UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I just heard of horrible rumor that Kelly Sheffield may have jumped ship to become the head coach for the Dayton Flyers woman's VB team.....

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4362

Scroll down to the bottom. He was apparently spotted in Dayton with his wife after an interview.

Anybody know if this is true or have any contacts re: volleyball?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if true, it is well deserved. However, I think the team is then handed over to coach Engstrom. She has coached at the D-I level and has been working with this players. Lets see what happens

Hard to find fault with if it is true but I'm still hoping it isn't. Great opportunity at Dayton to be a top 10 team out there.

I didn't realize how much fun volleyball was until Coach Sheffield got here.

On a positive note, there is a rumor that UAlbany may establish a Men's Volleyball team for the 2009-2010 season.

I don't know the exact numbers, but its hard to see that happening because of Title IX, especially with the possibility of adding an addition 10 football scholarships in the very near future and then another 23 soon thereafter.

I'm not sure. My source of infomration used the word "alumni", which, of course, is the plural form of alumnus or alumna. So, who knows who or what is going where beyond the head coach.

Strictly out of curiosity: Assuming the coaching rumors are true, and they appear to be, and assuming the school looked outside the current staff to find a head coach, would coach Bynon (sp?) of Burnt Hills be a possible candidate? He's led the Burnt Hills Women's team to an elite status in the state over at least the past decade or so.

I have no idea whether a high school coach can make the transition to the college game. In fact, I don't even know much about the game of volleyball, despite having assisted with the umpiring at a couple NCAA volleyball matches at my first college (2-year university out West; it was a form of work study I guess. They just told me to look at the back line and say whether the ball was out or in). But I just thought I'd ask and throw that name out there.

I'm not sure. My source of infomration used the word "alumni", which, of course, is the plural form of alumnus or alumna. So, who knows who or what is going where beyond the head coach.

Strictly out of curiosity: Assuming the coaching rumors are true, and they appear to be, and assuming the school looked outside the current staff to find a head coach, would coach Bynon (sp?) of Burnt Hills be a possible candidate? He's led the Burnt Hills Women's team to an elite status in the state over at least the past decade or so.

I have no idea whether a high school coach can make the transition to the college game. In fact, I don't even know much about the game of volleyball, despite having assisted with the umpiring at a couple NCAA volleyball matches at my first college (2-year university out West; it was a form of work study I guess. They just told me to look at the back line and say whether the ball was out or in). But I just thought I'd ask and throw that name out there.

I believe Coach Sheffield originally started coaching high school and travel volleyball, so I guess it is possible. I would imagine that a program with multiple NCAA appearances and an NCAA win would get either a college coach (from lower level - DII or lower DI) or an assistant from a top level DI school.

I still think if Engstrom stays, she has the inside track. At least that is what I would think. She has been here for the last 3 years, when basically the team should have been in it for all three years (remember her first year they had the fluke 1st rounder to Stony Brook). She has been the recruiter for the program and has had previous NCAA success as head coach and in major conferences (Villanova). Add that she has been an assistant for Washington. She also has graduated from a program high on the NCAA Volleyball later in Minnesota.

I would hope if Sheffield is out that Engstrom is in!

MJ has been named the interim head coach for next season. Hopefully she will be named the official head coach after a successful season this fall.

Coach Sheffield built the UAlbany team into one of the best sports teams here and a powerhouse in the America East conference. I think we all knew that this day would come and he would begin climbing the ladder to new challenges. Although I hate to see him go, I'm sure the other volleyball coaches in this conference are dancing a little jig. Little do they know that MJ will continue the dominance!

Good Luck to both coaches..

GO DANES!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the first really successful coach to leave since the beginning of the DI era at UA right?

I put Sheffield in the same category as:

Ford

Brown

Marr

Vives

Cannata

We all knew it was coming eventually. It will be interesting to see how the team rebounds and I do hope that MJ stays on as permanent head coach.

Archived