UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

The Budget Shaft

GreatDanes06

I think we need to move the discussion here instead of keeping it in the Ford/Coughlin Thread. However, I recommend you skim that thread to understand the pure frustration and cold-hard feelings many alumni of this university have today, especially those who want to see our athletic department prosper and get what is so rightfully deserves.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll pick it up here instead of posting in the other thread. As D96 said, I'm also putting fingers to keyboard and sending e-mails. Canastrari said the flagship designation won't happen if UA isn't included.....it's time you have your voice be heard. Lip service is nice (from the governor etc) but the numbers show a very different reality.

let me repeat some positives I red...

I am very happy to see that the University is going to get money for a Cancer Research facility and even more upgrades, including a new power substation.

Heck I am glad that we are even getting the money for the lighting. UA's Baseball and Softball programs deserve that if that is where it is going to...HOWEVER, THAT FUNDING IS 3-4 YEARS LATE!

I repeat my opinion from before...I hope those who sent letters to the TU and were crying about the state even giving partial funding for a new football stadium cry just as much about Stony Brook getting $22 million to make improvements to a fully functional basketball arena and a not even 10 year old football/lacrosse stadium.

I would have been happy if the state gave the University $10 million towards a stadium. Even if it was low-ball it was still something. From what I read, WE GOT NOTHING!!!

I hope to hear Dr. McElroy's opinion on the matter and what the "next step" will be. I only wish I would win a mega millions lottery game so I can give some of it to my university. I could do that and still walk away happy.

Great support Dane fans. It is now our job...even if you give up something for a 1/2 hour...to write concise and intelligent (proof read please) letters to Interim President Philip, Mayor Jennings, the Ward (councilmen), Bruno--selling the Capital District on a whole, Spitzer, Canastrini, etc.

This HAS TO HAPPEN FROM EVEYRONE ON THE BOARD...EVERYONE!

As noted...great to see the science stuff.

I am very happy to see that the University is going to get money for a Cancer Research facility and even more upgrades, including a new power substation.

Heck I am glad that we are even getting the money for the lighting. UA's Baseball and Softball programs deserve that if that is where it is going to...HOWEVER, THAT FUNDING IS 3-4 YEARS LATE!

I repeat my opinion from before...I hope those who sent letters to the TU and were crying about the state even giving partial funding for a new football stadium cry just as much about Stony Brook getting $22 million to make improvements to a fully functional basketball arena and a not even 10 year old football/lacrosse stadium.

I would have been happy if the state gave the University $10 million towards a stadium. Even if it was low-ball it was still something. From what I read, WE GOT NOTHING!!!

I hope to hear Dr. McElroy's opinion on the matter and what the "next step" will be. I only wish I would win a mega millions lottery game so I can give some of it to my university. I could do that and still walk away happy.

Their arena is more than "fully functional". I went to the game there a few weeks ago and the lobby is really large and nice and the arena itself is nice. Unless it is falling down I don't see where they can spend that money.

I've hit everyone up with e-mails. Bruno, Jennings (e-mail was over quota executive assistant e-mailed back saying she'd pass him a hard copy of my e-mail), Canistrari, TU and every TV station in the area.

I'm sick to my stomach!

What are we to do with all of that lip service from him (his reps) after the State of the State?

Their arena is more than "fully functional". I went to the game there a few weeks ago and the lobby is really large and nice and the arena itself is nice. Unless it is falling down I don't see where they can spend that money.

It's already begun.......8 mil when they "maybe" need it, yet we can't get a freaking dime for the stadium to replace our current park benches. ATL was right.....this is the life of a second fiddle!

Even if it's for purely selfish reasons, perhaps we should wait until people who are in the business of turning these line items into everyday English actually do their job.

We're using numbers that I simply copied verbatim from a Senate budget bill, based on the Executive Budget. I don't, and would not, claim that it's the only language out there. I also posted that it's hard to distinguish what the $25 million is for as some line items specifically list an athletics designation and some specifically list a student union designation..our does neither. I have no idea what our new Campus Center request total was..perhaps it was $15 million..then $25 million obviously wouldn't make sense. And I'm no expert, but I would wager a guess that $14 million+ is a bit much for softball and baseball field lights?

And while it certainly would be difficult to get the Legislature to include $30 million+ for an item (the stadium) when (IF) the Governor put in $0, it's unrealistic to complain that X SUNY school is getting X amount of money while we aren't just because the Governor has it in his proposed budget. If you haven't noticed, the Gov. and the Leg. haven't exactly had the greatest relationship so far..I'm guessing there might be some disagreement on budget priorities.

