UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany (3-2) - Albany Cup 2016 - Sun 11/27 @ 7PM

Eli

I am surprised with all of the Patsos & Brown drama that there is only 2 pages on this board. Do all of you speak about UA on twitter or FB or somewhere else? If so please let me know. (Have read this board for many years & enjoyed all of you guys posts, not intended as a slight) just thought would be more than 2 pages. Thanks!

I am surprised with all of the Patsos & Brown drama that there is only 2 pages on this board. Do all of you speak about UA on twitter or FB or somewhere else? If so please let me know. (Have read this board for many years & enjoyed all of you guys posts, not intended as a slight) just thought would be more than 2 pages. Thanks!

Unlike the other fan base (who has 2-3 threads about UAlbany going at any one time), we rarely discuss LCC here as they can't hold a candle to us in ways more than one.

There is a new FB group, but it's not very busy.

EDIT: I think I misunderstood (it's late). There are hundreds of pages, you just have to change your filter settings (near the top of the thread list). I had this issue last year.

Edited by Eli

From the Daily Gazette (I'm really liking their coverage since Mark McGuire has joined them)...

Charlie Voelker, UAlbany’s associate athletic director of external affairs, said Tuesday afternoon that about 155 of only the $40 tickets remain, and a sellout of the 4,538 seat SEFCU Arena is assured. “There may be a possibility that standing-room tickets will be made available,” he added.

He said up to 250 standing-room-only tickets could open up.

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2016/nov/23/albcup_1123/?dgzrg

Would seem possible that people with SRO tickets could fill in bench seats if not all the student tickets are used come game time. Creates a win-win..sell more tickets and still end up with a full arena.

Edited by Phoenix

I cant see how close to 1000 students dont show up. In 2000-04 when I was at UA I was the only one of my friends (would grab one other) that attended a regular game at the RACC. All of my friends and large % of frat, aquaintances would attend the Syracuse and/or Siena game at the Pepsi Arena? Cant see how after all the success & recognition that 1000 would be difficult ON CAMPUS? Well see I guess! Lets go danes and have fun to all on here who will be attending!

It's still technically thanksgiving break.

We used to get sizable crowds of students at University Gym back in the D3 days. There are so many more distractions available now in terms of electronic entertainment that I believe it affects turnout. Also, this game will be televised locally on Time Warner Sports, so staying home and watching for free is an option that did not used to be available. Or in the case of students, multi tasking a term paper while keeping an eye on the game. I've never seriously considered buying BB season tickets because most all games are on TV or streamed. I know it's not the same as attending in person, but when I weigh the inconvenience of the trip, the walk from Dutch, the expense of the ticket, etc, the choice is easy for me. Plus the vagaries of winter weather. I appreciate all of you who make the sacrifice and attend regularly. On the other hand, I attended most of the WSOC games this year at Casey and even the one at LCC. Pretty sure that I'll be a Fallon this spring for a sampling of games. And I've never missed a FB game at Casey. I'll listen for you Eli.

Until the fire marshals intervened, even the aisles in University Gym were occupied by fans. What emerged then were two solid sides of people in a relatively small space compared to SEFCU. When that older gym was packed, it really rocked. As I have posted here before, I have reliable information from a friend who was close to a circle of college referees. These referees stated that our fans were so loud in that gym that the referees couldn't hear each other's whistles. What a great atmosphere!

I'll post this excerpt again. Although it comes from thirteen years ago, I think it might still be relevant as we host LCC for only the first time in the last 15 years.

I would like to share an article with all the posters and readers of this forum. For me, the article describes perhaps the most exciting and intense — and gratifying — basketball game I have ever seen. The article appeared on page C-10 of the Times Union on Sunday, February 10, 1974.

