UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Time to Prep for Next Year

Both Smith and Dilella should both see AT LEAST a half of play versus Wagner. I'd say give them 3 quarters of the game.

There's alot riding on winning next years championship. The last 2 weeks were a serious wakeup

call, that we may not be as good as we think. We are losing ALOT of leaders on this team.

Next years starters/leaders NEED the experience and need the field time.

The more playing time they get, the easier it is for them to understand what it takes to be successful, in addition to knowing how hard they need to work and prepare in practice. Like you guys are saying, there's no comparison from high school/practice to d1 fcs football.

Saturday's performance was sad. There's a chance that anyone can beat anyone any given day, but we were a NO SHOW. Sad day on senior's day.

We can still take a share of the nec title, right?

If monmouth or St francis beats ccsu, and we beat wagner, we will take a share of the title. Of course, if ccsu beat monmouth, I'd say we have NO CHANCE. If that's the case, then the playing time scenerio above should be unquestioned.

Even if monmouth beats ccsu, I'm conflicted about giving espo any more than a quarter. Next years playoff bid is pretty damn important.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Holy mother of g-d...see, we agree on more than we let on to ;)

You said it perfectly and succintly-- NEXT YEAR HAS A WHOLE LOT MORE RIDING ON IT THAN SENIOR PRIDE AND LOYALTY THIS YEAR. There is only one FIRST- FIRST NEC PLAYOFF REP! Z

That game will mean a ton both financially and athletically (recruiting) to the NEC school that goes to that game. And if we could win a first round game...$iena...that is recruiting gold.

Thank god I'm not alone anymore. I started to feel like an jerk last week.

Next year is sooooo important to this program. More likely than not, the winner of the NEC champion will be paired up against the winner of the Patriot League in the first round of the playoffs next year. Winning that game on ESPN will be a bigger recruiting, media and fundraising boost for the program. All the focus should be on that from now on.

Well said gentlemen.

It would be a different story if we were still undefeated,

and shooting for another undefeated nec championship. It

would be hard NOT keeping those guys in to accomplish

another amazing goal.

But, the chance was there for those accomplishments and it just didn't materialize.

The seniors have been in EVERY game, and haven't been neglected.

There are no records to break, team wise or individual wise.

There's only one game left, and they should start...

but should give WAY to the future by the end of the 1st quarter.

No complaints with McCarty. Give him his carries, unless he is less then 100% feed him all afternoon as Wagner is not great against the run. You give the ball a bunch to #10 as a tailback and as a QB. Throw to Booker on every other down. Get some of those monsters in on O line. The experiment is over...Bigger is better at this level!!! Every offensive lineman that plays should be no lighter then 290, except Center.

Get some of our younger more athletic types in the secondary some playing time. Casale and Nicomini have been great. We need more pressure as Robert Morris picked us apaart on the winning drive. If they are scholarship level players it will shine through.

Does anyone have any idea if this DiLella kid is on a ride or if he is a "starter" going forward?

I have heard he is the front-runner with Smith at RB, unless a RB emerges. I find it shocking they have no great young RB's since there are a bunch on the roster. Tristan Akong is not overly quick...but he is fast.

They need to bring in a QB and RB with this class.

Some people keep stating theres is a Frosh QB Red-shirting...and the only one it could be (unless there is a non-roster kid out there) is Buddy L. I never thought of him as the future...but maybe he has grown (hell, McCarty did at RB).

If Dan D. can get some snaps...grow...and be a threat to fire the ball down field...this team could be dynamic with Smith at RB and Wildcat.

I have heard he is the front-runner with Smith at RB, unless a RB emerges. I find it shocking they have no great young RB's since there are a bunch on the roster. Tristan Akong is not overly quick...but he is fast.

Some people keep stating theres is a Frosh QB Red-shirting...and the only one it could be (unless there is a non-roster kid out there) is Buddy L. I never thought of him as the future...but maybe he has grown (hell, McCarty did at RB).

If Dan D. can get some snaps...grow...and be a threat to fire the ball down field...this team could be dynamic with Smith at RB and Wildcat.

