UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Flagship Update

ATL_DANE

I just felt we needed a new thread.

Buffalo and Stony Brook are colluding to cut Albany and Bingo out of the flagship picture. This cannot be allowed to happen.

"Simpson said it is especially important to work together with other SUNY officials. He reported that he met recently in New York City with the president of Stony Brook University to discuss ways the two designated flagship SUNY institutions can work together toward common goals. These academic, administrative and political connections will continue in hopes of building on the consensus and understanding of what UB is attempting to do, Simpson said."

http://www.buffalo.edu/reporter/vol39/vol3.../UBCouncil.html

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gone to the dark side for help. If SBU and UB are going to team up, UA is gong to have to work with Bingo. I know it's painful to contemplate. I know this issue is all but decided but... still I try. Why? I don't know.

My letter is below:

---------------------------

Hello Editors of Binghamton Pipe Dream,

I read your piece on the SUNY Flagships. There is also a lot of concern about UAlbany being left out as a flagship. Two university centers (UA and BU) are being dropped as peer university centers so that BU and SBU can be promoted. UA and BU must work together! Losing flagship status will be a major blow to UA and BU. This is a loss of millions of dollars and local area jobs. This is a loss of academic prestige. Flagship status is something that is granted and never changed. UA and BU need to ask themselves if they want to be U of Michigan or Grand Valley State? Do we want to be UConn or CCSU? Do we want to be Cal-Berkeley or Cal State Northridge? This is a major issue. This devalues our two schools.

SBU and UB are working to solidify their flagship positions.

Quotes:

UB Reporter 2/14

“By recognizing UB as a flagship campus for the SUNY system and endorsing the UB 2020 vision of excellence, Gov. Spitzer has strongly reinforced the leadership role that UB’s growth and success will play in our region and state,” Simpson said."

Newday 2/5

"The idea of a law school for Stony Brook University is just a baby concept, but if it matures quickly into reality, it would add immensely to Stony Brook's drive to become a comprehensive university, a downstate SUNY flagship."

UB Reporter Vol 39, #21

"Simpson said it is especially important to work together with other SUNY officials. He reported that he met recently in New York City with the president of Stony Brook University to discuss ways the two designated flagship SUNY institutions can work together toward common goals."

Buffalo Business First 2/13

"Just as you need superstars on a team, you need flagships that define the system," he said.

More the merrier in this fight - danefan

There can't be a fight if there is no one eslse in the ring!!!!!

Buffalo and SBU stand as one in the ring and UA doesn't even have a representative to get us into the fray.

Just get one high file profile politician to be on our side or you might as well........

FOR "GED" ABOUT IT!!!!!

Where is our political support?????

Without it you're just spitting into the wind!!!!!

More the merrier in this fight - danefan

There can't be a fight if there is no one eslse in the ring!!!!!

Buffalo and SBU stand as one in the ring and UA doesn't even have a representative to get us into the fray.

Just get one high file profile politician to be on our side or you might as well........

FOR "GED" ABOUT IT!!!!!

Where is our political support?????

Without it you're just spitting into the wind!!!!!

Nothing but lip service so far.

I know this is a difficult subject, but when the words "fight" are used, just how far are some of you proposing to go? To the point where UB2020 will be denied funding? I'll be blunt and say that is patently unfair for UB, as we have been working on this plan since Simpson arrived, many advances have taken place (today UB released 2007 research expenditures reached a record $323 Million), and the final, comprehensive physical plan will be completed in April 2009. I recall some postings saying it is understandable that UB is working to grow and improve, but does adding SBU to the equation make any separation/specialization of the 4 centers inexcusable? I did not realize Stony Brook now has a modest 5-year plan posted on their site:

SBU 5-Year PLan

The general sentiment among those at UB who are aware of some elements fighting UB2020 funding is, "OK, so, where is their plan?" That should be the goal, not fighting against those hard at work to improve.

I have to wonder why it's taking nearly 1 1/2 years for UA to fill the position of president? Is there some collusion going on? Is the plan to fill the presidency only after it's too late to save UAlbany....

