UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ODU fans complaining about THEIR QB play.

Could see that coming during the game. He had the 55 TD pass when we pulled within 7 late. I thought we had good coverage on that play, their receiver was bigger than our DB and made a nice play. Other than that, he wasn't impressive.

Give Brunson 3-4 games before setting him on fire. I'm just going to say the following once, and leave it at that...interpret all you want:

1. The kid now has 3...yes 3 games under his belt.

2. We were playing a really strong defensive line

3. We had a young O-Line

4. Brunson was not very good to start the game, not at all.

5. The announcers weren't exactly right in the first half...he didn't have all of these pockets that they claimed

6. Throwing a slick ball 'aint easy...but I will leave that one to Danefan to comment on because frankly, I don't truly know how much better Brunson should have been tossing in the rain.

7. The real problem is Joe Bernard- putting all our QB's, for years, into very obvious passing downs is not going to help. It allows the D-Line to pin their ears back and come full bore...and allows the secondary much...much too much easy ability to set themselves up to defend the pass.

That was a straight baptism by fire game for many.

The good news is:

1) The O-Line improved...but wore down at the end of the game, and Brunson took the brunt of that. The O-Line will be good

2) Brunson improved in the second half...and not against the 3rd and 4th teams from ODU. He was playing against the starters and 2nd teamers. His accuracy needs to be better....but in the 2nd half he was 10-17 for for 118 yards. That's a lot better than the 3 for 12 for 42 yards, in the first half.

3) Mofor is an absolute beast. We may have a 2nd superstar on the squad.

Let's also dispel any Testerverde notions. 1) The kid 'aint eligible; and 2) He was a walk-on at all the schools he went to and barely saw the field.

I'm willing to see if Brunson has better games against Morgan State and Monmouth...and then the big test vs. 'Nova. Those games will tell us what we have or don't have.

As for the future, Jeff Undercuffler is coming (strong verbal)...and he's a big 6'6" 220 lb QB (who will likely need a RS year) who can throw. Unfortunately, Hudl seams to have gone private on videos now. Here's an interview with him for Baseball (he was a D-1 baseball recruit who has made the decision to go football only).

https://twitter.com/jcuff13?lang=en

http://www.burlingtoncountytimes.com/videos/hsgameon/game-on-inside-the-game-holy-cross-pitcher-jeff-undercuffler/html_15a1418a-2ace-5e62-8ab6-f017c1b3ddea.html

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1

I think it's a good sign that he recognizes he didn't do well and thinks he should be better

UAlbany football rallies, then falls to ODU

But how much can we expect from a QB with the fearsome nickname of "Yum Yum"

Why UAlbany's starting QB is called "Yum Yum"

Virginian-Pilot: Monarchs outlast stubborn Albany

Homecoming for Benson

Just got home...was expecting far worse than 31-13 so kudos to the team. Hopefully we can take out the lower level competition...if QB is our only issue, I guess we can work with that and try to fix it.

It's like when it comes to cars...it's either fast, cheap or reliable...you can only have 2 of the 3. In UA football, it's good defense, good run game, good passing game...you can only have two of those it seems lol.

Eli, final was 31-17. At one point ODU had the ball on their own 30 with 8 mins left. I'm pretty sure it was 2nd and 11 or something. They ran a sort of swing pass screen and the D read it so well and swarmed the guy. We had ALL the momentum. Well on that play our defender caught the receivers facemask for a 15 yard penalty. That got them out to the 45. Next play was a bomb down the left side that their WR out-jumped the CB for and he took it to the house. Without that facemask, which I don't blame the kid for since it happened so fast, I think we had a shot at winning the game. The team was pumped, the D was playing well and the offense started to click a good bit. It was fun to watch.

Sorry, typo. I saw that it was 17.

7. The real problem is Joe Bernard- putting all our QB's, for years, into very obvious passing downs is not going to help. It allows the D-Line to pin their ears back and come full bore...and allows the secondary much...much too much easy ability to set themselves up to defend the pass.

I think I asked this before but I remember being dumbfounded when Gattuso first arrived and announced his staff. I remember seeing that our OC was actually a former defensive coach. Was that Bernard? Is that still the case? If so, makes no sense to me...maybe this has been answered already (and perhaps to me?) but how is that logical?

Edit: just looked it up. He has 11 years of defensive coordinator experience prior to UA. Perhaps we should get an offensive coordinator...for the offense? . That makes about as much sense as hiring Rex Ryan to run the Patriots offense...in my opinion...but I never played organized sports so what do I know...

He was an OC one year before coming to UA. 2013. For a HS in SC. Not even at the D1 level. HS. lol.

This explains why we run a slant route over the middle like.....0.01% of the time.

Edited by Eli

Couple things mentioned on the ODU forum

ODU had 18 completions but five were to Duhart and only one other to a WR. Ten were to RBs and two to a tight end. Pads the completion %.

They had two runs of 41 and 28 yards. Otherwise they gained 29 yards net on 29 carries

• Like 1