Leathey is small (6'1, 185lbs) but he didn't get some decent FBS interest in high school by the likes of MAC teams and lower-end Big East (Cuse and UConn). He's got a year of experience at a good prep school (Bridgton Academy) and maybe that will give him an edge. I can't imagine he adds anything under center that Andrew Smith doesn't offer so I can't really see have 2 running QBs in the game. We need a passing QB or teams are going to just load up on us.

Danefan, that is exactly my point. Teams loaded up on us last year but due to our size upfront we were able to run the ball. This year teams load up and we struggle running as well. See Bryant and Robert Morris games. They dont fear the pass at all. We need size upfront and a qb that can throw. Not a big fan of the platoon qb system(I know you dealt with that) but would be willing if we had @ qbs that played to their respective strtenghts.

Danefan, that is exactly my point. Teams loaded up on us last year but due to our size upfront we were able to run the ball. This year teams load up and we struggle running as well. See Bryant and Robert Morris games. They dont fear the pass at all. We need size upfront and a qb that can throw. Not a big fan of the platoon qb system(I know you dealt with that) but would be willing if we had @ qbs that played to their respective strtenghts.

I'm not against platooning if each QB offers something different (e.g. a running QB and a passing QB).

It's counterproductive to platoon, IMO, when you have 2 qbs with the same skills. That's what I dealt with. I don't think platooning be used as a way to decide a QB controversy. Neither gets any rhythm or raport with the team.

Leathey is small (6'1, 185lbs) but he didn't get some decent FBS interest in high school by the likes of MAC teams and lower-end Big East (Cuse and UConn). He's got a year of experience at a good prep school (Bridgton Academy) and maybe that will give him an edge. I can't imagine he adds anything under center that Andrew Smith doesn't offer so I can't really see have 2 running QBs in the game. We need a passing QB or teams are going to just load up on us.

From what I have heard from alot of player is that Leathley may have the best arm on the team . I am not concearned about size at the quarterback position in our offense , what we need is a play maker . I have seen alot of practices and we have three differant types of quarterbacks . Dan Dilella is a drop back pocket style quarterback / Andrew Smith is an excellent runner as we know with an average arm but needs to learn to let plays develope before running . Buddy Leathley has excellent feet and a strong arm , throws well on the run but needs alot more reps with our offense . All that being said The coaching staff will have to adjust whom ever gets the nod . My quess is that andrew will be a combination running back/Hback and Spring practice and a spring game will decide the QB.

From what I have heard from alot of player is that Leathley may have the best arm on the team . I am not concearned about size at the quarterback position in our offense , what we need is a play maker . I have seen alot of practices and we have three differant types of quarterbacks . Dan Dilella is a drop back pocket style quarterback / Andrew Smith is an excellent runner as we know with an average arm but needs to learn to let plays develope before running . Buddy Leathley has excellent feet and a strong arm , throws well on the run but needs alot more reps with our offense . All that being said The coaching staff will have to adjust whom ever gets the nod . My quess is that andrew will be a combination running back/Hback and Spring practice and a spring game will decide the QB.

I too am not totally concerned with size at the QB spot so long as the QB is an accurate passer and has the arm to throw mid-range outs (~15 yarders). If Leathey can get that done, then his size shouldn't hold him back.

That was my question... how much of a pocket passer is Andrew Smith, and how is his arm?

If he has an average arm, and isn't much of a pocket qb, then I'd worry about him being the main qb.

We need a pure passer. A sharp shooter.

Can't have a non-throwing, running only qb running the show.

That was my question... how much of a pocket passer is Andrew Smith, and how is his arm?

If he has an average arm, and isn't much of a pocket qb, then I'd worry about him being the main qb.

The TD Smith threw against Monmouth was pretty impressive.

But, with all the direct snaps he's gotten, McCarthy hasn't really had him pass, which says something. If they felt comfortable with him throwing, he probably would have had more chances seeing as how that would have opened up the run with him.

The TD Smith threw against Monmouth was pretty impressive.

But, with all the direct snaps he's gotten, McCarthy hasn't really had him pass, which says something. If they felt comfortable with him throwing, he probably would have had more chances seeing as how that would have opened up the run with him.

As fans and poster we are always looking a what players can physically bring to the table . I would be interesting to know what leadership these players show .I think at the QB position leadership , respect of players and coaches is just as important . Does anyone have any input on that

Archived