“A built-up flood of emotion from a highly-partisan Albany crowd was as big a factor as any in State’s nail-biting victory over visiting Siena Saturday.
“Roughly three-quarters of the Standing Room Only crowd were Great Dane rooters, and they packed University Gym early and then decorated it with huge, mostly profane posters.
“Many of State’s fans saw the game as a chance for their smaller underdog Danes to knock off a bigger, more publicized team.
“For Rudy Vido (State ‘75), beating Siena was a strong feeling that had been burning inside. ‘It’s like the difference between good weather and a snowstorm,’ he said.
“Siena’s fans’ reactions before the game ranged from a modest, ‘Siena will win,’ to an analysis of why the Great Danes would be in trouble tonight.
“The tension between Dane fans [and] Siena counterparts rose steadily as the second half of the JV game wore down on.
“Although outnumbered, Siena’s supporters were up to the task, screaming word-for-word with the Albany crowd, including its most vocal group, the Albany State Potter Club.
“By game-time, everyone of the nearly 3,000 spectators were psyched and ready.
“When Siena dominated the first half, the gym belonged to Indian fans, and they took full advantage of it, hurling chants and taunts at the Albany majority.
“Halftime brought relief for the subdued Albany fans, when some of their members paraded their posters around the court.
“Regrouping as the Albany team did, the State fans came alive in the second half.
“By the time the minutes dwindled down to a precious few, the Great Dane partisans, whom Doc Sauers said were worth a good 10 points to his team, reached full stride.
“The sides of the gym became seas of clapping hands with clenched fists of victory jutting in and out.
“The Albany fans[‘] favorite tactic, stomping feet and rhythmic [clapping] took on the characteristics of a fast approaching train, spurred on by their team’s rally.
“And though the Siena fans battled to the buzzer with their team, State got in the last word both on and off the court.
“The second after the game was decided, the Dane rooters got in the last chant of the evening, ‘Check that score!”

Less than a week later, I attended a basketball game in the Hudson Valley where I teach. The refs doing that game were talking animatedly about the Albany-Siena game. Especially emphasized was the observation that the refs working the Albany game could not hear each other’s whistles, so loud were the State fans.

• Like 1

71, I'm glad you posted this as it reinforces my memory of hellishly loud crowds and rowdy fans. I've posted before that I recall the chants of "beat Albany High" vs "beat St Rose". Probably didn't hurt that you could get liquored up legally at 18 back then. Lol. Good times I tell ya!

Forgot, Rudy Vido....now he was one scary dude...big! Great football player.

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 1

71, I'm glad you posted this as it reinforces my memory of hellishly loud crowds and rowdy fans. I've posted before that I recall the chants of "beat Albany High" vs "beat St Rose". Probably didn't hurt that you could get liquored up legally at 18 back then. Lol. Good times I tell ya!

Yes, great times back then, although I'm not normally a huge fan of nostalgia. I should have also emphasized Doc's words about the fans being worth of 10 points. That's the most relevant reason why I posted the memory -- the application for this coming Sunday. I firmly believe that the number one reason why LCC doesn't want to come to SEFCU is the force of our fans. I don't buy their rationale at all that many of the area's fans will be shut out. If they're interested in being part of the experience, they will buy tickets. They flat out fear the reception they will receive in our house.

Mid-day update, cause I have nothing better to do lol:

Sec.	Tue.	Wed.	Thu.	Fri.	Sat.	Sun.
100	69	57				
150	2	1				
200	1	1				
250	2	1				
300	5	5				
350	0	0				
400	0	0				
450	0	0				
500	2	2				
550	4	2				
600	0	0				
650	0	0				
700	76	61				
750	0	0				
800	0	0				
850	0	0				
Total	161	130				

Edited by Eli

From the Daily Gazette (I'm really liking their coverage since Mark McGuire has joined them)...

Charlie Voelker, UAlbany’s associate athletic director of external affairs, said Tuesday afternoon that about 155 of only the $40 tickets remain, and a sellout of the 4,538 seat SEFCU Arena is assured. “There may be a possibility that standing-room tickets will be made available,” he added.

Would seem possible that people with SRO tickets could fill in bench seats if not all the student tickets are used come game time. Creates a win-win..sell more tickets and still end up with a full arena.

Saw a black Friday special for standing room only for $25 and I am sure the view of the court from there would still be better than an equivalent $25 seat at LCC for one of there games. Not that I would ever give them my money to see some(whoever is not suspended at the time) of their players play :)

Saw a black Friday special for standing room only for $25 and I am sure the view of the court from there would still be better than an equivalent $25 seat at LCC for one of there games. Not that I would ever give them my money to see some(whoever is not suspended at the time) of their players play :)

$25 will get you lower level between the baskets at the TUC

$25 will get you lower level between the baskets at the TUC

Nope

“A” Games:

$35.00: 104-106, 119-121

$28.00: 103, 107, 118, 122

$27.00: 206-208, 228-230 Rows B-J

http://www.timesunioncenter-albany.com/siena-mens-basketball-2016-2017