UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[FB] 2017 Season Review...where do we go from here?

Just gonna go ahead and get a jump on this...let's have it folks. What ya got? What's in store for next year? Do have ANY supreme talents on the bench red shirting who'll play import roles next year? What do we do with the coaching staff? Do we call for changes as a fan base or do we let the chips fall wherever they may?

Possible positives: 1) EB will be back and in 2016 form (we can only hope)

2) The O Line, with an entire season under their belts and possibly Solt and Verdi in the lineup, will be better....(we can only hope)

3) Brunson is better than last year and will make a huge leap in 2018 or they caught lightning in a bottle and Testaverde gives us one year of decent QB play.

4) There will be some significant Defensive losses, but the line should be strong, there appears to be some fine talent coming in at LB and DB...I think Clark is doing a terrific job.

5) Bernard is replaced with a legit OC (otherwise GG is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic and Rose will not find a door to float on)...clearly GG and the AD see what we see.

6) Recruiters press hard for a quality JUCO QB.

I don't think we wield the power as fans or monetary supporters to call for change. This isn't exactly the Alabama Booster Club we're talking about. Still, they need our money to build and our

attendance to legitimize, so making some noise is an option. Benson is used to winning and when one of your three most visible athletic lynchpins isn't firing on all cylinders it's got to attract attention.

Fans will tolerate the occasional bad game, but when your team is in an 0-6 run and can't put an offensive TD on the board in three of those games, the problem is quite obvious and needs attention.

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 1

Certainly a disappointing season. Lost a lot of close games and at times, looked really good. Defense played well overall but it's tough to keep it up with such little help from the offense.

That said, i don't think we're far off from being a playoff contender.

1. At OL, Desir will be back (hopefully), Verdi and Solt will both be RS freshmen and i'd guess all three will be capable of starting

2.QB has at least two new competitors in Testaverde and incoming freshman Undercuffler.

3. Will be tough for Coach Gattuso to bring in a new coordinator as that would mean losing at least one of his buddies and probably more as a new OC would probably bring in his own staff including a new OL coach. That said, i don't see how he has a choice. Maybe the stupulation is that he keep Sweeney??

4. I think they were trying to get another year for Diggs - would be great if that worked out. He and McDonald are the best playmakers we've had since i can remember.

5. We lose Hoskins, Hatalsky and Robinson on defense but there will be some very good young players available - Metheny is getting a lot of minutes at LB the last few weeks and has looked good, Isaiah Watson was a top recruit last year will be coming off a redshirt year...

6. Will be interesting to see what happens at RB with Mofor and Hanks - i think Mofor has run well when he's had holes...

I also think we have the easiest CAA schedule next year so we have that going for us.

• Like 1

If interested, see my post in Delaware thread. Fire hime now.

A couple additional points: EB might not be coming back at all [rumor 50 - 50.]

Brunson has had a shoulder issue all year. Watching him in the Delaware game, he had absolutely no zip @ all on the ball. It looked like he was throwing into a gale force wind {graphic on the tv showed a wind speed of 1mph.} He lobs or floats almost every pass, hoping the receiver can run under it or out leap an opponent. At first I thought this was just his style, but have concluded he simply does not have the arm strength to play qb. Coach says, Brunson tells him he can play threw the injury. Coach should be able to see, what we all see; Brunson has no arm strength.

Brunson has had a shoulder issue all year. Watching him in the Delaware game, he had absolutely no zip @ all on the ball. It looked like he was throwing into a gale force wind {graphic on the tv showed a wind speed of 1mph.} He lobs or floats almost every pass, hoping the receiver can run under it or out leap an opponent. At first I thought this was just his style, but have concluded he simply does not have the arm strength to play qb. Coach says, Brunson tells him he can play threw the injury. Coach should be able to see, what we all see; Brunson has no arm strength.

1. Additional info on EB not coming back?

2. I remember a quote after the New Hampshire win last year where Coach Gattuso said Brunson didn't have an issue arm strength but that he threw a very catchable ball. When you watch enough games, i'm not sure how anyone can conclude that it's not arm strength - maybe an injury but he clearly has an issue with velocity.

First order of business has to be to figure out what to do with this staff.

I'd fire All of them... They have run this program straight into the ground. These are all Gattusos kids. He can't recruit or coach critical positions. He always pins the blame on the kids he recruited and ran out there. Note it's never Bernard's fault...his bff. He inherited a program with more resources than ever, brand new and beautiful facility, scholarship that we've never had. Coaches salaries that we've never payed before etc. He's proceeded to squander all of these advantages. He's been here for close to a half a decade, this is HIS talent, this is HIS ol as much as this coward wants to run from it. These are HIS receivers... These are HIS qbs, not one of which can throw the ball.

So first you figure what to do with him and then let the chips fall where they may. This man is a loser! What will change next year? He still has no players at key positions like qb. His wr are average at best... The ol we are praying is going to be reinforced with MORE freshman.

Fire this scrub!

Interesting on Brunson. I've said he's had an arm issue all year (he had one last year), and his INT's are mostly under thrown balls.

He's a poor man's Chad Pennington with the arm strength.

If that's the case, why are we running him out there? I don't care what a player says if I'm a coach...if he's not performing on the field (likely due to his injury) you sit him on the bench. The fact that the coaches are allowing him to go out there injured and it's resulting in a clearly underwhelming offense is a HUGE red flag on the state of the program. Is the QB cupboard really that bare that we don't even have a backup to the injured starter that we even REMOTELY trust to make plays? This goes to what Click said...these are HIS players. His job is pretty much down to him being able to (or not as has been the case) recruit talent. In his defense, he did build a nice defense but that's worthless because our offense is a constant 3-and-out. To draw a comparison to my Jets, it's like when Rex Ryan was coach...great D, terrible O = D on the field 75% of the time = losses.