Also, while all of us here obviously wants a stadium in the worst way, it's a bit narrow minded to say that the Governor SH*T on us because he (MAYBE) didn't include stadium money..but then we mention all the money he's giving to Nano, the East Campus, uptown facilities improvements, etc. I'm all on board with the push for the stadium (I've already got my Ford Field at GODANESGO Stadium paperwork set-up when I win the Mega Millions), but it's a bit unrealistic to think that the Governor's #1 budget priority for NYS should be a new UAlbany football stadium.

Bottom line, I think we should maybe wait til we actually know what all this language means before everyone starts foaming at the mouth and calling for the government's head.

Just my two cents..

Even if it's for purely selfish reasons, perhaps we should wait until people who are in the business of turning these line items into everyday English actually do their job.

We're using numbers that I simply copied verbatim from a Senate budget bill, based on the Executive Budget. I don't, and would not, claim that it's the only language out there. I also posted that it's hard to distinguish what the $25 million is for as some line items specifically list an athletics designation and some specifically list a student union designation..our does neither. I have no idea what our new Campus Center request total was..perhaps it was $15 million..then $25 million obviously wouldn't make sense. And I'm no expert, but I would wager a guess that $14 million+ is a bit much for softball and baseball field lights?

And while it certainly would be difficult to get the Legislature to include $30 million+ for an item (the stadium) when (IF) the Governor put in $0, it's unrealistic to complain that X SUNY school is getting X amount of money while we aren't just because the Governor has it in his proposed budget. If you haven't noticed, the Gov. and the Leg. haven't exactly had the greatest relationship so far..I'm guessing there might be some disagreement on budgte priorities.

Also, while all of us here obviously wants a stadium in the worst way, it's a bit narrow minded to say that the Governor SH*T on us because he (MAYBE) didn't include stadium money..but then we mention all the money he's giving to Nano, the East Campus, uptown facilities improvements, etc. I'll all on board with the push for the stadium (I've already got my Ford Field at GODANESGO Stadium paperwork set-up when I win the Mega Millions), but it's a bit unrealistic to think that the Governor's #1 budget priority for NYS should be a new UAlbany football stadium.

Bottom line, I think we should maybe wait til we actually know what all this language means before everyone starts foaming at the mouth and calling for the government's head.

Just my two cents..

It has been confirmed in private email communication with UAlbany admins that we got the shaft.

IMO, moving forward under such an assumption is well-warranted at this point.

It has been confirmed in private email communication with UAlbany admins that we got the shaft.

IMO, moving forward under such an assumption is well-warranted at this point.

Are you telling the board here that it is definite that no money was included in the Governor's budget proposal for a UAlbany stadium?

If so, then the story's a bit different. I just haven't seen anything, nor is anything in the public, to say so for sure.

Today's budget confirms that there are only two flagships, UB and SBU. This is what every budget year looks like when your "Nobody State".

How does Jacksonville State feel when they look at Florida's budget?

How does Kennesaw State feel when the look at UGA?

How does Lowell feel when they look at UMass? (Amherst as though there was a question)

How does Albany feel when they look at Buffalo?

This will happen each and every year. Forever!

Get ready to deliver this line the rest of your lives, "A lot of people only know the Stony Brook and Buffalo campuses, actually Albany has a campus too... eh, we're just as good"

And while it certainly would be difficult to get the Legislature to include $30 million+ for an item (the stadium) when (IF) the Governor put in $0, it's unrealistic to complain that X SUNY school is getting X amount of money while we aren't just because the Governor has it in his proposed budget. If you haven't noticed, the Gov. and the Leg. haven't exactly had the greatest relationship so far..I'm guessing there might be some disagreement on budget priorities.

Also, while all of us here obviously wants a stadium in the worst way, it's a bit narrow minded to say that the Governor SH*T on us because he (MAYBE) didn't include stadium money..but then we mention all the money he's giving to Nano, the East Campus, uptown facilities improvements, etc. I'm all on board with the push for the stadium (I've already got my Ford Field at GODANESGO Stadium paperwork set-up when I win the Mega Millions), but it's a bit unrealistic to think that the Governor's #1 budget priority for NYS should be a new UAlbany football stadium.

Just my two cents..

14mm, I believe, is for lights and the stands for lax and field hockey. From what I have been told, they were waiting for this to put out the public bid to build the lax/field hockey stands.

Question is...does baseball get stands?

ATL_DANE and Danefan are on the money.

One thing: Jacksonville State is in Mississippi....Jacksonville is in Flordia-- and that is a private school.

One other thing: GoDanesGo has a point...we need to look at the entire budget because NANO and GENSYSIS got huge money. Where I differ from your opinion is that if you look closely, SBU and BUFFALO also got HUGE additional Capital Improvement Expenditure $$$ for their health centers...PLUS THE ATHLETICS.

Additionally, what ATL_DANE is saying is simple: TOTAL ALLOCATION $$$ are much larger at STONY BROOK and BUFFALO than they are at ALBANY....much larger.

That screams of flagship.

Archived