I only hope Gov Spitzer runs for president so that I have the opportunity to vote against him! :angry:

I know this is a difficult subject, but when the words "fight" are used, just how far are some of you proposing to go? To the point where UB2020 will be denied funding? I'll be blunt and say that is patently unfair for UB, as we have been working on this plan since Simpson arrived, many advances have taken place (today UB released 2007 research expenditures reached a record $323 Million), and the final, comprehensive physical plan will be completed in April 2009. I recall some postings saying it is understandable that UB is working to grow and improve, but does adding SBU to the equation make any separation/specialization of the 4 centers inexcusable? I did not realize Stony Brook now has a modest 5-year plan posted on their site:

SBU 5-Year PLan

The general sentiment among those at UB who are aware of some elements fighting UB2020 funding is, "OK, so, where is their plan?" That should be the goal, not fighting against those hard at work to improve.

I have to be honest with UBBulls. Right now, Buffalo getting any funding does nothing for UAlbany. We are in direct competition right now to establish ourselves nationally. More power to you guys for your plan, but that plan is coming to fruition at the expense of ours. So yes, if getting our plan funded includes yours being a little short, well then I would be in favor of that.

This is how rivalries are built, both on field and off. Sister schools can't "like" each other forever. :rolleyes:

I have to be honest with UBBulls. Right now, Buffalo getting any funding does nothing for UAlbany. We are in direct competition right now to establish ourselves nationally. More power to you guys for your plan, but that plan is coming to fruition at the expense of ours. So yes, if getting our plan funded includes yours being a little short, well then I would be in favor of that.

This is how rivalries are built, both on field and off. Sister schools can't "like" each other forever. :rolleyes:

What plan of yours? Is there anything beyond the 2010 athletic plan?

What plan of yours? Is there anything beyond the 2010 athletic plan?

Plan?

"I say we blow the f***ers up." (-Character "Booger," from the movie Revenge of the Nerds (1984))

[JOKE!] :lol:

"Dead! UA_MA_2000 is right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

TOGA....TOGA...TOGA!!!!!

We are a rudderless ship without a President who cares as much as we all do. This too will pass, someone will be put in the position of UA president and hopefully he or she is as passionate about UA athletics as we all are.

In the short term UA WILL get what we need from the NYS. Remember the final decisions dont get done until April and I am sure more $ will be allocated for stadium funding and the 2010 plan will be realized with the help of some bonding issues. Long term is another story.

Spitzer has has really f*#ked up his one chance and I hope the Dems are proud of themselves. He has painted himself as a liar and pseudo bully who probably got sand kicked in his face at the beach. Spitzer as we all know by now is a one and done Govenor and everyone knows it which is why some of his closest supporters are distancing themselves from his debacle in Govenor's mansion! Anything he puts forward will be shot down or redone when Rudy or someone more honest decides he wants to be The Man in NY!

I got a voice mail from the TU yesterday. They sure took their time calling me about my email but hey... I hope this ends up as a story in the paper.

UBBulls is definitely living in a fantasy land. He comes onto this UA board and asks us to accept UA taking a secondary position within SUNY. Really? Yes, we don't want to be a flagship. Yes, we want inferior funding and facilities. As long as UB and SBU are well provided, we should be happy. We'll gladly be the SUNY "safety" school so that UB can be the next Ohio State. Anything else we can do for you? Maybe the nano facility should be moved to Buffalo? Better yet, maybe we can just move the capitol to Buffalo? Sorry for getting in your way. I'll be sure to attend UB Day at the capitol.

You and the governor may win at screwing over UAlbany but it's not going to happen without a fight. I have contacted every politician, newspaper, and tv station at least twice. Someone is bound to realize that the Capitol Region is getting screwed over big time.

ATl,

You aren't the only one. We've all been after the likes of Bruno, Canistrari etc. Powerful people that make things happen in this state. Spitzer can not operate in a vacuum and implement his plan, without building consensus.

UB,

It's fine that you've been working on this plan for year and that you have the people in leadership positions that are working this state to get your school ahead. I'm not sure if you are aware, but a FEW YEARS back our president passed away in a tragic accident and we have yet to get a permanent president in place. It's a god damn crime whats happened with the president search or lack of one. It's not something that UA can do on their own, the feet dragging is happening much higher up. I'm sure Bu and SB have no problem with the delay, after all with no one at the table to speak on our behalf you two can split up the pie any way you want.

WHEN IS THIS UNIVERSITY GOING TO GET A PRESIDENT?

Archived