UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Reid Anderson- Transferring

If it makes you feel any better bosiydid, it's actually not 1/3 of the roster transfering. There have been 19 players over the past 2 years, 5 have transfered, making it just about 1/4.

I'm sure your stances likely remain the same, but I just wanted to clarify the numbers.

Also, on average, athletes or not, college students usually don't graduate after 4 (or even 5) straight years at the same college or university without taking a break or transfering. That's a fact of the country's higher education system.

If it makes you feel any better bosiydid, it's actually not 1/3 of the roster transfering. There have been 19 players over the past 2 years, 5 have transfered, making it just about 1/4.

I'm sure your stances likely remain the same, but I just wanted to clarify the numbers.

GDG....forgot to add the graduating players.

I'd like to reiterate a simply point.....am I somewhat perplexed....sure! Allot of you guys have been following D1 for years if not decades....not the case with me. I'd be lying if I said this doesn't bother me, as I am somewhat uncomfortable with high premature turnover.

Again, I am not running around yelling...."THE SKY IS FALLING" but I am somewhat uncomfortable....who knows maybe as I get more accustomed to it happening I'll be able to brush it off just like most of you.

I wanted to voice my opinion....evidently I'm in the minority and I'm OK with that. :huh:

I'm well aware of how the higher ed system works in this country....I've transfered myself in order to get a Bachelors etc.

Bosi -kids choose a school and think they are better then the kids there when it doesn't work out for them some choose better alternatives for themselves. All kids get is an opportunity to compete if it doesn't workout some seek a level where they can be successfu some stay because they like the school and their friends.

I like to try to see the different sides to this.

Boys has empathy for the kids who've been recruited, cut out their picture from the hometown paper, celebrated with friends and family before leaving home with a D-1 scholarship in hand, got on a plane and stepped off into the next level. At that moment everything and anything was possible. It is a very big deal for an eighteen year old.

When it doesn't work out, when there is a realization they no longer fit into the coach's plans - I'm sure for some its a tragedy, for others its merely a wakeup and a reminder that there are other opportunities. Our perception, as outsiders looking in, of how these kids accept it likely depends on our own life experiences and might not be close to what the kid is really feeling.

I may have become hardened by my own life experiences, or by watching my own kids try, fail, feel rejection, and then try again. I'm ambivalent, though, when seeing a kid leave a college basketball program, voluntarily or involuntarily. They're kids. Who is to say that the forced adjustment that follows not measuring up can not be a greater learning experience than playing four years?

As 96 said most kids would rather play than ride the bench. I think one factor that has been good for us fans and maybe not as good for recent recruits has been the two NCAA tourney showings. We've moved up the recruiting ladder a notch or two and are bringing in better players, makes it tough for those looking for playing time.

Also, on average, athletes or not, college students usually don't graduate after 4 (or even 5) straight years at the same college or university without taking a break or transfering. That's a fact of the country's higher education system.

Indeed! I myself attended 6 different universities/colleges over the course of 9 years (it did include post-graduate education). Notwithstanding that, I still managed to attend 4 different universities during my undergraduate tenure. In my view, it is rare for a student these days to get through school in 8 semesters, and I suppose it's also a common scenario for a student to attend more than one university (although my case with 4 universities might qualify as more of an outlier-type case).

Transferring credits is easy too. It is my understanding that as long as you have 30 credits at a particular SUNY school (at least most of them), you can earn a diploma from THAT school (assuming you have satisfied the degree requirements, of course, for whatever degree you might be pursuing).

Bosi,

I've done some research and I think it's pretty correct ( if its not I apologize to any school I offend - the mistakes are unintentional ) atleast it gives you a general perspective of the transfer rate recently at AE schools.

What happens at UA is over magnified because we are all bigtime UA fans and are aware of the individual players leaving UA.

The "maybe more" is based on the fact the school year is not over.

Transfers happen everywhere for every reason.

Hartford

2008 McClendon, Tafo maybe more??

2007 Aldevindge ( Sweden )

2006 Cole, Carter

UNH

2008 Odom, maybe more??

2007 McGeary, Herrick, Roybal, Dunn, Zeko, Marshall

2006 Caterina, Vetrano

Maine

2008 Costigan, maybe more??

2007 Cavanaugh, Hartnett, Sanchez

2006 Scales, Haarknell

Vermont

2008 Robbins, maybe more??

2007 Trapani, Green, Sisca

2006 Duell, Schneider

Boston

2008 Smith, Creekmore, maybe more??

2007 ??

2006 Coblyn, Geffan, Gaffney

2005 Martin, Brower

Binghamton

2008 Klimovic, Trifunavic, McClendon, maybe more??

2007 Milne, Lee

2006 Fithian, Davidson

Stony Brook

2008 Robinson, maybe more??

2007 Cunningham, Wright, Hickson, Bakinde

2006 Hardy

UMBC

2008 ???

2007 Seaborn, Young

2006 Timba, Bilal

Albany

2008 Andersen, Moores, maybe more??

2007 Knight, Yocum, Ross

2006 Graham

Patch,

I appreciate the information....I hope you and others could see where I was coming from. Your research demonstrates the great service this board provides.....I probably worried a bit to much and for trivial reasons. Thanks again, appreciate the info.

To be clear I meant nothing more then to voice my concerns and I'm glad I did....better someone correct me then go through the summer thinking who knows what.

Thanks

Bosi - Anyone who isn't concerned when one of our guys transfers probably isn't a true fan

Andersen, very bright, often injured probably wanted an opportunity to be a major contributor and didn't see the opportunity at UA. Moores, great kid, like Anderson probably wanted to go somewhere where he can be a major contributor and have fun playing not watching. Knight fine student, great kid wanted to be on the court more. Yocum, nice, smart kid was behind Jimmy and Brett wanted to play and had a solid year at DII Philly U.. Graham from what I was told thought he should have been starting and avg a double double (which he didn't do even at his JC), didn't give himself much time to break in. Ross, no idea but from all I've heard and read he and Coach Brown had differing opinions on what was needed from him in his final year.

I don't think that Coach Brown has had a player getting solid minuites ever leave.

We quietly accept Levi, Jamar, Lucius, Zo, Iati, Wilson, Lillis and Connelly types players but when a few guys don't work out it's big news. Recruiting is far from an exact science in fact it's more like buying lottery tickets. It's also like baseball - if you as a coach bat a solid avg recruiting your doing well, Ted Williams was a hell of a hitter but he made more outs than hits.

Didn't a MacDonald's All American just leave DUKE?

i'm still mad about Ross leaving...if we had him this year then you can chalk up at least 5 close losses as wins because of his tenacious style of play. He was one of the 2 reasons we won the A-East last year in Vermont...the other being Jamar...(and Lillis's 3 pointer.).

FREE ROSS

He also let down his team in practice...and was missing on various sets.

• 2 months later...

Just saw that Rob Moores has signed to play at Emporia State. They just graduated six senior so hopefully he has a chance to play and succeed over the next two years there.

Robert Moores is a 6-2 guard from Elmhurst, Ill. He is transferring from the University of Albany. He appeared in 16 games as a sophomore last season for the Great Danes last season. He averaged 13.9 points, 4.0 assists, 2.9 rebounds and 2.1 assists for Pratt CC as a freshman in 2006-07 with 57 three-point field goals. He will have two years of eligibility remaining at ESU.

Archived