UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Possible New NCAA MBB rules - Testing at NIT

College basketball: Experimental rules approved for 2017 NIT

Team fouls to reset after 10 minutes in each half

Greg Johnson | NCAA.com

Last Updated - Feb 13, 2017 11:03 EST

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved experimental rules that will reset team fouls to zero at the end of 10-minute segments of each half in the upcoming 2017 NIT postseason tournament.

The panel also approved experimental rules that will reset the shot clock to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds at times when the ball is inbounded in the front court during games in the NIT.

In the experimental rule regarding resetting the team fouls, the one-and-one free throw bonus will not occur. Instead, teams will shoot two free throws in the following examples:

Each team is limited to a team total of four personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) during each 10-minute segment of each half.

The first 10-minute segment of each half will begin when the ball becomes live to begin the half and will end when the game clock reads 10:00. The second segment will begin when the game clock reads 9:59 and ends when the half ends.

When a team has reached the four-foul limitation, all subsequent personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

Each teams foul total will reset to zero when any 10-minute segment has ended.

The rules regarding penalties for fouls in the act of shooting, flagrant fouls or technical fouls will not be affected by this experimental rule and will always result in two free throws unless the rules specifically say otherwise.

In any overtime period, when a team has reached a total of three personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls), all subsequent personal and technical fouls will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

The NCAA Mens Basketball Rules Committee has heard discussion in the college basketball community about possibly changing games to four 10-minute quarters instead of two 20-minute halves. One of the main reasons for contemplating the possible change is to allow for the team fouls to be reset to zero at the end of each 10-minute quarter.

The committee believes resetting the team fouls to zero at the 9:59 mark of each half may have the same effect as resetting the team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, while at the same time allowing for mens college basketball to retain the unique format of two 20-minute halves.

In the other experimental rule, the shot clock will remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 20 seconds, whichever is greater, at any time any of the following occurs:

-A personal foul by the defense, which results in no free throws, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

-Any technical foul assessed against the defense, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

-The game is stopped for a bleeding player or blood on a uniform and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

The NCAA Mens Basketball Rules Committee wants to see if resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds when the offensive team is taking the ball out of bounds in the front court will increase the number of possessions for each team over the course of a full game, which may also increase scoring.

Experimenting with these rules changes during the 31 games played in the 2017 NIT will provide valuable information for the Mens Basketball Rules Committee to review during its May 2017 meeting. The committee will allow other postseason tournaments to use the experimental rules as well if the tournaments agree to gather the appropriate data for review by the committee.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-02-13/college-basketball-experimental-rules-approved-2017-nit

Edited by MRSGDG

Just do four quarters then like in the NBA. Why are they so adamant on keeping that stupid halves format?

Because it's not the stupid NBA?

lol...someone is a hater :P. You the guy who complains about the NBA commercials on ESPN broadcasts? Have seen that posted a few times but can't remember which member it was lol.
College basketball, whether you agree or not, is a farm system for the NBA (yes, I know about the D-League). Maybe not in the AE, but as a general whole (SEC, ACC, BIG10, etc.). The rules and basics of how a game is organized, IMO, should be 100% a copy of the NBA's. For better or for worse. And that's coming from someone who used to live and breathe NBA basketball 1000x more than college ball...but has only watched 1 game (and only 80% of it) this season. I dislike the jump ball arrow. I dislike the ability to throw the ball over the back court line from the sideline after the ball has crossed the line the previous play (small caveat in the NBA but generally that is the rule). Etc.
<long post, read at your discretion>
This is a silly idea. You know what will happen if this becomes 'a thing', right? Those stupid AE refs (lookin at you LAUBENSTEIN) will start calling the game even tighter to get teams on the line and it'll actually SLOW the game down, IMO.
Currently, UA opponents have committed 501 fouls against us. For S&G's, that's 18.5 per game or 9.28 per half. As a result, we've been to the line 522 times or 19.3 times per game or 9.7 times per half. By (basically) lowering that 10 foul limit to 8 for the half or 4 for each 'quarter' these numbers will only go up...thus slowing down the game. They should just do what the NBA does...5 fouls allowed per quarter and have 10 (or 12) minute quarters. That should send less teams to the line generally speaking and result in a faster game. This is going to have the opposite effect of what is intended. The intended effect is less teams living at the line, thus a faster game, because the fouls get reset...but I don't trust the refs in this league or in this level of competition to do that with any great consistency.
The NCAA (and NBA) wants 100pt games to make it 'exciting'. There is nothing exciting about not being able to watch a good defense shut a team down ala 90's NBA. I'd prefer more physical play or more of a 'let them play' approach and a relaxation of rules...not rules like this.
Call me a conspiracy theorist but I've seen enough blatantly wrong calls (live and on TV) that I'm already seeing the ramifications of this. This is going to further make the game harder to watch, just like the rules they initiated this year for contact. You basically can't play defense in the post. Now we'll watch a free throw parade is this goes through. YAY!
Edited by Eli

Just do four quarters then like in the NBA. Why are they so adamant on keeping that stupid halves format?

Because it's not the stupid NBA?

lol...someone is a hater :P. You the guy who complains about the NBA commercials on ESPN broadcasts? Have seen that posted a few times but can't remember which member it was lol.

I'll take credit for that. Those commercials are an assault on the senses.

Some things labeled 'art' should be burned to ash.

As for rules changes and nba/college game comparisons.....

let's keep the 20 minute halves and keep the uniqueness it brings to college basketball.

The less it resembles the nba, the better.

The problem with rule changes, the ncaa seems to put them in whether they work or not and they become law defacto. Point the "no charge arc."

It was designed to (1) increase scoring overall, (2) increase scoring opportunities for "bigs" and scoring in the paint and (3) reduce violent play. I think it has totally failed on all three counts as well as caused a lot more confusion on the charge call (a call that was tough enough even before the arc).

Maybe one of you stat junkies can prove me wrong, but I [my opinion] just do not see it as accomplishing any of it goals; yet it remains.

• Like 1

The problem with rule changes, the ncaa seems to put them in whether they work or not and they become law defacto. Point the "no charge arc."

It was designed to (1) increase scoring overall, (2) increase scoring opportunities for "bigs" and scoring in the paint and (3) reduce violent play. I think it has totally failed on all three counts as well as caused a lot more confusion on the charge call (a call that was tough enough even before the arc).

Maybe one of you stat junkies can prove me wrong, but I [my opinion] just do not see it as accomplishing any of it goals; yet it remains.

I find that most of these 'ticky tacky' rule changes which are meant to clean up the game are actually a detriment to the game. They slow it down or give the refs more 'points of emphasis' which they screw up more (I mean, I understand they are human but how can 3 people collectively make the same mistake over and over and over?).

Case in point, the new post points of emphasis instituted this year. I dunno, I'm of the old school mentality that unless you're bleeding or get sent in a completely different direction due to a hit, it's not a foul. Particularly down low. Let them play. Let a guy put two hands on a player when he's getting backed down. Those kinds of rules are just useless IMO and promote scoring but it only results in a ton of low post fouls and a free throw parade or guys like Stire basically starting the game with 4 fouls (lol).

Obviously I use the current system to my advantage by getting on the refs for every small thing (because that's what I have to 'work with') and some of you hear me doing it but the basketball I grew up watching and the basketball I watch now are pretty different. I wouldn't mind more of a relax rules stance.

Edited by Eli