UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Terrible America East!

I know we have a rivalry game coming up but I think it's time to address the elephant in the room ! The America East is dreadful and we are kidding ourselves of we think it will get any better . We need out now. We will continue to be in the bottom 10 in RPI which will not help our attendance or growth . I'm a nobody but I would be a shocked if someone in our athletic department is not looking at this . I know it comes down to money but come on !

43 Vermont 83

135 Albany 342

232 Binghamton 322

245 UMBC 330

273 UMass-Lowell 306

276 Stony Brook 173

292 Maine 209

327 Hartford 292

339 New Hampshire 287

I cringe each night when I check the scoreboard and see which lowly team beat one of our AE brothers. And when they lose to a Power 5 team, it's usually not horrible, in fact 1st half is competitive many times. They just can't beat low-major teams. Playing down to competition?

Leaving the AE will help but must go to a multi bid league to improve attendance and recruiting . CAA still is a one-bid

league. Would love the A10 someday.

Enjoy the ability to make the dance every year. Won't be so often in CAA and perhaps never in the A-10.

I have to disagree. Getting to the NCAA is always the goal in one bid conferences. If we really want to make a mark nationally the goal should be to not only get there but to win a game. Getting a 14/15/16 seed in a bottom feeder conference and trying to win a game is extremely difficult. As good as Vermont was last year, the bottom 4-5 teams in the conference probably cost them a 12.

Ill take a better conference with better competition and a chance at a higher seed. The problem is there is none that will logistically make sense for us.

. As good as Vermont was last year, the bottom 4-5 teams in the conference probably cost them a 12.

Not everything can be blamed on the bottom teams in the conference. Vermont had a great run last year but they didn't have a win against a top 100 team and they had their chances in the non-conference schedule. They had a one point loss to Houston than probably would have changed their fate had they pulled it out.

Why do people knock the CAA and say it's logistically not there? If Football, with a massive roster, can travel to CAA sites, why can't basketball with it's 1/4th the roster size?

I say we need to just go full CAA and be done with it. At least for a decade or a decade and a half. See where we are then and see what makes sense. The AE is perennially a two horse race...us and VT. Has been since I started following UA hoops with 1 or 2 good Stony Brook teams sprinkled in.

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

Geographically there are 8 teams in the A10 that are within the area of the AE (UMass, St Bonaventure, Duquense, Fordham, GW, LaSalle, URI, St. Joes) so not too bad for more than half the conference. Three Virginia schools, one in NC, Dayton, and the furthest is St. Louis. Think the team wouldn't mind trading the bus trip to Orono for a flight to St Louis. Not sure if the A10 wants more than 14 teams. And would Bing and SB gripe and say we'll join you to keep the SUNYs together.

Why do people knock the CAA and say it's logistically not there? If Football, with a massive roster, can travel to CAA sites, why can't basketball with it's 1/4th the roster size?

It's not just basketball, though. It's all 15 sports that you'd have to send to all those other places. Football can absorb the cost by playing a guarantee game every year that probably funds their travel.

• Like 3

Big fish in small pond, or little fish in big pond. As a fan, I'll take the big pond realizing that we wont be the favorites most years. But that is just me. I'd rather be 0-16 in the Big East for 5 years but be growing to a bigger future than 15-1 in the America Least fighting with UVM every year in relative obscurity.

Why do schools fund athletics and try to grow their programs? Most people would say that it is to build school spirit and enhance campus life, but the real reason is that national success brings name recognition to your degree and thus adds more value to your degree.

I recently got into an argument with a casual sports fan in my company from another part of the state who didn't believe that UA was even D1.

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 3

Big fish in small pond, or little fish in big pond. As a fan, I'll take the big pond realizing that we wont be the favorites most years. But that is just me. I'd rather be 0-16 in the Big East for 5 years but be growing to a bigger future than 15-1 in the America Least fighting with UVM every year in relative obscurity.

Why do schools fund athletics and try to grow their programs? Most people would say that it is to build school spirit and enhance campus life, but the real reason is that national success brings name recognition to your degree and thus adds more value to your degree.

I recently got into an argument with a casual sports fan in my company from another part of the state who didn't believe that UA was even D1.

Amen to that. The only thing this league has done right since I started following Albany is move all games to espn3.
  • Like 1

It's not just basketball, though. It's all 15 sports that you'd have to send to all those other places. Football can absorb the cost by playing a guarantee game every year that probably funds their travel.

Fair enough...

• Like 1