UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany (3-2) - Albany Cup 2016 - Sun 11/27 @ 7PM

Eli

One question. What was up with the gold Unis? I don't recall seeing them in years past. Was that a bit of a troll to Siena since they too have gold in their colors and we were wearing the gold AT HOME.

Well, we are the "Purple, Gold and White" as the cheerleader chant goes. They had gold home uniforms back in the early 00s when Mrs. S$ and I started watching them.

HoopJunkie is a delirious clown. He must be stuck in the year 2002.....

We are the GIANT of the Albany region! We overcame $iena years ago, and we continue pulling away.

Our bumper will be looking smaller and smaller to $iena as UAlbany continues to skyrocket ahead.

$iena is a has-been.

Yeah, but remember, in the past year Siena went to the round of 16 in the NCAA men's soccer championship, the final 8 in lacrosse, and the final 4 in field hockey. Plus, last year they sent six teams to NCAA Div. I tournaments. Also, they've been conference champs in track and field for over a decade....... Oh wait....

That's all nice, but I'm pretty sure their fans don't care about those sports. They live and die with their MBB and right now they're dying

I believe Jammaster was being sarcastic. Those are all our achievements. Siena hasn't done $iena in most of their other sports.
I know. Jusy pointing out they don't care about our championships in other sports. They are a one trick pony and only see basketball.

And I don't really care about what sports they like or dont. I go to various games year round not just from mid November to the loss to Albany like many of them :)

• Like 1

I have a couple questions today about the Times Union coverage of UA and LCC. The first regards articles about the two games tonight. I see there is an article about LCC's away game at St. Bonaventure, but I see nothing about UA's home match against Holy Cross. I don't have a subscription to the TU, so I'm wondering if anyone here has news about tonight's game. Also, again because I don't subscribe to the TU, I'm wondering what Iorizzo said after Sunday's game about continuation of the UA-LCC series after 2017. Just curious.

I have a couple questions today about the Times Union coverage of UA and LCC. The first regards articles about the two games tonight. I see there is an article about LCC's away game at St. Bonaventure, but I see nothing about UA's home match against Holy Cross. I don't have a subscription to the TU, so I'm wondering if anyone here has news about tonight's game. Also, again because I don't subscribe to the TU, I'm wondering what Iorizzo said after Sunday's game about continuation of the UA-LCC series after 2017. Just curious.

See the Holy Cross thread for today's story.

Iorizzo's blog Sunday:

Iorizzo: Siena, UAlbany basketball series should continue
Basketball rivalry looks and feels good in new venue
The Siena and University at Albany men's basketball teams played an entertaining game Sunday in front of a sold-out crowd.
And for a fun night that ended with an 81-72 Great Danes victory in front of 4,538 at SEFCU Arena, both schools deserve credit.
For Siena, it couldn't have been easy to finally concede and play their rival away from Times Union Center, where Saints fans had gotten quite comfortable watching this game for the past 15 years. Likewise, UAlbany could have walked away from the annual Albany Cup at some point in the past decade, because, well, no one wants to play the crosstown rival on the road for all eternity.
Thankfully, two years ago the schools negotiated on a three-year contract: The game was played at Times Union Center last year, at UAlbany on Sunday and then back to the TU Center next year in what technically will be a neutral site.
This has become more of a true rivalry in recent years, as was most obvious this past week, when the coaches exchanged verbal jabs through the media. But no one's asking these guys to be best friends, so long as the schools can continue to find ways to make this game happen.
How?
For 15 years, the idea of playing at SEFCU often was described as unworkable, but lo and behold, a basketball game took place there Sunday, and civilization didn't collapse.
Yes, there was grousing about the ticket prices: $60 for chairback seats, $40 for bleachers and $25-30 for standing-room only. And it should be played at a time that's better for students.
But even Siena coach Jimmy Patsos was willing to concede that the cozy gym made for a fun atmosphere. He jokingly ducked a question about whether he'd come back – "Have to go now," he said as he walked out of the news conference — but added, "It was a fun environment."
As for UAlbany's Will Brown, the first thing he said to UAlbany athletic director Mark Benson when he left the court was, "The game should be here every other year."
I'm not sure Siena's willing to make this a true home-and-home, but clearly, SEFCU can host this game at least some of the time.
Fortunately, the schools have two years to work out another compromise. And I think they will. One thing fans of both schools probably can agree on: This game is fun, and we should keep playing it.

Well now that the game against that piece of $iena team from across town is over, it's time to move on to the next game. I am thinking the team can go 7-2 or 6-3 in the rest of the OOC schedule. The only team left that we should lose to is SMU. A couple of the other games are tough, but 8-1 isn't out of the question.

We will have to play better going forward but should never get too excited (7-2 prediction above) just for beating LCC. They are hardly a measuring stick :) and there were and are a bunch of tougher teams on the schedule than them :)

Pretty sure next up yale is a more difficult team than LCC as well

Edited by bob87

I won't give up hope after one terrible game. I know LCC isn't SMU, but I thought I saw the team come together in that game. It gave me confidence for moving forward. Hopefully last night was just the hangover. SMU is the only game coming up that we are heavy underdogs in. Every other game is winnable.

You're never as good as your best game and you're never as bad as your worst game. A 9pt win at home over a good Siena team doesn't mean we should beat the rest of our OOC schedule (sans SMU)..nor does a 6pt loss at home against a quality Holy Cross team mean we should go winless the rest of the way.

Just because SMU is the only remaining power team on our OOC schedule doesn't mean the rest are cupcakes. Pomeroy has us as the underdog in 5 of our remaining 8 OOC games. Outside of SFU-Brooklyn..they don't have any team rated below 242..which is equivalent to playing the 4th strongest AEast team. And those 5 games are on the road. This Saturday at Yale will be very tough.

If we get out of our OOC above .500..then I think it will be a decent start..especially considering our starting line-up includes 3 players who had never started a DI game before this season. Hopefully by then the team will have gelled a bit more..we'll be a bit more healthy..and another 1 or 2 guys will step up so that we aren't only 7 deep with Cremo and Nichols both averaging 35+ mpg.

The Penn State and Siena games show that the team has the ability..just need to find some consistency and figure out a few things.

You're never as good as your best game and you're never as bad as your worst game. A 9pt win at home over a good Siena team doesn't mean we should beat the rest of our OOC schedule (sans SMU)..nor does a 6pt loss at home against a quality Holy Cross team mean we should go winless the rest of the way.

Just because SMU is the only remaining power team on our OOC schedule doesn't mean the rest are cupcakes. Pomeroy has us as the underdog in 5 of our remaining 8 OOC games. Outside of SFU-Brooklyn..they don't have any team rated below 242..which is equivalent to playing the 4th strongest AEast team. And those 5 games are on the road. This Saturday at Yale will be very tough.

If we get out of our OOC above .500..then I think it will be a decent start..especially considering our starting line-up includes 3 players who had never started a DI game before this season. Hopefully by then the team will have gelled a bit more..we'll be a bit more healthy..and another 1 or 2 guys will step up so that we aren't only 7 deep with Cremo and Nichols both averaging 35+ mpg.

The Penn State and Siena games show that the team has the ability..just need to find some consistency and figure out a few things.

Agreed with most of the post. I would probably just leave lcc out of the last paragraph :)