UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

ESPN Bracketbuster

Canisius, a MAAC team, has 4 wins. I'm a little surprised we didn't get a more touted opponent. I understand our 10-11 record doesn't bode well for us, however, I would have expected something a little more. If anything, this game will hurt our RPI.

The Golden Griffins, whose four wins have all come at home this season, play in the Koessler Athletic Center, a facility that seats capacity crowds of 2,176. Sophomore guard Frank Turner, the 2007 MAAC Co-Rookie of the Year, is Canisius’ top player. He averages 12.5 points, 4.4 assists and 4.1 rebounds.

On a side note, Siena gets Boise St.

I understand not getting a TV game, but especially the way they screwed us last year with the travel, it would have been nice to get a better quality team (not to jinx us). I guess at this point though this might be a blessing in disguise - a more local team, and one which we are deifnately capable of beating and helping gain some momentum going into tournament time.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the way I've always looked at the BB was that is was a role of the dice to get a T.V. game. We won two out of three not bad. Just FYI, I know nothing about the MAAC outside of the game against Siena but looking at their record we should not take Canisius lightly. They may be a 4 win team and they are at the bottom of the MAAC, but one of the four wins was against Maine.

Also this will make our OOC look somthing like this

Home Games

Canisius

CCSU

Away Games

Kansas (pending)

Depaul (pending)

Lehigh

Sacred Heart

Siena (pending)

Columbia

St. Francis NY

Not surprised. For the most part we've been a disappointment all season. Our conference is barely noticeable from a national viewpoint.

We haven't maintained the minor-marquee value to ESPN that we previously demonstrated and ESPN is letting us know that with the selection.

We've lost every local bragging rights game except one, now lets not disgrace ourselves further by losing to a maac bottom feeder.

Will Brown picked Canisius, ESPN only picks teams involved in the actual bracket buster, for the other games coaches pick regional teams ( to limit travel) not sure why Will Brown didn’t pick UB, maybe he didn’t want to play them ( or vis versa) But whatever the reason you can’t blame ESPN. BTW The MAAC got 3 TV games in the actual bracket buster. For those of you interested ESPNU will break down the pairings for the teams in the bracketbuster tonight at 6:30 on ESPNU

Will Brown picked Canisius, ESPN only picks teams involved in the actual bracket buster, for the other games coaches pick regional teams ( to limit travel) not sure why Will Brown didn’t pick UB, maybe he didn’t want to play them ( or vis versa) - Siena Tony

Tony - thanks for your insight - but it isn't totally correct as usual.

Coaches do get to pick preferred opponents (5, I believe) but that doesn't mean they'll match up - so therefore the committee selects who they want.

Let's see if Singelais blogs the info Brown could have had Canisius on his list or he may not have.

Personally I don't see why he would have, as you know who the hell would want to travel to Buffalo in Feb. and who would want them as a home game next year? A game against any of the MAAC teams in the metro area would have been much better then going to Buffalo especially for the Alums.

ps - I would doubt Dennis Wolff wanted St Peters but who knows.

Good Luck to Siena on their trip to Idaho, hopefully you'll travel with better weather then the Danes did last year.

For Siena Tony who knows all!!!!

From TU Blog

UAlbany coach Will Brown was less than thrilled about drawing Canisius out of the BracketBusters pool for a nonleague game in Buffalo on Feb. 23.

Brown said before today’s practice that Canisius wasn’t on the list of five preferred opponents he submitted to ESPN if the Great Danes weren’t going to get a televised game. -Singelais

Siena Tony maybe you should stay on the Siena site and not come over hear and spread false statements!!!

Will Brown picked Canisius, ESPN only picks teams involved in the actual bracket buster, for the other games coaches pick regional teams - Siena Tony

But do remember Fran did have 298RPI JMU on his list of 5 last year, when he padded his record with about 8 or 9 300RPI or near 300 type wins.

Patchy , you need to relax.. ESPN does NOT pick any of the match ups after the TV’s games, it is then done by the conferences and coaches so if Will brown feels he got screwed it was the AE office that screwed him. As for Siena’s record last year..your kidding right? Better look at all the 300 plus RPI teams UA is playing THIS YEAR and Albany has already lost to two of them in UNH and Maine. Canisius will be the 8th plus 300 team Albany has played THIS YEAR. BTW Patch hope you enjoy watching Siena on ESPN for the bracket buster

Archived