UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB picked 3rd in AE Coaches Poll

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters will make some noise. I concur about Green. Honestly, all of the guards looked great. M. Rowley looked great too. This year's team vs. last year's team, I'd have to pick this year's team I think. Looking forward to first home game!

Gotta try and stay grounded...lol.

I was impressed, this team has a chance to be REALLY good. The talent is there...

I'm curious about what others saw/thought about tonight.

My thoughts:

The returning players:

Mike Rowley. His play jumped out at me. I thought something good happened just about every time he touched the ball. Passed well, defended. I was impressed.

Sam Rowley. He seems to do what he wants unless you send two guys to stop him from doing it. I thought he looked to pass a lot more out of his post moves than he did last year.

Dallas. The up and down game of a scrimmage probably isn't the best format for him to showcase his game. He seemed much more confident on the offensive end.

Peter Hooley. Not the best showing but we know what he can do.

Ede. Not among the starting five of either team. Probably a testament to the skill level of these guys. Made some terrific offensive plays. Sometimes a little lost on defense.

New Guys:

Ray Saunders. I loved the way he plays. I didn't think we were great defensively except for him. No offense to Peter Hooley but I thought Saunders defense really bothered him. It's no accident he and the Rowleys were on the team that won.

Evan Singletary. His shooting was impressive. I didn't think he or Tre Green really played with the control we're used to seeing out of our PG. They both forced action a little but then again, they're both auditioning. Strong, smooth and a shooter. Really nice game.

Richard Peters. Tried not to have too high of expectations of him. Click mentioned he missed some shots under the rim which he did. I thought he had great hands. Caught everything that came his way and grabbed some nice rebounds in traffic. Also vocal and engaged. He struggled guarding Mike Rowley but I think that's going to happen to a lot of people this year.

Wheeler Baker. Like Peters, I tried not to have too high of expectations. Offensively he gets where he wants on the court. Nice drives, nice passes. Really going to enjoy watching him develop. Looked like a freshman on defense sometimes but that will pass.

Tre Green. Similar skill set to Singletary. I thought he made a few more bad decisions that Singletary but was really solid.

Geremy McKay. Quiet game offensively. He had some tough matchups with the Rowleys. For a freshman he was really vocal on defense.

Mike Wells. Tough spot for him to find minutes, coming off the bench of the Gold team. Not a lot of opportunity for him to show what he could do.

Reese Williams came off the bench of the Gold team also.

Max Twyman and Stire didn't play. Stire is supposed to be cleared for practice next week. Didn't hear anything about Twyman.

DP, I think your assessment is mostly right on. Hooley, might be our only first team (AE), but I think this year could be the Rowley and Rowley show; with the younger (yes Mike) out shining the older. Mike's skill set is superior to Sam's (which is saying a lot), and he looked poised and confident yesterday. I was also impressed with Singletary/Green/Sanders. I unlike some others reporting, WAS impressed with Baker. I had him making his first two three's (but maybe it was only one per the tu) but none after that. But he seemed to have a court presences that he belonged. With Singletary/Green/Sanders, and Hooley & Dallas (who admitted to me after the game was wiped after Brown's 3 hour practice), it may be hard to find Baker court time. But like Dallas last year, I feel Baker has two much talent to red shirt.

A lot of fans there, how about some more assessments/opinions!

Edited by dslyank

DP, I think your assessment is mostly right on. Hooley, might be our only first team (AE), but I think this year could be the Rowley and Rowley show; with the younger (yes Mike) out shining the older. Mike's skill set is superior to Sam's (which is saying a lot), and he looked poised and confident yesterday. I was also impressed with Singletary/Green/Sanders. I unlike some others reporting, WAS impressed with Baker. I had him making his first two three's (but maybe it was only one per the tu) but none after that. But he seemed to have a court presences that he belonged. With Singletary/Green/Sanders, and Hooley & Dallas (who admitted to me after the game was wiped after Brown's 3 hour practice), it may be hard to find Baker court time. But like Dallas last year, I feel Baker has two much talent to red shirt.

A lot of fans there, how about some more assessments/opinions!

I liked Baker a lot, this kid has the chance to he special. There are kids that you look at and say, maybe maybe not he will turn into something and than there are those you need to only look at for a minute to know there is something about him. This kid has it... Whatever it is. Not sure where they find him minutes but if he keeps his head on straight hell be a star.

Head on a swivel, got into the lane, some really great passes... Seemed to me really adept at the pick and roll delivering by my count three passes EXACTLY on the mark. Can jump out of the gym...

Edited by Clickclack

Looking at the shape of the team, practice must be brutal. Twyman and Stire out with concussions and McKay was playing with a big mask on.

In hindsight, considering they practiced for three hours before the scrimmage, Singletary's shooting was even more impressive. Generally you think of a shooters legs going when he's tired, that's how Dallas looked in the second half.

The lineup that popped out at me, at least early in the season, would be the four experienced players with Singletary at the point - the Rowleys, Hooley and Dallas. That leaves a lot of players that I really liked coming off the bench and not much shot blocking but a really good shooting team with scoring from all five positions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Binghamton News:

According to the athletics department, Jordan Reed is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the team for personal reasons.

@BingBBallBlog

On Monday, Dempsey said Reed wasn't 'in a good place mentally.' Reed was then benched in yesterday's Army game for missing shooting practice

Binghamton News:

According to the athletics department, Jordan Reed is taking an indefinite leave of absence from the team for personal reasons.

@BingBBallBlog

On Monday, Dempsey said Reed wasn't 'in a good place mentally.' Reed was then benched in yesterday's Army game for missing shooting practice

I certainly don't know the whole story but it's been a soap opera every year he's been there. He's been a nice player for them but also a big distraction.

• 1 month later...

If you want a good laugh... I mean I know our conf wins aren't against the best of the best (though our non-conf W are better than UVM) but no mention of the back to back AE champs or our conf record...or that UVM can't win post season games at Patrick Gym... jealous that their beat writer wears green and gold glasses. Wish Wilken was given a pair of purple and gold ones.

Vermont Stakes Claim in America East

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/story/sports/college/2015/01/10/column-vermont-stakes-claim-america-east/21575873/

Edited by MsGDG