UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Thanks. That would be odd to play indoors. Wonder if something else is going on at Homewood?

Just saw a replay of an interview with Connor Fields. The announcers were pushing him a bit to talk about Tehoka, but Connor did a nice job of recognizing his abilities, and at the same time talking about how good this freshmen class is. Didn't mention any specific names, but did say several middies were fitting in very well.

Based upon what someone said who saw them play as a group this summer that isn't surprising to hear.

Anyone hear anything about how Tehoka's addition may impact the attack rotation and who might be moved to the fourth attack position in the middie rotation that Bennett Drake played last year? Drake really blossomed there.

Have to believe that Reh, will be there with Fields, but with Laffin and Patterson having solid freshmen years will be interesting to see how the five main attackmen are used this year.

From what I have heard, and it isn't too much, but that Nanticoke and Patterson are in the hunt to take over Drake's role and the other will probably get the third starting attack position. Drake really did have a great senior season. Before Patterson got hurt and played less down the stretch I never saw him have the sort of outside shot that Drake had, and that Laffin showed he had in his game winning goal against Yale.

Also, understandably, Patterson had trouble finishing those tough, contested goals in close. Nanticoke is already a man when it comes to size and strength so if I were a betting man I think the starting attack is Fields, Reh, and Tehoka and it wouldn't surprise me if someone other than Laffin or Patterson plays the fourth attack on the offensive middie line this spring.

From what I have heard, and it isn't too much, but that Nanticoke and Patterson are in the hunt to take over Drake's role and the other will probably get the third starting attack position. Drake really did have a great senior season. Before Patterson got hurt and played less down the stretch I never saw him have the sort of outside shot that Drake had, and that Laffin showed he had in his game winning goal against Yale.

Also, understandably, Patterson had trouble finishing those tough, contested goals in close. Nanticoke is already a man when it comes to size and strength so if I were a betting man I think the starting attack is Fields, Reh, and Tehoka and it wouldn't surprise me if someone other than Laffin or Patterson plays the fourth attack on the offensive middie line this spring.

Both Burgmasters' and both Eccles' boys have great outside shots. You are right, the position is wide open. I know it is too early to get to excited, but this team could be record setting offensively.

I was very impressed with Alex's shot when I saw him play this summer. He can definitely rip it from 12-15 yards with a lot of velocity. Jack seemed to transition more into a defensive middie this past year, but he definitely has some offensive pop and it would be great to see him shoot more this year.

Matt Eccles didn't go to the goal much when I saw him play, but showed a lot of grit in between the restraining lines. Aidan Conlan looked good as well but with all the depth at attack I would imagine he'll have a tough time cracking through as a freshmen.

I don't think any of this year's poles will make much of a dent with everyone coming back and some talented younger guys who saw the field a bit last year.

I really liked both of the 2017 goalies, but it is definitely JD's job at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Inside Lacrosse has UA scrimmage against Hill Academy 7pm October 6 & Alumni game the 7th. I'll be out of town on the 6th, but hopefully be back in time to get a early peak @ the 17-18 team. If not back in time hopefully other's can make the game & provide early review.

10/6 Hill Academy scrimmage canceled. Instead, part of this Sunday(10/1) 3 scrimmages in Syracuse. Two @ dome, one @ ? See http://www.ualbanysports.com for details.

Edited by dslyank

A few observations

- starting attack will be fun to watch. Fields and Reh were in mid season form. Nanticoke wasn't a huge factor IMO, but just his presence gave more room for Fields and Reh to operate. My guess is he will be more of a finisher this year.

-strong freshmen class, especially at midfield. Looks like 3-4 could see action this year. Schwab seemed to be first in, but Ramirez played well as did Burgmaster.

- looks like Patterson will be transitioning into Bennett Drake's role

- Irelan was dominant as you might expect against this sort of completion, but he looked bigger and faster than last year.

- Laffin looked much trimmer this year

- Eagan looked really good on the invert

- Sean Eccles was sniping big time

- Sierkieski looked solid as the #2 goalie

Troy Reh and Jack Burgmaster were not dressed. Someone correct me on this, but Simms didn't play either and I am not sure I saw him.

- I think Perla and Filipowski are going to be important pieces if the defense steps up even more this year

- Similar to last year when Irelan doesn't win the face off clean wing play has to improve, especially against the elite teams who will find a way to slow TD down.

Thought about it some more - the core group of midfielders looks like McClancy, Sean Eccles, Eagan, would assume the elder Burgmaster when he is 100% healthy, with Patterson playing the primary attack/middie role. It looked like if I had numbers right Alex Brown and Noah Taylor were filling the more defensive end of the two way midfielders then several of the freshmen.

There were quite a few new numbers on defense, but IMO the real strength were several of the returning younger guys who looked bigger and faster.

Austin Jones did a really nice job when he was in as FOGO.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

I watched both games on lax sports network. They are offering a 14 day or month free trial. I am not sure which, as I got emails about both offers; but even without the free bee, they only charge $7.99 per month and you can cancel anytime. No worse than most single game prices. I think they may have our 10/15 scrimmage against hopkins but not sure.

Anyhow, a couple of comments in support of fan2018. Reh looked particularly good both passing and shooting. Connor looked to be showing off. Perhaps his Tewaarton snub from last year has him feeling he needs to more demonstative; or perhaps he his just that good! Nanticoke played for the Iroquois team against Israel and against us. Only suited for UA in the first half of our game against Israel. He looked OK, only. Interesting to note, Marr an assistant with the Iroquois National team, coached for them and let Gleason & Thomson run UA. Also, Lyle & Miles did not arrive until almost half time of our game and were pretty much non-factors as UA O pretty much had the ball all day. Irelan (who definitely looked bigger & stronger than last year) and Jones (as 2018 noted) both were awesome {+90% overall my guess.}

I thought Sierkieski looked very good in goal. He faced more and tougher shots than did Calarusso. Sierkierski made all the routine stops and a few spectacular ones. He ultimately may be the better goalie, but I am sure the senior will be #1 again. The D really wasn't tested much (scores of 11-4 & 18-7); but looked good when they had the opportunity. The announcers (cuse people I assume) did not think much of our improved D last year or were just unaware?

Patterson did get the start when Nanticoke was playing for the opposition; and I assume as 2018 said, will be the fourth attack. But as was said in previous post there are a lot of options for #4 & midfield. 2018 mentions some above and I'd like to add Diamond Davis who has been mentioned for his passing prowess; but showed a deft shot yesterday [twice scoring goals between the goalie & the post with only a pinch of space--I think this is what is called into the 5 hole.]

The announcers (cuse biased) had us pegged as a top 5 perhaps, and a chance for our "1st final four" if we get any defense. But our biggest issue maybe finding enough playing time for everyone?

Had no idea that anyone was broadcasting a fall ball game.

Was there any mention of the Albany starters who did not suit up?

No mention. They had enough problems trying to figure out who was who. Uniform #s and who's who often an issue in fall ball & early season scrimmages. For instance, they went a whole game before recognizing Sierkieski was the SECOND goalie used in each game. Calarusso if it was even him wore #23 as the starter?