."

Ike Diogu is a scrub at best.

With John Calipari and Al Horford...you should be winning these games. Seems like Horford didn't really show or was inspired...pick one.

Agreed that Horford didn't play that well. He was the main one missing too many gimmies near the basket. 'Heavily' favored is of course a bit subjective..but I saw DR favored anywhere from 1-6 points going in. Not exactly something I would deem 'heavy.'

Didn't hear a thing about the nba draft, and I assume nothing to note.

Being drafted was a pretty long shot and didn't happen. Best bet now? Try to sign with the Cairns Taipans. A Jamar Wilson, Suero backcourt!

I hope he does not embarrass UA. Probably will not play much anyway. I said when he left, he was no way ready for the pro's (at any level) and I have not seen anything that makes me want to change my mind. He was a work in progress his year @UA and I still say another year would have done him A LOT of good. I know this may sound like sour grapes but if you refer to my comments at the time {his leaving hurts him more than us/UA} and I still feel the same way now. Anyhow, I hope he gets in the game and UA mentioned--even bad publicity is good.