UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Athletic Fundraising

UAFAN

How Mark Benson will fill seats at UAlbany's football stadium

http://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2014/11/20/how-mark-benson-will-fill-seats-at-ualbanys.html?page=all

In his first year, Benson plans to change how the sports department sells season tickets. He's working with the University at Albany Foundation, the fundraising arm of the university, to form an athletic development foundation with the larger organization.

Once a branded external group is formed, UAlbany will tie individual's givings into the benefits they can get as season ticket holders. He says the department will broaden its marketing efforts to reach beyond current and former season ticket holders and into the alumni and business communities.

Benson has set the goal of selling all the tickets for UAlbany's 'Gold Circle,' the 600 midfield seats with the chair backs at the football stadium for the next football season. Of the 600 tickets, 200 have been sold to-date.

Figured this was coming. One of my many concerns is the Athletic Department's record keeping. Do they actually know that I've been a season ticket holder since at least 2000.........probably not.

I'm planning on reviewing the season ticket holder/donor system at other CAA & SUNY Centers in the near future. Off the top of my head I would like to see points awarded for the following:

Season Ticket Purchases for multiple sports

Alumni

Faculty/Staff

Game Attendance (home & away)

Apparel Purchases

Longevity

Referrals

With 2 kids I can't write them a check for 5 figures, but I buy season tickets, parking passes, attend the games, give through the UAlbany Fund, buy the T-Shirts, sweatshirts, hats, etc.

Donations will rank much higher than buying season tickets. Alums, Faculty and Staff are going to have to accept the reality that Athletic programs cost a lot of money and need to generate that money. Whomever provides those funds will get points. Season ticket holders will definitely earn some, but it certainly won't move anyone to the head of the class. Attending the away games probably won't count too much in points, but are always appreciated by the teams.

Donations will rank much higher than buying season tickets. Alums, Faculty and Staff are going to have to accept the reality that Athletic programs cost a lot of money and need to generate that money. Whomever provides those funds will get points. Season ticket holders will definitely earn some, but it certainly won't move anyone to the head of the class. Attending the away games probably won't count too much in points, but are always appreciated by the teams.

Such is life in Division I.

Indeed, and welcomed.

That said, I think something else needs to be highlighted from the article, and is also highly welcomed:

The university will also look to corporate or individual giving to finance upgrades at SEFCU arena, where a new video board could parlay further corporate sponsorship and help teams recruit athletes, as well as at UAlbany's other athletic facilities.

"You can pretty much look at any of our facilities and we have some really, really great ones and we have some that need some improvements and we have some that need an overhaul," he says. "From a facilities standpoint, over the next several years, that's going to be a big initiative, upgrading our facilities."

Edited by Dane96