I have more to say but I'll bite my tongue so to speak for now.

This year has been an utter disaster and changes NEED to be made from the top on down.

Edited by Eli

As for whether or not we have any say...

I think we have a little say, more than some folks realize. If season ticket holders (not just the ones on this forum) all emailed tomorrow and said that we won't renew if X doesn't happen...I'd like our chances of seeing X happen. Whether or not some people will admit it...they (those running the program) answer to us. Or rather, they answer to our wallets. Maybe I have visions of grandeur in that sense, but I truly feel that way.

I am pretty sure someone high up in the athletic department reads this blog. They obviously do not always do what we like; but they listen. They are the experts and must ultimately answer to the school, the state, and the community; and of course should NOT treat this blog as gospel. We are a factor in their decision making process and that is really all we should be. So for what it is worth and if you are indeed following this blog, I am reprinting a comment made in the Delaware game thread:

GG must go NOW. He claims he is building a program. He inherited a dynasty! The jump from Northeast to CAA is/was not really all that large. What 20 more scholarships, big deal. Ford made jumps from Club, to DIII, to DII, to DI non scholarship, to DI scholarship and never missed a beat. Winning conferences, tournaments and bowl games at all levels; often beating teams "above" our pay scale. GG was handed a dynasty, a brand new stadium, and 20 additional scholarships too work with. All he had to do was tweak things a little. If the jump from NE to CAA was all that large, why do BOTH leagues compete for the same national championship. It is/was NOT like we were jumping into power five and bowl division.

As stated, we on this blog have little/no say. My little says FIRE HIM NOW!

Edited by dslyank

I am as big a fan as anybody, having played for Coach Ford years ago and I have had season tickets for a while now. I gotta say the jump to the CAA was a HUGE jump - I know some of Coaches that were with Ford for years - played with a couple. They were expecting a difference but were still somewhat surprised in the difference in speed and athleticism that came with that step up. 20 more scholarships makes a HUGE difference! Nuff said

Having said all of that I gotta say they need a new offensive Coordinator. Other teams in the league have first year coaches working with mostly the same teams as played last year and were successful. No question the play calling was very suspect at best. Brunson is obviously not the answer at QB. Need someone who is consistant, has a better arm and throws well - other teams have freshman who are better. BUT the O line will be better next year with the experience and with the two red-shirts probably starting. They need a couple of new guys to come in who are BIG but who have fast feet - the guys we have now are BIG but their feet are slow. First I have heard about the Hanks thing - he is a different caliber runner than Mofor - sorry to say it but that is obvious. THAT will be a huge loss if true.

Jeff Undercuffler from NJ, who has committed at QB, is huge 6'6" and 220. No idea about his arm but there are videos. Need a couple of the red shirt defensive players to be studs or for a couple of new guys or Jr college guys to come in who are studs.

• Like 1

Interesting on Brunson. I've said he's had an arm issue all year (he had one last year), and his INT's are mostly under thrown balls.

He's a poor man's Chad Pennington with the arm strength.

If that's the case, why are we running him out there? I don't care what a player says if I'm a coach...if he's not performing on the field (likely due to his injury) you sit him on the bench. The fact that the coaches are allowing him to go out there injured and it's resulting in a clearly underwhelming offense is a HUGE red flag on the state of the program. Is the QB cupboard really that bare that we don't even have a backup to the injured starter that we even REMOTELY trust to make plays? This goes to what Click said...these are HIS players. His job is pretty much down to him being able to (or not as has been the case) recruit talent. In his defense, he did build a nice defense but that's worthless because our offense is a constant 3-and-out. To draw a comparison to my Jets, it's like when Rex Ryan was coach...great D, terrible O = D on the field 75% of the time = losses.

I have more to say but I'll bite my tongue so to speak for now.

This year has been an utter disaster and changes NEED to be made from the top on down.

Jets suck. Jets will always suck. Go Pats

As for the EIH rumors, where did you hear whatever you heard - dslyank?

Edited by uofalbany

Perhaps rumor is the wrong word. My comment comes from two different interviews by Gattuso. In each, he talked about the injury being more than just physical and whether Hanks could do the mental things necessary to return. In one of the interviews he said when and IF he comes back. He was probably talking about this year at the time, but I sensed a hidden longer meaning also.In another interview Gattuso made the comment that Hanks kind of does his "OWN" thing in his own way. Also, many on this blog have used the "If" word when talking about Hanks. I DO NOT have any inside information and have used the 50 - 50 reference based on inferences and not on knowledge of the situation. I am sorry if I created undue fears; but I will say NO ONE from the team has ever said Hanks WILL absolutely be back; and there has never been a clarification on his red shirt status.

Edited by dslyank

Perhaps rumor is the wrong word. My comment comes from two different interviews by Gattuso. In each, he talked about the injury being more than just physical and whether Hanks could do the mental things necessary to return. In one of the interviews he said when and IF he comes back. He was probably talking about this year at the time, but I sensed a hidden longer meaning also.In another interview Gattuso made the comment that Hanks kind of does his "OWN" thing in his own way. Also, many on this blog have used the "If" word when talking about Hanks.

I guess I had a slightly different take on those comments. I thought he was talking about coming back from injury like that. It's a lot of rehab to come back from surgery. There are bound to be some issues after a long layoff - partly trusting the reconfigured knee and partly in the back of your mind, not wanting to go through that whole process again with another injury.

I always though EIH coming back this year was a really ambitious goal and honestly credit him for trying.

• Like 1